Tag Archives: Thomas F Kelsall

S.T. City of Selby FD8

Technical

Official Number: 136889
Yard Number: 566
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 285
Net Tonnage: 110
Length: 128.8 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

History

12.5.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.566) for Thomas F. Kelsall, Poulton-le-Fylde as CITY OF SELBY.
15.6.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD8).
6.1914: Completed.
10.6.1914: Sailed Middlesbrough for Fleetwood. ETA 15.6.1914.
1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Thomas F. Kelsall, Poulton-le-Fylde designated manager.
23.11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.193).
1917: Based Granton. Employed on escort duties.
26.4.1918: Transferred to Kirkwall.
13.2.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1920: Sold to Selby Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood ( Henry Blackburn, manager).
193?: Managers became Kelsall & Blackburn Ltd, Fleetwood.
1935: Sold to Thomas Cardwell & Robert H. Bagshaw, Fleetwood (T. Cardwell, manager).
12.9.1935: Registered at Fleetwood as WESTLYN (FD8).
1939: Sold to Robert H. Bagshaw, Fleetwood.
Post 21.11.1939: Recovered two bodies* from WILLIAM HUMPHRIES (LO533) shelled and sunk by U.boat (U-33), 75 miles NW of Rathlin Island
17.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z154) (Hire rate £75.14.8d/month). Cost of conversion £30,262.
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by the M.O.W.T.
1944: Based at Plymouth (W. Tamlyn Ltd, Plymouth, agents).
1946: Laid up at Plymouth. Estimated cost of re-conditioning £7,500.
16.4.1947: Advertised for sale by tender. Not to be resold within two years.
24.4.1947: Tenders closed.
2.5.1947: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager).
1948: Sold to A. J. Tilbrook Ltd, Milford Haven.
2.1948: At P. K. Harris & Sons Ltd, Appledore completed rebuild and fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Appledore.
2.1948: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.2.1948: Registered at Milford as SEA HUNTER (M237).
31.12.1951: After fishing on the South of Ireland grounds (Sk. James MacLelland), returned to Milford on Boxing Day with damaged caused by severe weather.
1.1952: A. J. Tilbrook Ltd suspended operations; laid up.
1952: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager).
7.1959: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
20.7.1959: Delivered Bruges.
23.7.1959: Milford registry closed.

(* James Gorden and William Wright)

Click to enlarge images

HMT Westlyn

HMT Westlyn
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

HMT Westlyn

HMT Westlyn
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Westlyn FD8

S.T. Westlyn FD8
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
15/07/2015: Information updated.
12/03/2017: FMHT watermarked images replaced.
30/12/2017: Added an image.
14/12/2019: Information updated.

S.T. City of London FD201

Technical

Official Number: 11429
Yard number: 289
Completed: 1901
Gross Tonnage: 195
Net Tonnage: 60
Length: 115 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
Engine: 55NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed 10 knots

History

17.6.1901: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.289) for Richard Kelsall (16/64), Liverpool; John Johnson (12/64), Manchester; Gertrude Marion Kelsall (8/64), Prestwich; Mabel Beeching Kelsall (8/64), Prestwich; William Preston (4/64), Fleetwood; Isaac Miller (4/64), Knott End; Horace Bourne (4/64), Adlington, Chorley; Thomas Frederick Kelsall (4/64), Fleetwood and John Johnson Jnr (4/64), Manchester as CITY OF LONDON.
8.7.1901: Registered at Fleetwood (FD201), Thomas F. Kelsall designated managing owner.
7.1901: Completed.
15.7.1903: J. Johnson (6/64) shares sold to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London.
15.7.1903: J. Johnson (6/64) shares sold to John Johnson Jnr (10/64).
24.9.1904: G. M. Kelsall (8/64) shares mortgaged to Alfred Ernest Woodhouse (8/64), Manchester for £200 @ 71/2% interest.
18.9.1912: Reported that while alongside at Dunmore East, Co. Waterford for repairs, Thomas Minns (25), deckhand, of Cop Lane, Fleetwood was drowned.
Pre1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Thomas F. Kelsall designated manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 75.85 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
27.10.1914: Picked up 30 crew members of MANCHESTER COMMERCE (5363grt/1899) which foundered after striking a mine 20 miles NE of Tory Island; master and thirteen men lost. Put in to Carnlough Bay, Co Antrim to report incident.
28.10.1914: Landed survivors at Fleetwood.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.NI). Based Scapa.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
09.1919: In collision in dock channel with SOAR (FD155) and both vessel took the ground. Refloated on next tide.
21.11.1919: Sold to John Robson, Graigallion, Kilmalcolm, Renfrewshire (George H. Smith & Hew C. Kennedy, Stranraer, managers).
14.4.1920: Fleetwood registry closed.
4.1920: Registered at Stranraer (SR1).
1920: Change of address, John Robson, Stranraer (Hew C. Kennedy, manager).
6.1923: Sold to Andrew Lewis & Andrew Walker, Aberdeen (Andrew Lewis managing owner).
6.1925: Stranraer registry closed.
16.6.1925: Registered at Aberdeen (A113).
11.3.1926: Sold to Regent Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen (Thomas Walker, manager).
20.3.1926: Registered at Aberdeen as DANURIE (A113) (BoT Minute M/RG1093/26 dated 15.3.1926).
1937: Sold for breaking up.
20.4.1937: Aberdeen registry closed “Broken up”.

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
12/12/2019: Information updated.

S.T. City of Liverpool FD197

Technical

Official Number: 109674
Yard Number: 630
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 179
Net Tonnage: 66
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

31.3.1900: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.630) for Thomas Frederick Kelsall, Fleetwood (12/64); Thomas Kelsall, Prestwich (24/64); Richard Kelsall, Liverpool (16/64) and John Johnson, Manchester (12/64) as CITY OF LIVERPOOL.
1.5.1900: Registered at Fleetwood (FD197).
4.5.1900: Thomas F. Kelsall appointed managing owner.
5.1900: Completed.
7.1.1903: Twenty four shares (T. Kelsall) sold to Sarah Kelsall, Southport.
15.7.1903: Twelve shares (J. Johnson) sold, six shares to William Johnson, Manchester and six shares to John Johnson Jnr, Manchester.
11.8.1910: Eight shares (R. Kelsall) sold to Annie Kelsall Dixon, Waterloo, Liverpool.
Pre 1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 69.48 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.NI). Based Cromarty.
8.1918: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
12.11.1918: Sold to Noah Ashworth & Ernest Tomlinson, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
7.1920: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield (Joseph Ward,Sheffield, manager).
30.7.1920: Fleetwood fishing vessel registry closed. “Coasting vessel”. Fitted out at Barrow for yard duties at Morecambe and Barrow shipbreaking yard, loadline survey, hatchways and tow hook fitted.
22.10.1920: Tonnage altered following survey at Barrow 185.69g 71.99n.
28.10.1920: Registered at Lancaster.
1937: Demolished at Morecambe.

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. City of Edinburgh II FD185

Technical

Official Number: 124699
Yard Number: 191
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage:300
Net Tonnage: 108
Length: 130.0 ft
Breadth: 23.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Boiler: A. Stephenson & Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne
Built: Dundee Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Dundee

History

15.12.1907: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.191) for Thomas Frederick Kelsall (64/64), Fleetwood as CITY OF EDINBURGH II.
1.1908: Completed.
30.1.1908: Registered at Fleetwood (FD185).
30.1.1908: Thomas Frederick Kelsall designated managing owner.
24.2.1908: Thomas F. Kelsall shares (6/64) sold to Capt. Lars J. Larsen Fleetwood and mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London (A).
13.2.1908: Nine Bills of Sale. Thomas F Kelsall shares (42/64) sold to Horace Bourne, Poulton-le-Fylde (14/64); John Johnson, Manchester (8/64); Walter Smith, Parkgate, Rotherham (4/64); Walter Smith, Parkgate, Rotherham (4/64); Mabel Beeching Kelsall, Southport (4/64); Sarah Jane Bowdin, Blackgang, IoW (4/64); Robert Bolton, Wigan (2/64); Richard Harold Fisher, Shevington, Nr Wigan (2/64); Henrietta Fisher, Shevington, Nr Wigan (2/64) and Charles Arthur Cawood, Fleetwood (2/64). Thomas F. Kelsall designated managing owner.
Pre 1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Thomas F. Kelsall designated manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 114.60 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
10.1.1915: Commissioned at Fleetwood.
20.3.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted for auxiliary patrol duties.
26.3.1915: Mounting fitted, gun not available. Fitted with mine-sweep.
30.3.1915: Allocated Unit No.85 – Section D based Isles of Scilly (Sk. J. Gant RNR).
2.1.1916-8.1.1916: Refit at Devonport. Relief HM Trawler CARBINEER (Ad.No.1164).
10.1916: Allocated Unit Nos. 85, 87, 147 – Sections C, D, E, F 1st Division based Isles of Scilly (Sk. H.G. Millman RNR). Fitted with 1-3pdr.
8.9.1918: Sold to Ernest Taylor & Noah Ashworth (64/64 joint owners), Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
1.10.1918: At Isles of Scilly for General Patrol and Escort work
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1921: Sold to Ramon de Carranza, Cadiz.
26.7.1921: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.1921: Registered at San Sebastian as PACO (SS-2-608).
Pre 1927: Sold to Pescaderias Coruñesas S.A., Madrid (Luis Lamigueiro, manager).
1931: Sold to Ramon de Carranza, Cadiz.
1948: Sold to Hijos de V. Larrañaga, Cadiz. Registered at Cadiz as LARRAIZ.
1948: Fitted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
4.1.1952: Stranded on Cap Blanc, Western Sahara in approximate position 21.45N 17.00W. Became a total loss.

S.T. City of Edinburgh II FD185

S.T. City of Edinburgh II FD185
Picture (As LARRAIZ) Courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
11/12/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Martaban FD147

Additional Material courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 98710
Yard Number: 57
Completed: 1890
Gross Tonnage: 148
Net Tonnage: 49
Length: 103.6 ft
Breadth: 20.0 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Engine: 50NHP T.3-cyland boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
Speed: 10 knots

History

1890: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.57) for George Beeching, Hull & Thomas Kelsall & Co, Manchester as MARTABAN.
20.11.1890: Completed (George Beeching managing owner).
20.11.1990: Registered at Hull (H115).
8.1.1897: Sold to Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Manchester (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood, managers). 1.1887: Hull registry closed.
18.1.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD147).
1899: Transferred to Hull.
4.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H82).
12.5.1899: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.9.1911: Registered office transferred to Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
3.5.1912: Fishing North Sea near Dogger Bank (Sk. G. Turner) at about 2.30pm. in collision with steam trawler AMARAPOORA (H59) (Sk.Parkinson), which foundered in almost 3 minutes; picked up crew of nine. Stern and starboard bow damaged.
29.12.1912: Sold to Robert Moon & Joseph Moon, Torry, Aberdeen (joint owners) (Robert Moon managing owner).
5.12.1912: Hull registry closed.
7.12.1912: Registered at Aberdeen (A527).
2.5.1915: Stopped by U-boat (U41) while fishing 22 miles E.1/2 N. of Aberdeen and sunk by gunfire. Crew abandoned in boat and after seventeen hours landed at Stonehaven.
6.5.1915: Aberdeen registry closed “Sunk by a German submarine”.

Changelog
27/12/2008: Page published. 4 updates since then.