Tag Archives: Dinas

S.T. Lady Enid FD4

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3832
Official Number: 144277
Yard Number: 841
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 324
Net Tonnage: 131
Length: 138.5 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 96hp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

13.2.1918: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.841) (“Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN JEFFERSON (Ad.No.3834).
18.4.1918: Completed as an armed trawler (1-12pdr, 1-3.5” A/S Howitzer, Hydrophone and W/T).
23.4.1918: Accepted.
03.02.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I & IV) as JOHN JEFFERSON O.N.144277 (LO302).
By 18.06.1920: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London and engaged in commercial trawling.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
04.1921: Paid off. Laid up.
09.1921: At John I. Thornycroft & Co Ltd, Woolston fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Southampton.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
9.1922: Sold to Thomas Hamling & Co Ltd, Hull.
4.10.1922: London registry closed.
18.10.1922: Registered at Hull as St. AMANT (H702). Harold Hall, Hessle appointed manager.
3.1926: Arrested at Iceland for illegal fishing.
10.10.1935: Sailed Hull for White Sea grounds on last trip before sale (Sk. Wardle).
4.11.1935: At Hull landed 929 kits grossed £558.
5.11.1935: Sold to Trident Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (George A. Ledger, manager).
9.11.1935: Sailed Hull for Faroe grounds on first trip for new owners (Sk. S. Blackshaw).
23.11.1935: At Hull landed 209 kits grossed £282.
12.12.1935: Registered at Hull as LYNESS (H702).
30.12.1938: Sold to Jutland Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd, Hull (Edward Cargill, manager).
24.4.1939: Registered at Hull as LADY ENID (H702).
25.7.1939: Insured value £6,700.
26.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service and as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.547) (Hire rate £96.18.0d/month).
6.1941: Based Portland with M/S Group 49 (Ch Sk. R. Masson RNR).
13.8.1942: Sold to The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (J. Marr & Son Ltd, managers).
11.12.1945: Reclassed at Manchester and returned to owner.
21.12.1945: Sold to Henderson’s Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (J. Marr & Son Ltd, managers).
7.2.1949: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (David Marr, manager).
21.2.1949: Hull registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD4).
4.5.1954: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £7000.
19.5.1954: Last landing at Fleetwood (West of Scotland – 289 boxes, grossed £1,767).
1.6.1954: Sold to BISCO for breaking up and allocated to Rees Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Llanelli.
6.6.1954: Sailed Fleetwood for Llanelli.
1954: Fleetwood registry closed.

(John Jefferson (aka Jefferies), OS (volunteer), age 22, b. Finsbury Square, London – VICTORY (SB233))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Lady Enid FD4

S.T. Lady Enid FD4
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
28/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
25/11/2016: Information updated.
06/12/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Sea Sweeper FD171

Technical

Official Number: 139276
Yard Number: 321
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 329
Net Tonnage: 138
Length: 136 ft
Breadth: 24 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 100nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed: 11 knots

History

31.5.1915: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.321) for Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as SEA SWEEPER.
27.11.1915: Registered at Hull (H409).
9.12.1915: Completed (Richard Henry Hobbs, manager).
1.1916: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, Hydrophone) (Ad.No.1979). Based Harwich.
12.4.1917: Arrived Falmouth.
17.12.1917: Sailed Falmouth for Portland.
1918: Aegean Sea.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
3.11.1919: Sold to Fresh Fish Supplies Ltd, Hull (Thomas Nightingale, manager).
8.2.1922: Sold to Thomas Hamling & Co Ltd, Hull (Harold Hall, manager) along with SEA MONARCH (H411) for £11,500 each.
6.1.1926: Thomas Boyd appointed manager.
4.5.1928: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph Arthur Marr Jnr, manager) along with SEA MONARCH (H411) for £7,000 each.
10.5.1928: Hull registry closed.
1.6.1928: Mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London.
11.6.1928: Registered at Fleetwood (FD171).
11.1939: On a trip to Co. Donegal grounds (Sk. A. Tomlinson); eleven crew.
20.11.1939: Trawling 25 miles NW by W of Tory Island, Co. Donegal at 5.05 pm. stopped by U-boat (U.33) crew abandoned to boat and subsequently sunk by gunfire; crew picked up by steam trawler LOIS (FD424).
28.11.1939: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by enemy action”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Sea Sweeper FD171

S.T. Sea Sweeper FD171
Picture courtesy of John Baird

Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. St Clair FD15

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 118797
Yard Number: 357
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 255
Net Tonnage: 94
Length: 128.3 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.0 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
Engine: 500ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

23.11.1903: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.357) for Thomas Hamling & Co Ltd, Hull as St. CLAIR.
1.1.1904: Registered at Hull (H803).
1.1904: Completed (John Robinson, manager).
9.4.1904: On a trip (Sk. Hambling). Stood by wooden full rigged ship SIGRID (1003grt/1865) (Capt Carl Gabrielsen) dismasted off Westray, Orkney on passage Trondheim – Mobile. Master declined tow.
11.4.1904: SIGRID foundered 8 miles NW by W of Noup Head, Westray, Orkney. Crew taken onboard and landed in Orkney. Capt Gabrielsen later charged with sinking the ship with criminal intent.
1913: Harold Hall appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 102.74net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
28.8.1914: Arrived Hull from fishing grounds with the dead body of the engineer and four crew members of the Buckie drifter BARLEY RIG (BCK145) which had been picked up the previous day from a small boat off Blyth. The BARLEY RIG with a crew of nine had been mined of the NE coast and they had been five hours in the boat.
8.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr, 1-3pdr) (Ad.No.296). Based Aegean Sea.
12.3.1919: Waiting instructions whether required for Post-War Service (SS).
1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
2.10.1924: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood (Joseph A. Marr, manager).
3.10.1924: Hull registry closed.
6.10.1924: Registered at Fleetwood (FD15).
23.6.1935: Arrived Oban with boiler trouble and repairs undertaken.
1936: Joseph A. Marr, Jnr appointed manager.
3.10.1936: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London (A).
Pre 8.1938: Laid up at Fleetwood.
13.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out at Barry as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1876) (Hire rate £63.15.0d/month).
15.9.1940: Renamed SUN SPOT.
1942: Mortgage (A) discharged.
1942: Sold to Northern Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. William Alfred Bennett appointed manager.
5.1945: Returned to owner. Reverted to St. CLAIR (FD15).
25.11.1946: Fleetwood registry closed.
26.11.46: Registered at Grimsby (GY387).
23.1.1948: Alteration to tonnage and other particulars. Certificate of Survey at West Hartlepool dated 9.5.1947. 246.72grt 93.75net.
10.5.1948: Sold to Associated Trawlers (Gt. Yarmouth) Ltd (64/64), Great Yarmouth.
18.5.1948: Albert Edward Bewley, Gorleston appointed manager.
31.5.1948: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
6.1.1949: Mortgage (A) discharged.
20.1.1949: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
11.8.1949: Sailed Yarmouth for West of Scotland grounds (Sk.Frederick Thomsett).
23.8.1949: Homeward to Gt. Yarmouth with a good catch, in thick fog in the Pentland Firth stranded on Isle of Stroma. Refloated but wind and tide carried across the Firth, grounding on rocks off Island of Swona; all crew taken off by lifeboat.
28.8.1949: Wreck declared a total loss and later sold to local company for breaking up in situ.
3.4.1950: Mortgage (B) discharged.
17.4.1950: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel foundered 23.8.1949”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. St Clair FD15

S.T. St Clair FD15
Picture courtesy of John Stevenson

S.T. St Clair H803

S.T. St Clair H803

S.T. St. Clair GY387

S.T. St. Clair GY387

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 4 revisions since then.
17/08/2014: Picture added.
22/06/2016: Information updated.
16/07/2016: Picture added.

S.T. Clevela FD94

Additional material courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number 162061
Yard Number: 1073
Completed:1930
Gross Tonnage: 355
Net Tonnage: 140
Length: 140.0 ft
Breadth: 25 ft
Depth: 13.4 ft
Engine: 97HP T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

(In 1935 the Hull trawler Leonidas (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken)

15.2.1930: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd. No.1073) for J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood as CLEVELA.
10.3.1930: Completed (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
7.4.1930: Registered at Fleetwood (FD94).
1934: Transferred to City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Leslie James Marr, manager) after J. Marr & Son Ltd bought the company.
1938: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, managers). Fishing from Hull.
17.11.1938: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 155.5 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re measured 387g 151n.
9.8.1939: Sailed Hull for White Sea grounds (Sk. William Drever).
1.9.1939: At Hull landed 1,767 kits grossed £1,552.
2.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (P.No.FY.678) (Hire rate £202.12.11d/month).
1940: Based Grimsby with M/S Group 19.
2.1946: Sold to Trident Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
2.1946: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.2.1946: Registered at Hull (H201).
13.5.1946: Returned after survey and restoration at Liverpool.
15.5.1946: Sailed Hull on first trip to Icelandic grounds (Sk. C. Johansen).
5.6.1946: At Hull landed 1,661 kits grossed £1,819 (depressed market).
11.10.1946: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (David Marr, manager).
2.11.1946: Last landing at Hull, from White Sea grounds (Sk. C. Johansen), 1,507 kits grossed £4,490.
11.12.1947: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Percy Lincoln Campbell, manager).
17.6.1948: Hull registry closed.
6.1948: Registered at London as RED PLUME (LO419). Transferred to Fleetwood (Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO, manager).
10.8.1955: Sold to Thos. Hamling & Co Ltd, Hull (Harold Watson Hall, manager) for £17,000 plus £2,269.7.1d for gear and £250 for radar.
8.1954: London registry closed.
19.8.1955: Registered at Hull (H83).
13.8.1955 – 24.11.1955: Made three trips to Icelandic grounds (Sk. G. Barker); total 65 days, 2,417 kits grossed £9,225.12.0d.
1956: Sold to BISCO (£6,000) and allocated to J.J. King Ltd, Gateshead for breaking up (value of gear landed prior to sale £984.14.5d).
26.3.1956: Delivered Tyne under tow (Towage cost £323.13.7d).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Clevela FD94

S.T. Clevela FD94
Picture from the Internet

HMT Clevela

HMT Clevela
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T.  Red Plume LO419

S.T. Red Plume LO419
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermark and added an image.

S.T. Doctor Lee FD411

Technical

Official Number: 136186
Yard Number: 586
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 307
Net Tonnage: 124
Length: 136.7 ft
Breadth: 23.2 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: 93hp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons, Ltd Selby

History

29.1.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.586) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as DOCTOR LEE .
26.3.1914: Registered at Hull (H50).
11.4.1914: Completed (John McCann & Edward Cartwright, managers).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1582).
1916: Based Malta with Unit 93.
3.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
10.6.1922: Mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London.
21.6.1922: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Marr, manager).
12.7.1922: Hull registry closed.
13.7.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD411).
Pre 8.1938: Laid up at Fleetwood.
5.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No. Z.133) (Hire rate £81.17.4d/month). Based Leith.
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
1.1.1944: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.1944: Based at Portsmouth (Fraser & White Ltd, Portsmouth, agents).
2.1946: Laid up at Portsmouth “To return to fishing”.
3.1947: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Marine Metals Ltd, Littlehampton for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Doctor Lee FD411

S.T. Doctor Lee FD411

Changelog
23/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
13/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.