Tag Archives: Wartime Visitor

S.T. Neptunus IJM87 (Wartime visitor)

Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Technical

Official Number: 116120
Yard Number: 282
Completed: 1903
Gross Tonnage: 180 (As built: 180)
Net Tonnage: 70 (As built: 63)
Length: 109.1 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 10.6 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow

History

2.12.1902: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.282) for The Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as ELITE.
1.1903: Completed (W. R. Nowell, manager).
7.1.1903: Registered at Hull (H714) (O.N.116120).
9.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.150). Based Liverpool.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner.
2.1919: Sold to Charles Dobson, Grimsby (managing owner).
7.2.1919: Hull registry closed.
10.2.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY100).
6.1920: Sold to Dobson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Charles Dobson, manager).
9.1928: Sold to N.V. Scheepsexploitatie Mij. “De Stroomlijn”, IJmuiden (J. van der Made & J. Koning managers).
13.9.1928: Grimsby Registry closed.
9.1928: Registered at IJmuiden as SPAARNESTROOM (IJM87).
1931: J. Brachthuizen appointed manager. Laid up?
7.7.1931: Sold to N.V. Vissch. Mij. “Sylt”, IJmuiden (L. Blok & A. van der Sluis, managers).
1932: Registered at IJmuiden as NEPTUNUS (IJM87).
1940: Escaped to England.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
1945: Sold to Royal Netherlands Government, The Hague.
5.1951: Sold to shipbreakers and broken up. IJmuiden registry closed.

Changelog

23/04/2013: Page published. 3 updates since then.

S.T. Oostzee IJM147 (Wartime visitor)

Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Technical

Official Number: 115572
Yard Number: 271
Completed: 1902
Gross Tonnage: 187 (as built 195)
Net tonnage: 54 (as built: 58)
Length: 110.7 ft
Breadth: 21.7 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
Engine: 390ihp T.3-cyl by McKie & Baxter Ltd, Glasgow

History

19.6.1902: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.271) for The Aberdeen Steam Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as STRATHNAVER.
8.1902: Completed (John Brown, manager).
9.9.1902: Registered at Aberdeen (A549) (O.N.115572).
8.1912: Sold toZeevisscherij Mij. “Viribus Unitis”, IJmuiden.
27.8.1912: Aberdeen registry closed. Registered at IJmuiden as HENRIËTTE ELISE (IJM147).
1923: Sold to Stoomvisscherij Mij. “Oceaan”, IJmuiden (L. Allard, manager). Registered at IJmuiden as KIJKDUIN (IJM147).
1928: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Maats. “Oostzee”, Ijmuiden (G. Prins & Jac. Frater Smid, managers). Registered at IJmuiden as OOSTZEE (IJM147).
1940: Escaped to England.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
5.11.1950: Sold to shipbreakers. IJmuiden registry closed.
1951: Breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Oostzee IJM147

S.T. Oostzee IJM147
Picture courtesy of The Jan Harteveld Collection

S.T. Oostzee IJM147

S.T. Oostzee IJM147
Picture courtesy of The Jan Harteveld Collection

Changelog

21/04/2013: Page published. 4 updates since then.
17/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Beatrice IJM118 (Wartime visitor)

Additional material courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Technical

Official Number: 114172
Yard Number: 343
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 179 (as built 185g)
Net Tonnage: 54 (as built 56n)
Length: 108.1 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.4 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1900: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.343) for The Aberdeen Steam Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as STRATHTAY.
1.1901: Completed (James Brown, manager).
25.1.1901: Registered at Aberdeen (A333) (O.N.114172).
6.1912: Sold to Visscherij. Mij. “Vigor I, I en II”, Ijmuiden (W. J. Kermer, managers).
2.7.1912: Aberdeen registry closed.
7.1912: Registered at IJmuiden as BEATRICE (IJM118).
1916: Sold to Visscherij. Mij. “Oceaan”, IJmuiden (L. Allard, manager).
1932: Sold to Visscherij-onderneming De Vem, IJmuiden (J. F. Clerq, manager).
1933: F. Thiel appointed manager.
1939: Sold to N.V. Visscherij-onderneming v/h J. C. Pronk, IJmuiden (part of De Vem).
16.2.1942: Sailed IJmuiden on a North Sea trip.
18.2.1942: Three agents of the Dutch resistance, Ab Homburg, Jo Buiser and Jan de Haas, all with death penalties imposed by German authorities, revealed themselves. Armed with revolvers locked up the skipper and the Dutch guard who was armed. The skipper did not want to go to England but finally agreed.
1942-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
1950: Sold to shipbreakers and broken up. Ostend registry closed.

Note: About the 3 Dutch resistance men after their escape to England.
Ab Homburg joined 322 Dutch Squadron RAF and died near Borne on 1.4.1945 when he was shot down with his Spitfire.
Jo Buiser & Jan de Haas were trained by the SOE (Special Operations Executive) as special agents.
22.6.1942 Jo Buiser was dropped by parachute near Holten ( Holland) and became a victim of the “England spiel” (Major spy disaster of WW2, when 59 SOE agents were captured – 54 eventually being killed – in German occupied occupied Holland. Between March 1942 and June 1943, German counter intelligence had control over SOE’s Dutch operations, sending messages making London believe that their agents were active. The German’s code name for the operation was “England spiel” (The English game).
18-19.4.1942 Jan de Haas was landed on the Dutch coast by a vessel and was arrested after 10 days, again a victim of the “England spiel”.

Both men were sent to Mauthausen concentration camp and there they ,together 21 other agents, were killed on 6.9.1944.

Changelog

29/03/2013: Page published. 6 updates since then.

S.T. Christine IJM2 (Wartime visitor)

Additional information courtesy of Milford Trawlers, Keith Morgan and Jan Harteveld

Technical

Official Number: 123730
Yard Number: 798
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 213 (As built 215g)
Net Tonnage: 68 (As built 87n)
Length: 117.3 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: T.3-cyl by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

1906: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.798) for George H. D. Birt, Milford Haven as INDIA.
10.1906: Completed.
17.10.1906: Registered at London (LO248) (O.N.123730). George H. D. Birt designated managing owner.
22.10.1906: Arrived Milford (Sk. Nightingale). Landed £159 gross.
26.1.1910: Returned to Milford (Sk. William Jones), having been knocked on her beam ends and swept clean by very heavy seas when fishing 250 miles to the west of St. Ann’s Head. Mate, J. Scoble, had been washed overboard but recovered. Put into Berehaven, Co. Cork to attend to injured and pump out.
9.6.1911: Last landing at Milford.
7.1911: Sold to N.V. Algemeene Viss. Maats., IJmuiden in an en bloc deal with PERSIA (LO250). J. F. Clerq & E. H. Heijmans, managers.
7.1911; London registry closed.
7.1911: Registered at IJmuiden as CHRISTINE (IJM2).
1920: Transferred to Vereenigde Exploitatie Mij. (VEM)*, Ijmuiden. A. J. Veltkamp & S. Koster, managers.
1931: J. F. Clerq & S. Koster designated managers.
1932: J. F. Clerq appointed manager.
1933: Company re-styled N.V. Visscherij-onderneming “De VEM”, IJmuiden (F. Thiel, manager).
9.5.1940: Escaped from Holland to England.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
19.7.1943: Typical landing, Home Waters. 655 kits – hake-480, haddock-30, flats-15, ling/coley-110, roker-20.
1945: Returned to Holland and resumed fishing from IJmuiden.
1950: Sold to shipbreakers. IJmuiden registry closed.
6.1951: Breaking up completed.

Note * – Vereenigde Exploitatie Mij ( VEM) was founded from 3 companies:
Algemeene Visscherij Mij (20 vessels)
Exploitatie and Administratie Maatschappij ”Shamrock I”.( 12 vessels)
Vereenigde Steenkolenhandel, Afdeling Reederij. ( 21 vessels) ( Afdeling Reederij = Section Shipping Company)
Also the VEM had bought from other companies: 3 motor fishing vessels, 18 sailing fishing vessels, so there was 64 vessels but many were old.

Changelog

17/03/2013: Page published. 5 updates since then.
23/11/2018: Updated information.

S,T. Amstelstroom IJM91 (Wartime visitor)

Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Technical

Official Number: 118765
Yard Number: 292
Completed: 1903
Gross Tonnage: 174 (As built 183)
Net Tonnage: 68 (As built 65)
Length: 109.1 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 10.6 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow

History

13.8.1903: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.292) for The Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as ESSEX.
8.1903: Completed (William R. Nowell, manager).
8.9.1903: Registered at Hull (H762) (O.N.118765).
3.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3329).
4.1917: Renamed ESSEX III. Based Holyhead.
1919: Sold to Charles Dobson, Grimsby (managing owner).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner and reverted to ESSEX (H762).
17.3.10919: Hull registry closed.
20.3.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY130).
5.1920: Sold to Dobson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Charles Dobson, manager).
1.1929: Sold to Exploitatie Mij. “De Stroomlijn”, IJmuiden (J. E. Koning & J. Van der Made, managers).
8.1.1929: Grimsby registry closed.
1.1929: Registered at IJmuiden as AMSTELSTROOM (IJM91).
1931: J. Brachthuizen appointed manager.
1932: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Mij. “Cornelia”, IJmuiden (H. J. van der Laan & J. H. Kerkhoven, managers).
1933: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Mij. “Twee Gezusters”, IJmuiden (P. Parlevliet, manager).
1935: L. Parlevliet Dzn & L. Parlevliet Nzn appointed managers.
1940: Escaped to England.
1940-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
1945: Sold to L. Parlevliet Dz, IJmuiden (managing owner).
1945: IJmuiden registry closed. Registered at Katwijk as DIRK (KW157).
28.11.1946: Stranded on beach near Petten 20 miles north of IJmuiden.
3.1947: Refloated.
12.1947: Sold to Amels & van der Berg, Harlingen. Katwijk registry closed. Registered at Harlingen as FRIESLAND (HA5).
7.1948: Sold to Zeevisscherij Mij. “Limburgia”, IJmuiden. Harlingen registry closed. Registered at IJmuiden as HOLLANDIA (IJM78).
10.9.1948: Stranded near Westkapelle, Walcheren, subsequently refloated and returned to service.
1951: Sold to shipbreakers and broken up. IJmuiden registry closed.

Changelog

17/03/2013: Page published. 6 updates since then.