Picture courtesy of Barry Johnson (Milford Trawlers)
Official Number: 162060
Yard Number: 537
Gross Tonnage: 222
Net Tonnage: 99
Length: 115 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby, 1912
Engine: 70nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 10 knots
29.8.1912: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.537) for Soc Anon des Pêcheries à Vapeur, Ostend as ISA.
9.10.1912: Completed. Registered at Ostend (O81).
28.10.1914: Commenced fishing from Milford.
6.2.1915: On the Irish grounds (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie), sighted the TERESAE of Genoa in difficulties. In choppy seas and WNW strong breeze connected and commenced tow to Milford.
8.2.1915: Delivered Milford after stormy passage.
27.10.1916: Fishing off the Smalls in gale force conditions (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie) sighted smack FIERY CROSS (R281) with damaged mizzen and no steerage. With difficulty hauled net and connected to casualty to tow her clear of the Smalls. At 2330 in heavy seas, tow parted.
28.10.1916: At dawn in blinding rain ENE of the Smalls the tow was reconnected but at 2330 making for the entrance at St. Ann’s Head the tow parted again. Just before midnight tow was reconnected.
29.10.1916: At 1330 delivered Milford.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve (with owners permission).
12.6.1917: On Irish grounds (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie) at 0100 picked up a boat with twenty-three survivors from the BAY STATE (6583grt/) torpedoed (10.6) by U.66 250 miles NW of Fastnet.
18.6.1917: Sailed Milford for fishing grounds off Ireland (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie).
20.6.1917: Picked up eighteen crew members of ENGLISH MONARCH (4947grt/1905) torpedoed without warning three days previously (18.6) by U.24 300 miles NW of Fastnet (52.06N 17.30W). Survivors in poor shape after 60 hours in boat. Set course for Milford.
21.6.1917: Stopped by two patrol vessels and told not to proceed as enemy submarine in the area. Landed survivors at Queenstown and returned to fishing.
2.7.1917: Off Bull Rock (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie) at about 2300 picked up twenty-four survivors of the Italian steamer PHOEBUS (3133grt/1894) torpedoed (30.6) by UC.44 off Berehaven. Hoisted boat and proceeded to Milford.
3.7.1917: Transferred survivors to RN sloop.
1917: Fitted with 6pdr gun at Swansea.
4 12.1917: Fishing south of the Smalls (Capitaine Louis Philippe Dedrie). in company with EMMANUEL (O87), ARIES (M97) and LOLIST (LT427). About 6.00 am. a submarine surfaced about 11/2 miles away. Trawlers hauled and under smoke screen, Capt Dedrie hoisted White Ensign and zig-zagged at speed towards the submarine firing all the time. Pursued submarine for 18-20 miles before he submerged.
1919: Released. John Bauwens, manager.
30.12.1919: Last landing at Milford.
23.11.1928: About 10 miles ENE of the Smalls, stood by Belgian trawler LUCIENNE-JEANNE (O153) (S.A. Pêcheries du Nord, Ostend) in distress.
4.1930: Sold to The Cevic Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Charles H. Friswell, manager).
4.1930: Ostend registry closed.
4.4.1930: Registered at Fleetwood as ISER (FD79).
10.8.1932: Arrived Tobermory with Belgian trawler ALBERT (O75) (Pêcheries à Vapeur, Ostend) in tow picked up 12 miles off Helsker with net fouling propeller.
23.01.1934: Caught in a severe storm off the Isle of Man. Crew barricaded the engine room door to keep the water out.
6.1935: On a trip to Donegal Bay grounds (Sk. Somers).
22.6.1935: Seized by Civic Guards disguised as fishermen whilst fishing in prescribed area of Glengad Head and trawler taken into Loch Swilly by local fishermen.
22.6.1935: At Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, Sk. Somers fined £37 and trawler detained pending payment. Fleetwood trawlers seen as a “poaching menace”.
Pre 8.1938: Laid up at Fleetwood.
2.1943: Sold to R. G. Parsley, Milford Haven (Don Trawling Co (Milford Haven) Ltd).
15.10.1948: When off St. Ann’s Head (Sk. E. Bracher), contacted by STAR of PEACE (M133) (Sk. J. Mair) which had sprung a leak. Crew taken onboard, but Sk. Mair stayed behind; at 7.00 a.m. connected and commenced tow. At 9.30 a.m. Sk. Mair left the ship and shortly afterwards she went down.
12.05 p.m. Crew landed at Milford.
20.8.1953: Last landing at Milford.
1.1954 Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
9.1.1954: Arrived Castle Pill, Milford Haven.
1954: Fleetwood registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
26/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
20/03/2015: Information updated.
14/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.