Tag Archives: Mason

S.T. City of York FD16

Technical

Official Number: 114306
Yard Number: 71
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 202
Net Tonnage: 64
Length: 116.8 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.4 ft
Engine: 52HP T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd

History

25.10.1904: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.71) for Horace Bourne, Adlington, Chorley (26/64); Thomas F. Kelsall, Fleetwood (16/64); William Johnson, Manchester (8/64); John Johnson Jnr, Manchester (8/64); Gertrude Marion Barton, Prestwich Park (4/64) and Louise Barton, Prestwich Park (2/64), as CITY OF YORK.
11.1904: Completed.
22.11.1904: Registered at Fleetwood (FD16), Thomas F. Kelsall appointed manager.
20.2.1906: Four shares (G. M. Barton) mortgaged to Alfred Ernest Woodhouse, Manchester for £130 @71/2% interest (A).
24.2.1906: Two shares (L. Barton) mortgaged to Alfred Ernest Woodhouse, Manchester for £70 @ 71/2% interest (B).
13.3.1906: Mortgages (A) & (B) discharged.
19.3.1906: Four shares (G. M. Barton) and two shares (L. Barton) mortgaged to Alfred Henry Hirst, Golcar for £229 and £114 resp. @71/2% interest.
11.11.1906: Horace Bourne now residing Poulton-le-Fylde.
4.6.1907: Four shares (G. M. Barton) and two shares (L. Barton) mortgaged to Alfred Henry Hirst, Golcar for £220 and £50 resp. @ 8% interest.
22.12.1910: Change of Fleetwood address for Thomas F. Kelsall.
Pre 1912: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 78.64net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.NI). Based Scapa.
5.1918: New boiler fitted.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1922: Sold to Robson Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Robson Preston, manager).
31.1.1928: Sk. R. H. Pook was fined £20 at Bangor for trawling within the three mile limit off the Welsh coast and failing to display the fishing signal.
1928: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas Cardwell, manager).
20.10.1928: In heavy seas and darkness, rescued nine crew members of steamer SAINT BRANDAN (386grt/1924), stranded on Cairns of Coll while on loaded passage Scarbost, Skye to Glasgow. Landed survivors at Tobermory.
5.1935: Sold to J. V. Hepburn, Aberdeen.
15.5.1935: Fleetwood registry closed.
13.6.1935: Registered at Aberdeen (A324).
15 10.1939: Returning to Stornoway to land (Sk. George Marsh) ran on rocks off Tolsta Head, Isle of Lewis in position 58°12N/06°10W; crew got away in punt and in morning landed near village of Tolsta.
10.4.1940: Aberdeen registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. City of York FD16

S.T. City of York FD16
Picture courtesy of The John Stevenson Collection

Changelog
15/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
20/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Sethon FD166

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 138974
Yard Number: 345
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 295
Net Tonnage: 114
Length: 130.2 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: 540ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed: 9.5 knots

History

22.4.1916: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.345) for The Standard Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as SETHON.
28.6.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY928).
28.6.1916: Walter William Butt appointed manager.
16.10.1916: Completed. Walter W. Butt appointed manager.
10.1916: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.3310). Northern Patrol
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
26.8.1926: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
8.4.1938: Bill Butt appointed manager.
28.6.1938: Albert Wright Butt appointed manager.
5.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Hire rate £83.11.8d/month).
5.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.883).
1.12.1941: Mortgage (A) discharged.
14.1.1942: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull (temporary address, 231 Dock St, Fleetwood).
22.1.1942: Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys appointed manager).
9.1945: Restored and surveyed at Glasgow.
2.10.1945: Returned to owner.
3.12.1945: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
10.12.1945: Robert Houseman Bagshaw appointed manager.
18.1.1946: Grimsby registry closed.
1.1946: Registered at Fleetwood (FD166).
1.3.1957: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. J.E. Mitchinson); thirteen crew.
2.3.1957: In the early morning in transit through the Sound of Islay with hazy conditions and a strong tide running, stranded on Black Rock. Crew taken off by Port Askaig lifeboat and landed at Port Askaig. Attended by FLANDERS (FD165)(Sk. T.W. Kirby MBE), connected but tow parted.
3.3.1957: Further attempt to refloat failed.
5.3.1957: Commenced lightening, removing ice and coal.
16.3.1957: Refloated under own power.
18.3.1957: Returned to Fleetwood.
19.3.1957: Slipped. Bottom plating set up and leaking. Repairs could not be effected due to strike at Robertson’s.
4.1957: Repaired and returned to service.
5.1958: Grounded on wreck of HMS Drake in Church Bay, Rathlin Island. Came off with Portrush lifeboat standing by.
1959: Sold to Scrappingco S.r.l, Antwerp for breaking up.
16.7.1959: Sailed Fleetwood for Boom.
7.1959: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Sethon FD166

S.T. Sethon FD166
Picture © Peter Brady

S.T. Sethon FD166

S.T. Sethon FD166
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

Big Cod

Big Cod
Picture courtesy of David Parkinson

Joe Parkinson and John Shaw

Joe Parkinson and John Shaw
Picture courtesy of David Parkinson

Fishing

Fishing
Picture courtesy of David Parkinson

A good bag

A good bag
Picture courtesy of David Parkinson

Into the pounds

Into the pounds
Picture courtesy of David Parkinson

Changelog
14/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Masona (1) FD113

Technical

Official Number: 136228
Yard Number: 623
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 294
Net Tonnage: 126
Length: 133.5 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: 78hp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

19.11.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.623) for Thomas Hamling & Co Ltd, Hull as St. DENIS.
3.2.1915: Registered at Hull (H228).
10.2.1914: Completed (Harold Hall, Hessle, manager).
2.1917: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.3326).
2.12.1918: Sold to The Yarborough Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (John E. Rushworth, manager).
5.12.1918: Hull registry closed.
7.12.1918: Registered at Grimsby (GY1258).
2.1919: Sold to Storr’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (John W. Storr, manager).
5.3.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
7.3.1919: Registered at Hull (H7).
1919: Returned.
12.3.1926: Registered at Hull as SEGINUS (H7).
1928: Sold to Rémy & P. Huret, Boulogne.
23.6.1928: Sold to Société Anonyme Pêcheries de Noordzee, Ostend.
26.6.1928: Hull registry closed.
6.1928: Registered at Ostend as NEPTUNE. (O126).
1929: Sold to Société Anonyme Pêcheries Ostendaises, Ostend. Registered at Ostend as TANGANYIKA. (O268).
1930: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas Cardwell, manager).
28.5.1930: Registered at Fleetwood as MASONA (FD113).
10.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z.138) (Hire rate £81.13.6d/month).
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T. Later based at Portsmouth (Fraser & White Ltd, Portsmouth, agents).
1946: Laid up at Portsmouth. Estimated cost of re-conditioning £8,750.
16.4.1947: Advertised for sale by tender and open for inspection. Not to be resold within two years.
24.4.1947: Tenders closed.
9.6.1947: Sold to BISCO for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Masona FD113

S.T. Masona FD113
Picture courtesy of John Clarkson

S.T. Masona FD113

S.T. Masona FD113
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
27/12/2008: Page published. 7 updates since then.
15/07/2015: Information updated.
19/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Emily Morley FD415

Technical

Official Number: 109036
Yard Number: 186
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 172
Net Tonnage: 67
Length: 110 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 10.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Muir & Houston, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thompson Ltd, Govan

History

A design submitted by Mackie & Thomson, Govan was approved by the Kingston board and four vessels were ordered. Contracts were signed with the shipyard to build the vessels, and supply engines and boilers. The names chosen were AMBER, AMETHYST, BERYL and CAMEO. Total cost for AMETHYST with amendments, fees, classification, fishing gear, stores and coal £5,236.6s.0d.

4.5.1898: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.186) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as AMETHYST.
7.6.1898: Registered at Hull (H401).
6.1898: Completed trials and accepted (Lawrence Spring, manager).
1902: New boiler fitted (made 1899).
1.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.1214).
2.1915: Renamed AMETHYST II.
17.4.1915: Registered at Hull as AMETHYST II (H401).
1.11.1915: Returned to owner after reconditioning by The Admiralty.
22.11.1915: Reverted to AMETHYST (H401).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
10.10.1917: Arthur Taylor appointed manager.
14.2.1918: Skipper reported losing fishing convoy for 48 hours; admonished by Convoy Committee but not suspended.
15.10.1918: Released.
20.12.1918: Armament removed.
19.6.1919: Engineers on Hull North Sea vessels gave 24 hours notice of strike for better conditions; fleet laid up.
7.8.1919: With strike breaking crew landed and grossed £1,035 but enginemen found to be incapable and laid up again.
18.8.1919: Engineers and trimmers accepted owners offer and signified willingness to return to sea.
28.8.1919: Sailed after strike.
13.3.1920: Skipper reported mine in trawl cleared by cutting belly and bailings no damage to ship.
14.7.1921: Walter Scott appointed manager.
29.8.1922: Sold to Walter Henry Utley Morley, Fleetwood for £8.500 plus £10 for spare propeller.
25.9.1922: Hull registry closed.
10.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as EMILY MORLEY (FD415). Walter H. U. Morley managing owner.
26.2.1929: Sold to Mason Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas Cardwell, manager).
1934: Sold for breaking up.
16.1.1935: Fleetwood registry closed, breaking up completed.

Changelog
19/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.