Tag Archives: Ashworth & Tomlinson

S.T. City of Liverpool FD197

Technical

Official Number: 109674
Yard Number: 630
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 179
Net Tonnage: 66
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

31.3.1900: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.630) for Thomas Frederick Kelsall, Fleetwood (12/64); Thomas Kelsall, Prestwich (24/64); Richard Kelsall, Liverpool (16/64) and John Johnson, Manchester (12/64) as CITY OF LIVERPOOL.
1.5.1900: Registered at Fleetwood (FD197).
4.5.1900: Thomas F. Kelsall appointed managing owner.
5.1900: Completed.
7.1.1903: Twenty four shares (T. Kelsall) sold to Sarah Kelsall, Southport.
15.7.1903: Twelve shares (J. Johnson) sold, six shares to William Johnson, Manchester and six shares to John Johnson Jnr, Manchester.
11.8.1910: Eight shares (R. Kelsall) sold to Annie Kelsall Dixon, Waterloo, Liverpool.
Pre 1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 69.48 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.NI). Based Cromarty.
8.1918: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
12.11.1918: Sold to Noah Ashworth & Ernest Tomlinson, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
7.1920: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield (Joseph Ward,Sheffield, manager).
30.7.1920: Fleetwood fishing vessel registry closed. “Coasting vessel”. Fitted out at Barrow for yard duties at Morecambe and Barrow shipbreaking yard, loadline survey, hatchways and tow hook fitted.
22.10.1920: Tonnage altered following survey at Barrow 185.69g 71.99n.
28.10.1920: Registered at Lancaster.
1937: Demolished at Morecambe.

Changelog
16/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. City of Manchester FD193

Technical

Official Number: 109669
Yard Number: 626
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 189
Net Tonnage: 73
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 52hp T.3-cyl and boiler by N. E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

CITY OF MANCHESTER (FD193) (1900-1922)

2.12.1899: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.626) for Richard Kelsall, Liverpool (32/64); John Johnson, Cheetham Hill, Manchester (12/64); Thomas Kelsall, Prestwich Park (12/64) and Thomas Frederick Kelsall, Fleetwood (8/64) as CITY OF MANCHESTER.
4.1.1900: Registered at Fleetwood (FD193).
1.1900: Completed.
12.1.1900: Thomas F. Kelsall appointed manager.
7.1.1903: Twelve shares (T. Kelsall) sold to Sarah Kelsall, Southport.
15.7.1903: Twelve shares (J. Johnson), six sold to William Johnson, Manchester and six sold to John Johnson Jnr, Manchester.
30.9.1904: Off Fleetwood in collision with 1st class smack SECRET (FD161) which was badly damaged.
Pre 1914: Sold to Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 84.76 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.NI). Based Cromarty.
8.1918: Returned to owner.
12.11.1918: Sold to Noah Ashworth & Ernest Tomlinson, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
26.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as ERNESTA (FD193).
1925: Sold to Pharos Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (John W. A. Potts, manager).
1930: J. W. Dollin appointed manager.
18.2.1931: In the Firth of Clyde, seven miles NE of Sanda Island, in collision with steam puffer BRITON (68grt/1905) inwards for Glasgow from Carnlough which foundered. Four crew picked up.
1933: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
29.9.1933: Fleetwood registry closed, breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. City of Manchester FD193

S.T. City of Manchester FD193

Changelog
25/12/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
20/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Ida Adams FD327

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 121615
Yard Number: 397
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 275.34
Net Tonnage: 104
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 11.9 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 520ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull

History

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

19.12.1906: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.397) for Robert Cole, Erel Edwin Carter & Sk. Bernard Henry Galvin (64/64 joint owners), Milford Haven as RUBY.
16.3.1907: Registered at Milford (M204).
26.3.1907: Completed. Erel E. Carter designated managing owner.
12.4.1907: Reported landed her maiden catch, £339 gross.
18.10.1907: In heavy seas about 240 miles W from St. Ann’s Head, lost boat and sustained other minor damage (Sk. Bernard H. Galvin).
16.10.1908: Arrived Hull with Herr Hackstetter and Herr Schreiterer survivors of the German balloon PLAUEN picked up in the North Sea, 240 miles from Spurn on 14 Oct.
17.2.1910: Sold to Robert Cole, Erel E. Carter, Milford Haven & David Gwilym Jones,Pembroke Dock (64/64 joint owners). David G. Jones designated managing owner.
12.9.1911: Sold to David Gwilym Jones (32/64), Pembroke Dock & Robert Cole (32/64), Milford Haven. David G. Jones designated managing owner.
10.3.1912: Fishing 250 miles WbyS from St. Ann’s Head (Sk. George Owston), came fast and damaged large and small pinion wheels of winch.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 109.21n net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907
24.3.1914: Last landing at Milford.
8.4.1914: Sold to John Edward Rushworth (32/64), Grimsby & Herbert Lee (32/64), Wimbledon. John Edward Rushworth designated managing owner.
6.4.1914: Milford registry closed.
8.4.1914: Registered at Grimsby (GY58).
8.4.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclay & Co Ltd, London (A).
8.5.1914: Registered at Grimsby as IDA ADAMS (GY58) (BoT Minute R.G.No.11180/1914).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-4”, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.252).
19.2.1916: Mortgage (A) discharged.
21.2.1916: Sold to The Rushworth Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
21.2.1916: John Edward Rushworth designated manager.
21.2.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclay & Co Ltd, London (B).
22.2.1917: Mortgagee re-styled Barclays Bank Ltd, London.
30.7.1917: Mortgage (B) discharged.
30.7.1917: Sold to Noah Ashworth & Ernest Tomlinson (64/64 joint owners), Fleetwood.
30.7.1917: Ernest Taylor designated manager. Based Peterhead.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
18.7.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
20.7.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD327).
31.7.1917: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
2.9.1920: Sold to Vulcan Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
12.12.1923: Responded to distress from steam trawler PETER KILLEN (FD406), stranded on small island off Isle of Lismore, Loch Linnhe.
13.12.1923: With steam trawler LOIS (FD424), connected and successfully refloated. After carrying out checks, PETER KILLEN proceeded to Fleetwood.
1924: William W. Brierley designated manager.
23.3.1926 (?): Sold to Ernest Noble (64/64), Rossall trading as Fleetwood Fish Selling Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Ernest Noble, Rossall designated manager.
18.9.1930: Fishing 9 miles S from Barra Head (Sk. William Atkinson). On hauling, warps fouled and fractured lower part of stern casting at rudder pintle. Put into Oban for repair.
21.9.1930: Temporary repairs completed, sailed Oban for Fleetwood.
21.11.1930: Homeward from the West of Scotland grounds (Sk.William Atkinson). At about 5.15 am. with the Rinns of Islay light on Orsay Island obscured by thick fog, stranded on Frenchman’s Rocks, north west of Portnahaven, Rinns of Islay. The impact caused damage to the shell plating in way of the engine room which quickly became flooded and a small fire in the galley which was quickly extinguished. Despite efforts by the crew to stem the ingress of water it became obvious that with the continued motion of the vessel on the rocks further damage was being sustained. After about an hour, Sk. Atkinson gave the order to abandon ship and the crew boarded the boat and stood off. As they watched the trawler continued to rise and fell back on the rocks in the swell, subsequently slipping off into deeper water. The crew pulled away and after about four miles reached the shore and were taken in by cottagers, given hot food and later walked to Portnahaven. After resting they were taken by car to Port Askaig where they were accommodated in the hotel to await the ferry steamers to the mainland. Sk. Atkinson remained on Islay to assist if necessary with a salvage attempt, but weather conditions prevented this and the wreck was abandoned. 28.11.1930: Fleetwood registry closed “Total Loss”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Ida Adams FD327

S.T. Ida Adams FD327
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
19/-5/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
14/11/2019: Updated information.