Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld
Official Number: 118765
Yard Number: 292
Gross Tonnage: 174 (As built 183)
Net Tonnage: 68 (As built 65)
Length: 109.1 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 10.6 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
13.8.1903: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.292) for The Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as ESSEX.
8.1903: Completed (William R. Nowell, manager).
8.9.1903: Registered at Hull (H762) (O.N.118765).
3.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3329).
4.1917: Renamed ESSEX III. Based Holyhead.
1919: Sold to Charles Dobson, Grimsby (managing owner).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner and reverted to ESSEX (H762).
17.3.10919: Hull registry closed.
20.3.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY130).
23.2.1920: Dobson Steam Fishing Co Ltd formed to purchase the fleet of Charles Dobson.
5.1920: Sold to Dobson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Charles Dobson, manager).
1.1929: Sold to Exploitatie Mij. “De Stroomlijn”, IJmuiden (J. E. Koning & J. Van der Made, managers).
8.1.1929: Grimsby registry closed.
1.1929: Registered at IJmuiden as AMSTELSTROOM (IJM91).
1931: J. Brachthuizen appointed manager.
1932: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Mij. “Cornelia”, IJmuiden (H. J. van der Laan & J. H. Kerkhoven, managers).
1933: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Mij. “Twee Gezusters”, IJmuiden (P. Parlevliet, manager).
1935: L. Parlevliet Dzn & L. Parlevliet Nzn appointed managers.
1940: Escaped to England.
1940-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
1945: Sold to L. Parlevliet Dz, IJmuiden (managing owner).
1945: IJmuiden registry closed. Registered at Katwijk as DIRK (KW157).
28.11.1946: Stranded on beach near Petten 20 miles north of IJmuiden.
12.1947: Sold to Amels & van der Berg, Harlingen. Katwijk registry closed. Registered at Harlingen as FRIESLAND (HA5).
7.1948: Sold to Zeevisscherij Mij. “Limburgia”, IJmuiden. Harlingen registry closed. Registered at IJmuiden as HOLLANDIA (IJM78).
10.9.1948: Stranded near Westkapelle, Walcheren; subsequently refloated and returned to service.
1951: Sold to shipbreakers and broken up. IJmuiden registry closed.
17/03/2013: Page published. 6 updates since then.
28/06/2019: Information updated.