Additional information courtesy of Mike Craine
Official Number: 80453
Yard Number: 31
Gross Tonnage: 131
Net Tonnage: 40
Length: 100.5 ft
Breadth: 18.0 ft
Depth: 8.8 ft
Built: H. M. McIntyre, Paisley
Engine: 2 x 2-cyl by Hutson & Corbett, Kelvinhaugh, Glasgow
13.3.1879: Launched by H. M. McIntyre, Paisley (Yd.No.31) for James O’Brien (64/64), Renfrew as ROSE ANN.
1897: Completed as a steam lighter. Registered at Glasgow.
1890; Sold to Isabella McCallum (64/64), Renfrew.
1891: Sold to George Rookin Nicholson (59/64), Wallasey and John William Thompson (5/64), Liverpool. Glasgow registry closed. Registered at Liverpool (105/1891). George R. Nicholson designated managing owner.
15.12.1891: George R. Nicholson sold (5/64) shares to Henry Ingram Thompson (5/64), Liverpool.
8.1892: Liverpool Registry closed.
2.8.1892: Registered at Douglas, IoM.
6.6.1895: George R. Nicholson sold (54/64) shares to Robert Knox (54/64), Douglas, IoM.
6.6.1895: John W. Thompson sold (5/64) to Robert Knox (59/64), Douglas. Converted for trawling and registered at Douglas (DO241).
23.6.1895: Hired by Liverpool Marine Biology Committee for research into the fauna of Liverpool Bay and Neighbouring Seas and dredged to the W and NW of Peel and Ballaugh, on the ‘North Bank’ at depths of about 20 fathoms.
27.10.1895: Hired by Liverpool Marine Biology Committee for further research and dredged and trawled off Port Erin and along SE side of Island from Calf Sound to Langness at depths of 15 – 20 fathoms.
6.6.1896: Henry I. Thompson sold (5/64) shares to Robert Knox (64/64) Douglas.
15.4.1897: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Henry Gordon, Onchan, IoM for the sum of £250 with interest at 4% (A).
20.5.1898: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Dumbells Banking Co Ltd, Douglas, IoM for the sum of £1,700 with interest at 6% (B).
7.6.1899: Henry Gordon died.
4.11.1899: In a southerly gale in the Solway Firth, picked up the Norwegian barque CORDILLERA (694grt/1874) which had broken away from the tugs KNIGHT of St. GEORGE (129grt/1885) and PRAIRIE COCK (125grt/1885) off the Point of Ayr and was carried before the gale into the Firth. The PRAIRIE COCK, which had been seeking her arrived and the tow was transferred and about 2.00pm. the KNIGHT of St. GEORGE came up with them. The two tugs with the ROSE ANN standing by proceeded to Ramsey Bay.
6.11.1899: Delivered safely to Ramsey. Through the Court in the Isle of Man awarded £300.
14.3.1900: Probate granted to Edward Gordon, Bembridge, IoW and Rachel Gordon, Onchan (64/64 joint owners in respect of mortgage (A)).
18.5.1901: Mortgage (B) discharged.
30.4.1901: Robert Knox mortgaged vessel (64/64) to Horace Lightfoot, Douglas, IoM for the sum of £500 with interest at 5% (C).
4.2.1902: Mortgage (A) discharged.
27.2.1906: Whilst lying alongside the Tongue in Douglas Harbour, three Peel fishermen were overcome by fumes in the forecastle and died*.
20.8.1906: Rachel Gordon died – Edward Gordon, Bembridge IoW (64/64).
28.7.1914: Mortgage (C) discharged.
1.5.1915: Robert Knox mortgaged vessel (64/64) to The Lancashire & Yorkshire Bank Ltd, Manchester (D).
10.8.1915: Mortgage (D) discharged.
24.8.1915: Remeasured 125g 45n
30.8.1915: Sold by John Knox (64/64) to Richard Phillips (64/64), Douglas.
30.8.1915: Richard Phillips designated managing owner.
29.11.1915: Legal action by Richard Phillips in respect of 64 shares. By order of the High Court of Justice of the Isle of Man, transfer or dealings prohibited until further notice.
17.3.1916: Injunction removed.
5.4.1916: Sold to Henry Mulleneux Grayson (64/64), Liverpool.
7.4.1916: John Aurthur Swainston, London appointed manager.
23.6.1916: Sold to The General Trading Co Ltd (64/64), Douglas.
10.7.1916: Alfred Ellis Ash, New Brighton appointed manager.
5.1.1918: Sold to John George Hammond (64/64), London.
7.1.1918: Sold to The Premier Tug Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
8.1.1918: John G. Hammond, London appointed manager.
9.1.1918: William Henry Miller appointed manager.
1924: Sold to The Dover Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Dover for breaking up.
21.3.1924: Douglas registry closed.
Note * – William Clucas, John Watterson and John Hughes.
Click to enlarge image
05/12/2014: Page published.
12/12/2015: Picture added.