Category Archives: Steamers (Picture)

S.T. St. Jean B3036

Additional information courtesy of Birgir Þórisson

Technical

Official Number: Unknown
Yard Number: 34
Gross Tonnage: 286.73
Net Tonnage: 101
Length: 42.00 m (137.8 ft)
Breadth: 6.98 m (22.9 ft)
Depth: 3.60 m (11.8 ft )
Built: Société des Ateliers et Chantiers de France, Dunkirk
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Société des Ateliers et Chantiers de France, Dunkirk

History

1906: Completed by Société des Ateliers et Chantiers de France, Dunkirk (Yd.No34) for Armand Coppin et Cie, Boulogne as St. Jaean at a cost of 180,000 francs (£7,140)
1906: Registered at Boulogne (B3036). Armand Coppin designated manager.
17.5.1907: Reported that whilst on the Iceland grounds vessel had been ashore and was towed to Reykjavik by the French steam trawler LIBERTÉ.
1914: Requisitioned at Boulogne for war service by Marine Francais as an auxiliary patrol trawler/escort. Attached to 3rd Patrol Squadron Western Mediterranean (Sk. Jean-Marie Grall).
27.4.1918: Following attack on tanker ROMANY (3983grt/1902) by U-boat (UB48 – Wolfgang Steinbauer) some 50 miles SW by W3/4W of Cape Spartivento, Sardinia, shelled and damage by U-boat; three crew including skipper, Jean-Marie Grall, killed.
1919: Returned to owner.
21.2.1923: Put into Penzance to take bunker coal.
1927: New boiler fitted.
2.10.1936: In the evening off Rye Bay (Sk. Victor Lepreto) stopped by sloop HMS Lupin (Cdr H. A. Rowley RN) on Fishery Patrol duties, after initially refusing to stop, making off and shots were fired. Sk. Lepreto was arrested for entering British exclusive fishery limits for a purpose not recognised by international law and fishing within the three mile limit. Brought into Dover.
3.10.1936: At Dover Magistrates Court, Sk. Lepreto told the bench that he was seeking shelter. The weather being fine this was not accepted and he was fined £10 for entering British exclusive fishery limits; the charge of fishing off Rye Bay inside the three mile limit was not proceeded with.
1939: Sold to Pêcheries de la Morinie, Boulogne. Paul Ficheux designated manager.
8.1939: In Fleetwood for repair. At outbreak of war not required by Free French Naval Force (FNFL) or The Admiralty.
1940: Fishing Iceland grounds out of Fleetwood. Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, managing agents.
1.1941: Sk. André Lecoeur ex JOSEPH DUHAMEL became fishing master.
1.5.1943: Typical landing. 1100 kits – cod-650, haddock-300, flats-20, ling & coley-130.
1945: Returned to France.
1946: Sold to Société Dunkerquoise de Remorquage et de Sauvetage, Dunkirk.
1948: Broken up. 1949: Boulogne registry closed.
31.7.1957: An appeal was heard in the Chancery Division of The High Court on behalf of Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd against assessments to income tax for 1940-41 and 1944-45 on profits made from operating the St. JEAN out of Fleetwood. The BDSF&I Co Ltd owned 49% of the shares in the trawler owners, Pêcheries de la Morinie, Boulogne-sur-Mer and the profits were paid over to the French company after the war. For the Crown it was argued that the profits were taxable as those of a foreign company carrying on business in the UK through an agent. Mr. Justice Harman held that agency could not exist while France was in enemy occupation. He allowed the appeal with costs against the Crown.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. St-Jean B3036

S.T. St-Jean B3036
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
17/02/2018: Page published.
18/02/2018: PLN added.
19/02/2018: Updated details.
23/02/2018: Picture added.

S.T. Kestrel GY831

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow
Technical

Official Number: 109817
Yard Number: 216
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 181
Net Tonnage: 65
Length: 109.1
Breadth: 21.0
Depth: 11.3 ft
Built: Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Beverley
Engine: T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

21.7.1898: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.216) for Thomas Baskcomb, Grimsby as KESTREL.
12.9.1898: Completed.
13.9.1898: Registered at Grimsby (GY831). Thomas Baskcomb designated managing owner. Later fishing out of Fleetwood.
1.1911: Sold to Alick Black, Grimsby. Alick Black designated managing owner.
3.12.1912: Sold to Alfred Bannister, Grimsby. Alfred Bannister designated managing owner.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 74 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
17.3.1917: When some 20 miles E by S of Longstone Light, stopped by U-boat (UC50). Crew abandoned in boat and vessel sunk by gunfire. All crew saved.
22.3.1917: Grimsby registry closed “Sunk by enemy submarine”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Kestrel GY831

S.T. Kestrel GY831
Picture courtesy of The Stephen Myerscough Collection

Changelog
10/04/2017: Page published.

S.T. Lord Beaconsfield GY563

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 137032
Yard Number: 639
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 301.46
Net Tonnage: 156.49
Length: 135.0 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.35 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: T.3-cyl (520ihp) and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

3.4.1915: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.639) for Anchor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as TRIBUNE.
15.7.1915: Registered at Grimsby (Part IV) (GY563).
6.8.1915: Registered at Grimsby (Part I).
6.8.1915: William Somerville Letten designated manager.
18.8.1915: Completed.
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1747).
5.2.1916: George Somerville Letten designated manager.
2.1918: Renamed TRIBUNE II.
1920: Returned to owner and reverted to TRIBUNE (GY563).
12.9.1923: Sold to The Beacon Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
25.9.1923: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
9.10.1923: William Francis Goodwin designated manager.
27.11.1923: Mortgagee re-styled Midland Bank Ltd, London.
1.10.1924: Registered at Grimsby as LORD BEACONSFIELD (GY563) (BoT Minute No.1421 dated 16.9.1924).
1927: Seasonal fishing out of Canso, Nova Scotia.
12.1.1928: Reported that when outward for Icelandic grounds, encountered severe gale in North Atlantic and swept by heavy seas smashing the wheelhouse and carried it away along with the two lifeboats. Deckhand J. Laurenson who was at the wheel was carried away with the wreckage of the wheelhouse and not seen again. Arrived Seyðisfjörður for repairs.
30.7.1928: Mortgage (A) discharged.
4.8.1928: John Denton Marsden designated manager.
31.9.1928: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
30.11.1928: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
3.1929: Chartered to fish in Canadian waters based at Canso, Nova Scotia in a training role.
28.3.1929: Grimsby registry closed “ … transferred to the Port of Canso, Nova Scotia … “.
7.7.1930: Notification received from Registrar of Shipping, Canso that transfer of Registration has not been accepted, the owners having failed to comply with requirements of the Canadian Shipping Act. (?? Order 39039/30 dated 2.7.1930 refers).
7.7.1930: Registry re-opened at Grimsby (GY563).
18.3.1931: From Icelandic Coastguard steamer ODINN. “Trawler LORD BEACONSFIELD ashore 35 miles east of Portland (Iceland). On rocks. Weather calm and swell moderate to rather rough.” At 10.00am. crew left and safe on shore.
24.3.1931: Refloated and taken in tow for Reykjavik; four crew onboard.
30.4.1932: Reported that outward from Grimsby for Icelandic grounds, in collision off the Scottish Coast in dense fog with Aberdeen steam trawler DEVANHA (A458); neither vessel suffered much damage.
12.9.1933: Mortgage (B) discharged.
12.9.1933: Sold to Sk. Martinus August Olesen, Grimsby and Archibald Ambrose Winter, Cleethorpes (64/64 joint owners).
14.9.1933: Martinus August Olesen designated managing owner.
28.9.1933: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby (C).
3.4.1935: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
8.4.1935: Sir John Denton Marsden Bt designated manager.
28.8.1937: On the Icelandic grounds, deckhand A. C. Dennison (20) of Grimsby was scalded by boiling oil whilst extracting oil from cod livers. Landed at Seyðisfjörður but died in hospital.
8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Hire rate £83.1.0d/month).
4.9.1939: Based Grimsby on Fishery Protection duties.
4.6.1940: Converted for service a s a minesweeper (1-12pdr)(P.No.FY608). Based Ipswich with M/S & Patrol Group 79.
12.1941: Ty/Sk. Alfred Hill RNR appointed CO.
23.4.1942: Sold to J. Bennett (Wholesale) Ltd (64/64), London.
28.4.1942: Harry Markham Cook, Fleetwood designated manager.
11.8.1943: Sk. Wilfred Thompson RNR appointed CO.
6.1945: Paid off to Reserve, awaiting disposal.
16.10.1945: Returned to owner after restoration and classification at Aberdeen. Sailed Aberdeen for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Sydney Brewis, Hull); seventeen crew all told.
17.10.1945: In dense fog, stranded on rocks off Prail Castle, 1nm SW of Red Head, Auchmithe, Angus. In response to rockets and distress call, attended by Arbroath lifeboat, JOHN & WILLIAM MUDIE, Cox. William Swankie. As tide receded assumed list to port of about 45° and engine room and stoke hold flooded to a depth of 10ft. All crew taken off by lifeboat and landed at Arbroath; personal gear brought ashore in ship’s boat. Later attended by two salvage vessels, but salvage considered impractical and vessel considered a constructive total loss (CTL). Accepted as loss by underwriters.
6.12.1945: Grimsby registry closed “Total Loss”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Lord Beaconsfield GY563

S.T. Lord Beaconsfield GY563
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

Lord Beaconsfield

Lord Beaconsfield
Picture © IWM

Changelog
28/03/2017: Page published.

S.T. Edinboro’ Castle GY1285

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 110877
Yard Number: 123
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 241.16
Net Tonnage: 89.97
Length: 119.3 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee
Engine: T.3-cyl (540ihp) and boiler by Cooper & Greig, Dundee

History

1899: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.123) for Atlantic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as MAGNIFIC.
4.1899: Completed.
24.4.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY8).
24.4.1899: Robert Walter Windeatt designated manager.
2.5.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (A).
7.6.1900: Sold to Grimsby Steam Fishing Vessels’ Mutual Insurance & Protecting Co Ltd, Grimsby.
7.6.1900: Mortgage (A) discharged.
29.6.1900: Sold to Hugh McIntyre (64/64), Glasgow.
11.6.1900: George Jeffs designated manager.
9.7.1900; Hugh McIntyre designated managing owner.
9.4.1901: Sold to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd (64/64), Liverpool.
18.4.1901: Grimsby registry closed “Coasting”.
18.4.1901: Frederick Charles Bowring designated manager.
4.1901: Registered at Liverpool. Based Halifax, Nova Scotia and engaged trawling on the Newfoundland banks. Results only judged to be “fairly successful”.
11.1903: Sold to James Codling, John William Hobbs & Arthur James Baxter, all Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
27.11.1903: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd, Liverpool for the sum of £5,500 with interest at 6% (B).
30.11.1903: Arthur James Baxter designated managing owner.
1.12.1903: Liverpool registry closed.
2.12.1903: Registered at Grimsby (GY1285).
1.1.1904: Registered at Grimsby as EDINBORO’ CASTLE (GY1285) BoT Minute 23790/05).
28.1.1908: Vessel sold by mortgagee under mortgage (B) to John William Hobbs, Leonard Brocklesby & Arthur Oscar Burns, all Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
1909: New boiler fitted
29.1.1909: John William Hobbs designated managing owner.
29.1.1909: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to C. T. Bowring & Co Ltd, Liverpool for the sum of £3,125 with interest at 6% (C).
6.7.1909: William Acaster, Fleetwood designated managing owner at Fleetwood.
9.7.1909 – 10.1.1910: Running Agreement. Fishing out of Fleetwood (Sk. Sam Edwards, Knott End).
28.1.1910 – 1.7.1910: Running Agreement. Fishing out of Fleetwood (Sk. George Albert Novo, Fleetwood).
28.1.1910: William Acaster, Fleetwood designated agent for managing owner.
28.4.1910: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Stamford, Spalding & Boston Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (D).
3.1.1912: Mortgage (C) transferred to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (C).
5.1.1912: Mortgage (D) discharged.
15.1.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Spalding Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (E)
7.2.1912: Mortgage (C) discharged.
12.6.1912: Mortgage (E) discharged.
13.6.1912: Sold to The Waverley Steam Fishing Co (Grimsby) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
13.6.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (F).
15.6.1912: Alfred Bannister designated manager.
27.9.1912: Sold to Alfred Bannister (64/64), Grimsby.
16.10.1912: Mortgage (F) discharged.
17.10.1912: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclay & Co Ltd, London (G).
17.10.1912: Alfred Bannister designated managing owner.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 94.29net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service. Fitted out as a boom trawler. Based Milford Haven.
18.8.1915: Sold to William Barton & Alfred Bannister, Grimsby (joint owners 64/64).
20.8.1915: Alfred Bannister designated managing owner.
29.6.1916: Mortgage (G) discharged.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
15.4.1931: Alfred Bannister died.
3.9.1931: Probate granted to William Barton (64/64), Grimsby.
1.12.1931: Bernard H. Bannister designated manager.
8.12.1931: William Barton shares (32/64) sold to Fred Bannister, Cleethorpes, Bernard H. Bannister, Cleethorpes, Harvey Wilfred Wilson, Grimsby & Thomas Henry Partington, Grimsby (joint owners 32/64).
31.12.1931: Bernard H. Bannister designated managing owner.
6.5.1944: Fred Bannister, Bernard H. Bannister, Harvey Wilfred Wilson & Thomas Henry Partington shares (32/64) sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (32/64), Grimsby.
6.5.1944: Fred Bannister designated manager.
16.10.1951: William Barton died.
17.4.1952: Probate granted to Elsie Barton, Gainsborough & Eric Dyson, Gainsborough, Executors (joint owners 32/64).
6.5.1952: Elsie Barton & Eric Dyson shares (32/64) sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (64/64). Grimsby.
6.5.1952: Fred Bannister designated manager.
12.1955: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
20.12.1955: Arrived Bruges.
6.1.1956: Grimsby registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Edinboro Castle GY1285

S.T. Edinboro Castle GY1285
Picture courtesy of Greenday (TPF)

S.T. Edinboro Castle GY1285

S.T. Edinboro Castle GY1285
Picture courtesy of The Peter Green Collection

Changelog
13/01/2017: Page published.
17/01/2017: Minor information update.
06/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermark and added an image.

S.T. Norse (2) – H141

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 162209
Yard Number: 560
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 351
Net Tonnage: 138
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Breadth: 13.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl (600ihp) and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

6.11.1930: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.560) for Hellyer Bros Ltd as NORSE.
3.12.1930: Registered at Hull (H141). Frank Orlando & Owen Snooks Hellyer appointed joint managers.
15.12.1930: Completed. Insured for £16,500.
18.12.1930: Sailed on first trip to Norwegian Coast (Sk.Sydney Herbert Meggett); fourteen crew all told.
8.1.1931: At Hull landed 1,781 kits £1,915 gross.
1931: Landings – 334days at sea, 19,100 kits £15,097 gross.
20.7.1939: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk.Henry Leads) last trip before sale.
8.8.1938: At Hull landed 1,202 kits £841 gross.
9.8.1939: Sold to Shire Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £12,400.
11.8.1939: Hull registry closed.
14.8.1939: Registered at Grimsby (GY197).
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr HA/LA, AA weapons) (P.No.FY1628) (Hire rate £174.0.9d/month).
12.1940: At Sheerness un-grouped (Ty/Sk. Charles S. Larter DSC RNR).
3.9.1940: Sk. Larter Mentioned in Despatches for bravery, skill and enterprise in Minesweeping operations off the Coasts of Holland, Belgium and France.
5.9.1940: Sk. Charles W. H. Shearing RNR appointed CO.
1.11.1940: Sk.Charles Whitworth appointed CO.
8.1.1941: At Sheerness with M/S Group 121 ((Ty/Sk. J. T. Salter RNR).
25.6.1941: Joined escort of Convoy OG 66, Liverpool for Gibraltar (Ty/Lieut. John Charles Staniland RNR).
8.7.1941: Arrived Gibraltar. Mediterranean Command.
10.1943: Ty/Lieut. William Ian Brooks RNVR appointed CO.
6.1944: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties (Ty/ Lieut. Philip Winton Jequier RNVR).
10.11.1944: Returned to owner.
2.1945: Restored and surveyed at Middlesbrough.
26.10.1945: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull.
31.10.1945: Grimsby registry closed.
6.11.1945: Registered at Hull (H141). Kenneth Percival appointed manager/Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd agents. Insured for £30,000.
29.10.1945: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Harry Fletcher, Grimsby); twenty crew all told.
26.11.1945: At Hull landed 573 kits £2,771 gross.
8.3.1946: Sailed Hull for Norway Coast (Sk. Frederick Pitts) last trip before sale.
30.3.1946: At Hull landed 1,909 kits £6,146 gross.
29.10.1945 – 30.3.1946: Landings – 128 days at sea, 5,604 kits £19,770.
15.4.1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood. Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO appointed manager. Hull manager Percy Lincoln Campbell.
15.4.1946: Lt Cdr Eric George Littler, DSC RNR, Fleetwood appointed skipper.
11.1946: Sold to p/f Jacob Haraldsen’s Efterfölgere, Fuglefjord, Faroe Islands.
28.11.1946: Hull registry closed. 12.1946: Registered at Fuglefjord as KROSS-STEINYU (aka KROSSSTEINUR) (FD88). A/S Kristian Haraldsen & J. P. Gregerson appointed managers.
10.1955: Sold to A/S H.J. Hansen, Odense, for breaking up.
1955: Fuglefjord registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Krosssteinur FD88

S.T. Krosssteinur FD88

Changelog
15/11/2016: Page published.
17/11/2016: Information updated.