Tag Archives: Boston DSF & I

S.T. Skirbeck BN81

Additional information courtesy of Gary Hicks Plymouth Merchant Ships

Technical

Official Number: 108561
Yard Number: 597
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 171.35
Net Tonnage: 66.08
Length: 110.0 ft
Breadth: 21.0 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Built: Edwards Bros, North Shields
Engine: 350ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

27.9.1898: Launched by Edwards Bros, North Shields (Yd.No.597) for Wilfred Jackson (64/64), Plymouth (managing owner) as FLUCIE FLOSS.
5.12.1898: Registered at Plymouth (PH404).
5.12.1898: Wilfred Jackson c/o J. K. Mackrill & Sons, Grimsby designated managing owner.
12.1898: Completed.
29.12.1898: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to James Harry Edwards & George Straker Falk Edwards, North Shields (joint mortgagees) (A).
5.5.1899: Mortgage (A) transferred to Arthur Leslie Melville & Eustace Abel Smith, Lincoln (joint mortgagees).
28.3.1900: Sold to Smiths Dock Co Ltd, North Shields.
31.3.1900: Eustace Smith, Grimsby appointed manager.
28.3.1900: Sold to The Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Boston.
4.4.1900: Mortgage (A) discharged.
9.4.1900: James Bloomfield appointed manager.
27.6.1900: Registered at Plymouth as SKIRBECK (PH404) (BoT Minute M10492 dated 25.6.1900).
27.6.1900: Plymouth registry closed.
6.1900: Registered at Boston (BN81).
By 1906: Fred Dennison appointed manager.
By 1909: Thomas D. Donaldson appointed manager). Fishing out of Fleetwood.
8.8.1910: Observed fishing and hauling inside the limits in Cardigan Bay.
23.9.1910: At Aberayron Magistrates Court, Sk. William Powley was charged with fishing inside the limits off Llandow, Cardigan Bay. Pleaded guilty and fined £15 and 3gns advocate’s fee.
1913: Daniel Walker appointed manager.
22.8.1914: On a North Sea trip (Sk. J. Baker), stopped by German minelaying cruiser SMS ALBATROSS, crew taken prisoner and trawler sunk by gunfire. Crew interned in Germany.
09.1914: Boston registry closed.
7.1915: Sk. Baker died in hospital due in no small part to the conditions in which he was detained.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Skirbeck BN81

S.T. Skirbeck BN81
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Skirbeck BN81

S.T. Skirbeck BN81
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Skirbeck BN81

S.T. Skirbeck BN81
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Changelog

03/01/2014: Page published. 11 revisions since then.
30/11/2014: Information updated.
30/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
11/03/2019: Added an image.

S.T. Cleopatra II M213

Technical

Official Number: 127404
Yard Number: 360
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 240
Net Tonnage: 71
Length: 120.2 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Co Ltd, Wallsend
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

8.10.1907: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.360) for David Pettit, Milford Haven (managing owner) as CLEOPATRA.
18.11.1907: Registered at Milford (M213).
11.1907: Completed.
24.1.1910: Laying to in heavy gale and shipping seas, 275 miles W by 1/4S from St. Ann’s Head, lost boat and other damage (Sk. J. Bryant).
31.10.1910: Fishing 240 miles W by S from St. Ann’s Head, caught gear of ABELARD (M17). Port bow damaged by ABELARD when hauling (Sk. George Gibbs).
12.3.1914: In heavy seas proceeding to Crook Haven, Co. Cork for shelter (Sk. Walter Smith). Ch. Eng., John Bowen (37) slipped when getting up ashes and was lost overboard and drowned.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.140).
12.1914: Renamed CLEOPATRA II.
21.1.1915: Registered at Milford as CLEOPATRA II (M213). Based Portsmouth.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Milford Haven (David Pettit managing owner).
25.9.1932: Entering Baltimore, Co. Cork stranded on NW corner of Perch Rock.
26.9.1932: Refloated with assistance.
20.10.1934: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
21.11.1934: Sold to Harley & Miller Ltd, Liverpool (Richard H. Jones, Wallasey, manager).
21.11.1934: Milford registry closed.
11.1934: Registered at Liverpool (LL47).
7.1937: Sold to Edgar E. Carter, Milford Haven (Westward Trawling Co Ltd).
11.1937: Liverpool registry closed.
12.7.1937: Registered at Milford (M235).
29.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties (employed as auxiliary patrol). Renamed TEAZER (Hire rate £60.0.0d/month).
2.1940: Returned and reverted to CLEOPATRA II (M235).
1.1960: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Cork for breaking up.
12.1.1960: Sailed Milford for Cork (Sk. Tom Salter).
21.3.1960: Milford registry closed.

Changelog

20/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Braconlea A227

Technical

Official Number: 137620
Yard Number: 584
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 200
Net Tonnage: 76
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

9.1.1920: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.584) for Charles H. George, Caister on Sea, Gt Yarmouth as DONUM MARIS.
6.8.1920: Registered at Gt. Yarmouth (YH227).
7.1920: Completed.
12.8.1920: Sold to Don Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John S. Doeg, manager).
14.9.1920: Yarmouth registry closed.
23.9.1920: Registered at Aberdeen as BRACONLEA (A227).
17.3.1940: In North Sea in company with AVONDEE (A826), bombed by German aircraft; no damage sustained and fire returned.
1942: Company and fleet sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
7.1945: Sold to Haven Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (R. P. Lewis, manager).
1946: Sold to John W. Johnstone, Aberdeen.
5.10.1952: In strong gale decided to make for Mid Yell Voe, Shetland to shelter (Sk. William Summers). At entrance to Voe struck rocks at the Baas of Hascosay and immediately started to take water. Boat launched and requested assistance by radio and siren. Already at anchor in the Voe sheltering was the Aberdeen steam trawler GEORGE H. HASTIE (SN274); weighed anchor and with local boat in tow proceeded to the casualty. Crew transferred by local boats to GEORGE H. HASTIE and landed at Mid Yell.
6.19.1952: With exception of Skipper and Ch. Engineer, crew embarked in STRATHLEVEN (A47) for Aberdeen. Subsequently declared a CTL. Aberdeen registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Braconlea A227

S.T. Braconlea A227
Picture courtesy of The Mark Stopper Collection

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
14/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Braconmoor A143

Technical

Official Number: 162276
Yard Number: 632
Completed: 1931
Gross Tonnage: 356
Net Tonnage: 163
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

23.12.1930: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.632) for Don Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as BRACONMOOR.
1.1931: Completed (John S. Doeg, manager).
23.1.1931: Registered at Aberdeen (A143).
1.1.1939: On the Faroe fishing grounds (Sk. James Morrison), skipper fell overboard and deckhand James Henderson jumped in the water to save him. Sk. Morrison was recovered but there was no sign of James Henderson; presumed drowned.
27.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.686) (Hire rate £185.8.4d/month).
14.4.1941: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
8.1946: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to Government of Poland, Warsaw (Ministry of Industry & Commerce) (“Dalmor” Przedsiobiorstwo Polowow Dalekomorskich Sp.z.ogr.odp, Gdynia, managers) under the UNRRA scheme.
6.8.1946: Alteration of tonnage. Certificate of Survey at Cardiff 31.7.1946 – 356.15g 155.61n.
9.8.1946: Aberdeen registry closed.
8.1946: Registered at Gdynia as WEGA (GDY??).
20.3.1966: Sold for breaking up at Gdansk. Gdynia registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

HMT Braconmoor

HMT Braconmoor
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Wega GDY 92

S.T. Wega GDY 92
Picture courtesy of Shetland Maritime Museum

S.T. Wega GDY 92

S.T. Wega GDY 92
Picture courtesy of Shetland Maritime Museum

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
09/06/2016: Information updated.
14/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
16/05/2018: Added images.

S.T. Almandine H415

Technical

Official Number: 163097
Yard Number: 572
Completed: 1932
Gross Tonnage: 295 (287)
Net Tonnage: 135n (126)
Length: 129.0 ft
Breadth: 24.0 ft
Depth: 12.9 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

27.9.1929: The Board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd requested Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd to submit a design for a new class of trawler for use on the North Sea and Faroes grounds.
18.12.1929: Design was approved and contracts signed with the shipyard to build the ships and with Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd to make the engine and boiler at a total cost of £14,025. The name chosen was AVANTURINE (Yd.No.542). In the tender the shipyard included the option to build additional vessels to this design at the same price.
19.1.1931: The option was exercised and a further two vessels ordered, the price agreed was £13,850 and names chosen SIBERITE (Yd.No.564) and EUCLUSE (Yd.No.565).
20.1.1932: Two further vessels were ordered the price agreed being £13,450. The names chosen were ALMANDINE and PYROPE.
Total cost for ALMANDINE, with amendments, fishing gear and other equipment £14,024.11.10d.
5.4.1932: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.572) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ALMANDINE.
30.4.1932: Registered at Hull (H415).
12.5.1932: Completed (John William Lown, manager).
14.5.1932: Sailed on first trip to Faroe grounds.
4.8.1932: Landed 641 kits of herring grossed £361.
19.10.1933: In strong SSE wind connected to trawler De la POLE (H395) disabled with fouled propeller.
20.10.1933: Delivered Hull (awarded £250 by Hull Steam Trawlers Mutual Insurance & Protecting Co Ltd).
19.11.1938: On St. Andrew’s dock slip fitted with bronze propeller.
30.5.1939: In Princess Dock, Hull. Boiler fitted with superheater by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd.
25.7.1939: Insured value £13,900.
29.8.1939: Admiralty telegram informing owners that ship would be requisitioned at 5.00 pm.
30.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service (Hire rate £162.5.0d/month).
1.9.1939: Sailed for London with RN crew. Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No. FY645).
1940: Based Grimsby with M/S Group 40 (Ch. Sk. A. Robb, RNR).
10.2.1940: Steam trawler THERESA BOYLE (GN4) (Sk. Oliver Bell) damaged by German air attack when fishing 115 miles ExN of Aberdeen. Took to boat and vessel foundered.
12 .2.1940: At 4.30 p.m. RAF aircraft overflew boat, rocket fired. Aircraft communicated with HM Trawlers BRABANT (GY544) (P.No.FY.586) and ALMANDINE (H415) (P.No.FY.645), ‘sweeping 10 miles away. After 50 hours in open boat picked up by ALMANDINE and landed at ?? at 6.00 p.m. all crew suffering from exposure.
1.1941: At Grimsby (Ty/ Sk. S. A. White RNR).
5.1.1943: Returning in company to the Humber in a storm with snow squalls, stranded on a sand bank. Spurn lifeboat attended and at great risk to herself took off nineteen crew and landed them on the beach. Refloated on flood, tug connected and after taking off three remaining crew, proceeded to Grimsby.
10.7.1945: Off Lizard Point, Cornwall picked up eleven survivors from HM Trawler KURD (H344/P.No.FY639) (Ty/Act Lt Cdr Roy Barratt RNR) which had been mined with loss of sixteen crew including CO*.
22.5.1946: Returned after refurbishment at Hull by Stewart & Graig Ltd.
22.5.1946: Sailed on trip to Faroe grounds.
30.9.1948: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager) for £27,500.
10.1959: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
10.1959: Remeasured 287g 126n.
16.2.1960: Reginald James Parry appointed manager.
17.2.1962: Sold to Hammond Lane Metal Co Ltd, Dublin (Donald James Flavin, manager).
2.3.1962: Sold to Mrs Daisy Pretoria Carter, Milford Haven (Alastair Adams, manager).
1962: Laid up at Milford.
10.6.1963: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
10.1963: Sold to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
7.12.1963: Arrived Troon Harbour (draughts 6’0”/15’3”).
16.12.1963: Breaking commenced.
30.1.1964: Beached (draughts 7’0”/8’9”).
17.3.1964: Rebeached.
16.4.1964: Breaking completed.
15.6.1964: Hull registry closed “Broken up”.

(MPK* – Ty/Act Lt Cdr Roy Barrett RNR; Ty/Sub Lieut. Ronald W. Wooden RNVR; Edwin Spooner, Ch.Engineman; Edward H. F. Ranson, Engineman; Cyril G. Lowe, PO; William Bassett, Ldg Seaman; Frederick W. H. Griffiths, Ldg Cook; Thomas A. Aitken, John G. Bond, Vincent Ware, Charles R, Wright, Seamen; Dennis R.H. Faulkner, Arthur G. Bunnett, Ord Seamen; Patrick J. McQuade, Telegraphist; Insull C. Guest, Stoker; Kenneth G. Bray, Stoker 2c)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Almandine H415

S.T. Almandine H415 Picture courtesy of Grimsby Reference Library

S.T. Almandine H415

S.T. Almandine H415
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Almandine H415

S.T. Almandine H415
Picture courtesy of The Phil Smith Collection

Changelog

20/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
14/04/2014: Picture added.
08/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
19/06/2019: Updated information.