Tag Archives: Fred Kelsall

S.T. City of Dundee FD4

Technical

Official Number: 136887
Yard Number: 576
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 269
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.3 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

27.4.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.576) for Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager) as CITY OF DUNDEE.
22.5.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD4).
5.1914: Completed.
1.6.1914: Landed at Fleetwood from maiden trip.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Ad.No.678). Based Dover.
15.9.1915: At 7.10 pm. foundered after collision with steamer PATROCLUS (5509grt/?) at the Folkestone Gate. Officer in Command Lieut. Albert J. Coles RNR and seven men saved, six by PATROCLUS and two by steamer MISTLEY (135grt/?) . Remainder of crew, Warrant Officer Telegraphist, RNR and six men, lost*.
28.9.1915: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Lost* – Ty/Warrant Telegraphist Ernest A. Sutton; Charles E. Freeman, 2nd Hand; Arthur Howe, 2nd Engineman; Thomas Baker & Thomas May, deckhands; William E. Hill, trimmer.)

(Note: “Lieut. A. J. Coles RNR and Lieut. A. Bean RNR “SEAWARD HO” rendered good Service on Folkestone Gate, when traffic route had to be diverted at a moment’s notice”.)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. City of Dundee FD4

S.T. City of Dundee FD4
Picture courtesy of The Bill Blow Collection

Changelog
18/05/2012: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
09/08/2014: Picture added.
03/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
05/12/2019: Updated information.

S.T. City of Selby FD8

Technical

Official Number: 136889
Yard Number: 566
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 285
Net Tonnage: 110
Length: 128.8 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

History

12.5.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.566) for Thomas F. Kelsall, Poulton-le-Fylde as CITY OF SELBY.
15.6.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD8).
6.1914: Completed.
10.6.1914: Sailed Middlesbrough for Fleetwood. ETA 15.6.1914.
1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Thomas F. Kelsall, Poulton-le-Fylde designated manager.
23.11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.193).
1917: Based Granton. Employed on escort duties.
26.4.1918: Transferred to Kirkwall.
13.2.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1920: Sold to Selby Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood ( Henry Blackburn, manager).
193?: Managers became Kelsall & Blackburn Ltd, Fleetwood.
1935: Sold to Thomas Cardwell & Robert H. Bagshaw, Fleetwood (T. Cardwell, manager).
12.9.1935: Registered at Fleetwood as WESTLYN (FD8).
1939: Sold to Robert H. Bagshaw, Fleetwood.
Post 21.11.1939: Recovered two bodies* from WILLIAM HUMPHRIES (LO533) shelled and sunk by U.boat (U-33), 75 miles NW of Rathlin Island
17.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z154) (Hire rate £75.14.8d/month). Cost of conversion £30,262.
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by the M.O.W.T.
1944: Based at Plymouth (W. Tamlyn Ltd, Plymouth, agents).
1946: Laid up at Plymouth. Estimated cost of re-conditioning £7,500.
16.4.1947: Advertised for sale by tender. Not to be resold within two years.
24.4.1947: Tenders closed.
2.5.1947: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager).
1948: Sold to A. J. Tilbrook Ltd, Milford Haven.
2.1948: At P. K. Harris & Sons Ltd, Appledore completed rebuild and fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Appledore.
2.1948: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.2.1948: Registered at Milford as SEA HUNTER (M237).
31.12.1951: After fishing on the South of Ireland grounds (Sk. James MacLelland), returned to Milford on Boxing Day with damaged caused by severe weather.
1.1952: A. J. Tilbrook Ltd suspended operations; laid up.
1952: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager).
7.1959: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
20.7.1959: Delivered Bruges.
23.7.1959: Milford registry closed.

(* James Gorden and William Wright)

Click to enlarge images

HMT Westlyn

HMT Westlyn
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

HMT Westlyn

HMT Westlyn
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Westlyn FD8

S.T. Westlyn FD8
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
15/07/2015: Information updated.
12/03/2017: FMHT watermarked images replaced.
30/12/2017: Added an image.
14/12/2019: Information updated.

S.T. City of London FD201

Technical

Official Number: 11429
Yard number: 289
Completed: 1901
Gross Tonnage: 195
Net Tonnage: 60
Length: 115 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
Engine: 55NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed 10 knots

History

17.6.1901: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.289) for Richard Kelsall (16/64), Liverpool; John Johnson (12/64), Manchester; Gertrude Marion Kelsall (8/64), Prestwich; Mabel Beeching Kelsall (8/64), Prestwich; William Preston (4/64), Fleetwood; Isaac Miller (4/64), Knott End; Horace Bourne (4/64), Adlington, Chorley; Thomas Frederick Kelsall (4/64), Fleetwood and John Johnson Jnr (4/64), Manchester as CITY OF LONDON.
8.7.1901: Registered at Fleetwood (FD201), Thomas F. Kelsall designated managing owner.
7.1901: Completed.
15.7.1903: J. Johnson (6/64) shares sold to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London.
15.7.1903: J. Johnson (6/64) shares sold to John Johnson Jnr (10/64).
24.9.1904: G. M. Kelsall (8/64) shares mortgaged to Alfred Ernest Woodhouse (8/64), Manchester for £200 @ 71/2% interest.
18.9.1912: Reported that while alongside at Dunmore East, Co. Waterford for repairs, Thomas Minns (25), deckhand, of Cop Lane, Fleetwood was drowned.
Pre1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Thomas F. Kelsall designated manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 75.85 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
27.10.1914: Picked up 30 crew members of MANCHESTER COMMERCE (5363grt/1899) which foundered after striking a mine 20 miles NE of Tory Island; master and thirteen men lost. Put in to Carnlough Bay, Co Antrim to report incident.
28.10.1914: Landed survivors at Fleetwood.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.NI). Based Scapa.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
09.1919: In collision in dock channel with SOAR (FD155) and both vessel took the ground. Refloated on next tide.
21.11.1919: Sold to John Robson, Graigallion, Kilmalcolm, Renfrewshire (George H. Smith & Hew C. Kennedy, Stranraer, managers).
14.4.1920: Fleetwood registry closed.
4.1920: Registered at Stranraer (SR1).
1920: Change of address, John Robson, Stranraer (Hew C. Kennedy, manager).
6.1923: Sold to Andrew Lewis & Andrew Walker, Aberdeen (Andrew Lewis managing owner).
6.1925: Stranraer registry closed.
16.6.1925: Registered at Aberdeen (A113).
11.3.1926: Sold to Regent Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen (Thomas Walker, manager).
20.3.1926: Registered at Aberdeen as DANURIE (A113) (BoT Minute M/RG1093/26 dated 15.3.1926).
1937: Sold for breaking up.
20.4.1937: Aberdeen registry closed “Broken up”.

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
12/12/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Ernesta FD193

Technical

Official Number 109669
Yard Number 626
Launched 1900
Gross Tonnage 189
Net Tonnage 73
Length 115.5 ft
Breadth 21.1 ft
Depth 11.6 ft
Engine 52 hp T.3-cyl by N. E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built at Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields, 1900
Owner J. Johnson & Others, Fleetwood

History

December 02 1899 Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.626) for J. Johnson & Others, Fleetwood (T. F. Kelsall, manager) as CITY OF MANCHESTER.
June 04 1900 Registered at Fleetwood (FD193).
January 1900 Completed.
Pre 1914 Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (T. F. Kelsall, manager).
June 1915 Requisitioned for war service and converted boom defence duties (Ad.No.NI).
August 1918 Returned.
November 12 1918 Re-registered at Fleetwood (FD193).
1919 Sold to Ernest Taylor & N. Ashworth Ltd, Fleetwood (Taylor & Tomlinson Ltd, managers).
1922 Sold to Pharos Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (John W. A. Potts, manager).
October 26 1922 Renamed ERNESTA (FD193).
1930 J. W. Dollin appointed manager.
February 18 1931 In the Firth of Clyde, seven miles NE of Sanda Island, in collision with steam puffer BRITON (68 grt/1905) inwards for Glasgow from Carnlough which foundered. Four crew picked up.
1933 Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for demolition at Preston.
September 29 1933 Fleetwood registry closed, demolition completed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Ernesta FD193

S.T. Ernesta FD193

Changelog
25/01/2009: Page published.
06/08/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. City of Manchester FD193

Technical

Official Number: 109669
Yard Number: 626
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 189
Net Tonnage: 73
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: 52hp T.3-cyl and boiler by N. E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland

History

2.12.1899: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.626) for Richard Kelsall, Liverpool (32/64); John Johnson, Cheetham Hill, Manchester (12/64); Thomas Kelsall, Prestwich Park (12/64) and Thomas Frederick Kelsall, Fleetwood (8/64) as CITY OF MANCHESTER.
4.1.1900: Registered at Fleetwood (FD193).
1.1900: Completed.
12.1.1900: Thomas F. Kelsall appointed manager.
7.1.1903: Twelve shares (T. Kelsall) sold to Sarah Kelsall, Southport.
22.1.1900: Arrived Fleetwood.
15.7.1903: Twelve shares (J. Johnson), six sold to William Johnson, Manchester and six sold to John Johnson Jnr, Manchester.
30.9.1904: Off Fleetwood in collision with 1st class smack SECRET (FD161) which was badly damaged.
Pre 1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 84.76 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.NI). Based Cromarty.
8.1918: Returned to owner.
12.11.1918: Sold to Noah Ashworth & Ernest Tomlinson, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
26.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as ERNESTA (FD193).
1925: Sold to Pharos Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (John W. A. Potts, manager).
1930: J. W. Dollin appointed manager.
27.8.1930: Arrived Stornoway and skipper reported having grounded on Rudh Ulserish; damage confined to forepeak.
11.10.1930: Sustained damage having been in collision in Ramsey Bay with Fleetwood steam trawler HIBERNIA (FD354).
18.2.1931: In the Firth of Clyde, seven miles NE of Sanda Island, in collision with steam puffer BRITON (68grt/1905) inwards for Glasgow from Carnlough which foundered. Four crew picked up.
1933: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
29.9.1933: Fleetwood registry closed, breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. City of Manchester FD193

S.T. City of Manchester FD193
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
25/12/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
20/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
13/12/2019: Information updated.