S.T. City of Selby FD8

Technical

Official Number: 136889
Yard Number: 566
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 285
Net Tonnage: 110
Length: 128.8 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

History

12.5.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.566) for Thomas F. Kelsall, Poulton-le-Fylde as CITY OF SELBY.
15.6.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD8).
6.1914: Completed.
10.6.1914: Sailed Middlesbrough for Fleetwood. ETA 15.6.1914.
1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Thomas F. Kelsall, Poulton-le-Fylde designated manager.
23.11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.193).
1917: Based Granton. Employed on escort duties.
26.4.1918: Transferred to Kirkwall.
13.2.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1920: Sold to Selby Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood ( Henry Blackburn, manager).
193?: Managers became Kelsall & Blackburn Ltd, Fleetwood.
1935: Sold to Thomas Cardwell & Robert H. Bagshaw, Fleetwood (T. Cardwell, manager).
12.9.1935: Registered at Fleetwood as WESTLYN (FD8).
1939: Sold to Robert H. Bagshaw, Fleetwood.
Post 21.11.1939: Recovered two bodies* from WILLIAM HUMPHRIES (LO533) shelled and sunk by U.boat (U-33), 75 miles NW of Rathlin Island
17.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z154) (Hire rate £75.14.8d/month). Cost of conversion £30,262.
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by the M.O.W.T.
1944: Based at Plymouth (W. Tamlyn Ltd, Plymouth, agents).
1946: Laid up at Plymouth. Estimated cost of re-conditioning £7,500.
16.4.1947: Advertised for sale by tender. Not to be resold within two years.
24.4.1947: Tenders closed.
2.5.1947: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager).
1948: Sold to A. J. Tilbrook Ltd, Milford Haven.
2.1948: At P. K. Harris & Sons Ltd, Appledore completed rebuild and fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Appledore.
2.1948: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.2.1948: Registered at Milford as SEA HUNTER (M237).
31.12.1951: After fishing on the South of Ireland grounds (Sk. James MacLelland), returned to Milford on Boxing Day with damaged caused by severe weather.
1.1952: A. J. Tilbrook Ltd suspended operations; laid up.
1952: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager).
7.1959: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
20.7.1959: Delivered Bruges.
23.7.1959: Milford registry closed.

(* James Gorden and William Wright)

Click to enlarge images

HMT Westlyn

HMT Westlyn
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

HMT Westlyn

HMT Westlyn
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Westlyn FD8

S.T. Westlyn FD8
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
15/07/2015: Information updated.
12/03/2017: FMHT watermarked images replaced.
30/12/2017: Added an image.
14/12/2019: Information updated.