S.T. City of Dundee FD4

Technical

Official Number: 136887
Yard Number: 576
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 269
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.3 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

27.4.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.576) for Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager) as CITY OF DUNDEE.
22.5.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD4).
5.1914: Completed.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Ad.No.678). Based Dover.
15.9.1915: At 7.10 pm. foundered after collision with steamer PATROCLUS (5509grt/?) at the Folkestone Gate. Officer in Command Lieut. Albert J. Coles RNR and seven men saved, six by PATROCLUS and two by steamer MISTLEY (135grt/?) . Remainder of crew, Warrant Officer Telegraphist, RNR and six men, lost*.
28.9.1915: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Lost* – Ty/Warrant Telegraphist Ernest A. Sutton; Charles E. Freeman, 2nd Hand; Arthur Howe, 2nd Engineman; Thomas Baker & Thomas May, deckhands; William E. Hill, trimmer.)

(Note: “Lieut. A. J. Coles RNR and Lieut. A. Bean RNR “SEAWARD HO” rendered good Service on Folkestone Gate, when traffic Route had to be diverted at a moment’s notice”.)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. City of Dundee FD4

S.T. City of Dundee FD4
Picture courtesy of Bill Blow

Changelog
18/05/2012: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
09/08/2014: Picture added.
03/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.