Category Archives: Steamers (Picture)

S.T. Norse (2) – H141

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 162209
Yard Number: 560
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 351
Net Tonnage: 138
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Breadth: 13.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl (600ihp) and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

6.11.1930: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.560) for Hellyer Bros Ltd as NORSE.
3.12.1930: Registered at Hull (H141). Frank Orlando & Owen Snooks Hellyer appointed joint managers.
15.12.1930: Completed. Insured for £16,500.
18.12.1930: Sailed on first trip to Norwegian Coast (Sk.Sydney Herbert Meggett); fourteen crew all told.
8.1.1931: At Hull landed 1,781 kits £1,915 gross.
1931: Landings – 334days at sea, 19,100 kits £15,097 gross.
20.7.1939: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk.Henry Leads) last trip before sale.
8.8.1938: At Hull landed 1,202 kits £841 gross.
9.8.1939: Sold to Shire Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £12,400.
11.8.1939: Hull registry closed.
14.8.1939: Registered at Grimsby (GY197).
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr HA/LA, AA weapons) (P.No.FY1628) (Hire rate £174.0.9d/month).
12.1940: At Sheerness un-grouped (Ty/Sk. Charles S. Larter DSC RNR).
3.9.1940: Sk. Larter Mentioned in Despatches for bravery, skill and enterprise in Minesweeping operations off the Coasts of Holland, Belgium and France.
5.9.1940: Sk. Charles W. H. Shearing RNR appointed CO.
1.11.1940: Sk.Charles Whitworth appointed CO.
8.1.1941: At Sheerness with M/S Group 121 ((Ty/Sk. J. T. Salter RNR).
25.6.1941: Joined escort of Convoy OG 66, Liverpool for Gibraltar (Ty/Lieut. John Charles Staniland RNR).
8.7.1941: Arrived Gibraltar. Mediterranean Command.
10.1943: Ty/Lieut. William Ian Brooks RNVR appointed CO.
6.1944: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties (Ty/ Lieut. Philip Winton Jequier RNVR).
10.11.1944: Returned to owner.
2.1945: Restored and surveyed at Middlesbrough.
26.10.1945: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull.
31.10.1945: Grimsby registry closed.
6.11.1945: Registered at Hull (H141). Kenneth Percival appointed manager/Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd agents. Insured for £30,000.
29.10.1945: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Harry Fletcher, Grimsby); twenty crew all told.
26.11.1945: At Hull landed 573 kits £2,771 gross.
8.3.1946: Sailed Hull for Norway Coast (Sk. Frederick Pitts) last trip before sale.
30.3.1946: At Hull landed 1,909 kits £6,146 gross.
29.10.1945 – 30.3.1946: Landings – 128 days at sea, 5,604 kits £19,770.
15.4.1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood. Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO appointed manager. Hull manager Percy Lincoln Campbell.
15.4.1946: Lt Cdr Eric George Littler, DSC RNR, Fleetwood appointed skipper.
11.1946: Sold to p/f Jacob Haraldsen’s Efterfölgere, Fuglefjord, Faroe Islands.
28.11.1946: Hull registry closed. 12.1946: Registered at Fuglefjord as KROSS-STEINYU (aka KROSSSTEINUR) (FD88). A/S Kristian Haraldsen & J. P. Gregerson appointed managers.
10.1955: Sold to A/S H.J. Hansen, Odense, for breaking up.
1955: Fuglefjord registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Krosssteinur FD88

S.T. Krosssteinur FD88

Changelog
15/11/2016: Page published.
17/11/2016: Information updated.

S.T. Eileen Wray HL61

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 123368
Yard Number: 291
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 240
Net Tonnage: 62
Length: 120.6 ft
Breadth: 22.9 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by J. Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen

History

23.5.1906: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.291) for The Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as STAR of LIBERTY.
9.1906: Completed.
30.10.1906: Registered at Aberdeen (A88). Andrew walker appointed manager.
11.5.1908: Arrived Aberdeen from an Icelandic trip reporting boat lost when howmewards due to stress of weather.
7.5.1912: Aberdeen registry closed. To fish in South African waters.
14.10.1912: Laid up in Victoria Dock, Aberdeen and advertised for sale in ‘Aberdeen Journal’ Interest shown by the French Government and sale to French nationals confirmed.
19??: Remeasured 241g 53n.
1912: Sold to Soc. Anon. des Pêcheries de Biarritz, Biarritz. Renamed GRAZIELLA.
1915: Sold to Rene Pettit, Dieppe. Registered at Dieppe (D-1659).
By 1925: Sold to Brunet & Ledoux, Boulogne.
1927: Sold to Brunet & Co, Boulogne. Dieppe registry closed. Registered at Boulogne (B-??).
1928: Sold to Stephen Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
1928: Remeasured 226.50g 98.34n.
6.9.1928: Registered at Aberdeen as GRAZIELLA (A368) (Minute M/RG1352/28 dated 20.8.28).
2.12.1928: Registered at Aberdeen as JANE STEPHEN (A368). Thomas Stephen appointed manager.
8.1933: Sold to William Wray, Hartlepool.
8.9.1933: Aberdeen registry closed.
9.1933: Registered at Hartlepool (HL61).
9.10.1933: Registered at Hartlepool as EILEEN WRAY (HL61). William Wray designated managing owner.
7.2.1934: Homeward from fishing grounds (Sk. Ben Trueman), when some 200 miles from Hartlepool ran into very heavy weather and NW gale; boat lost, wheelhouse window stove in and some deckpound boards washed away.
9.2.1934: Arrived Hartlepool.
14.3.1935: Landed a Royal sturgeon – 3 stone and 5ft in length.
6/7.1936: Landed at Fleetwood (The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd agents)
17.12.1939: Off Hartlepool badly damaged by German aircraft, towed into Hartlepool but later foundered; no casualties.
12.1939: Salved, repaired and returned to service.
14.11.1940: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys appointed manager.
1942: Sold to Hellyer Brothers Ltd, Hull.
12.1942: Hartlepool registry closed.
18.12.1942: Registered at Hull (H8).
10.1945: Sold to Humber Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
10.1945: Hull registry closed.
19.10.1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY108).
19.10.1945: Joseph Reynolds Cobley appointed manager.
3.11.1945: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
13.7.1951: Mortgage (A) discharged.
1952: Sold for breaking up.
23.5.1952: Grimsby registry closed. “ Ship broken up ”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Eileen Wray HL61

S.T. Eileen Wray HL61
Picture courtesy of Malcolm Cook (Hartlepool History)

Changelog
06/05/2016: Page published.
06/10/2016: Information updated.

S.T. Monarch – LT14

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 104196
Yard Number: 122
Completed: 1895
Gross Tonnage: 129.59
Net Tonnage: 46.93
Length: 93.6 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley
Engine: 450ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull

History

12.2.1895: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.122) for The Anchor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as MONARCH.
13.3.1895: Registered at Grimsby (GY748).
13.3.1895: William Somerville Letten appointed manager.
14.3.1895: Completed.
15.3.1899: Sold to Stephen Williamson (64/64), Liverpool.
17.3.1899: Request to transfer registry to Aberdeen.
20.3.1899: Grimsby registry closed.
30.3.1899: Registered at Aberdeen (A35). Michael Doig appointed manager.
1906: Sold to Thomas Davidson (64/64), Aberdeen.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 53.96 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve. Renamed MONARCH IV.
1919: Released and reverted to MONARCH (A35).
6.2.1929: Sold George Allan Breach (21/64), Louisa Breach (21/64) and William Hutchings (22/64), Lowestoft.
4.2.1929: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.2.1929: Registered at Lowestoft (LT14). William Hutchings designated managing owner.
1935: Fishing from Fleetwood. (Jack Breach Ltd managing agents).
12.12.1935: Sold to Louisa Breach (43/64) & George Allan Breach (21/64), Lowestoft. John Victor Breach appointed manager.
9.1938: Sold to Belgium for breaking up.
8.10.1938: Lowestoft registry closed. “Vessel broken up … “

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Monarch LT14

S.T. Monarch LT14
Picture courtesy of the Aberdeen Maritime Museum

S.T. Monarch LT14

S.T. Monarch LT14
Transfer registration request.

Changelog
18/04/2016: Page published.
19/05/2016: Information updated.

S.T. Leukos – D85

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall

Technical

Official Number: 137154
Yard Number: 405
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 215.74
Net Tonnage: 83.07
Length: 115.0 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Built: The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood Ltd, Coatbridge, Glasgow

History

1914: Launched by The John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.405) for The National Steam Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen as LEUKOS.
8.1914: Completed.
27.8.1914: Registered at Aberdeen (A102). James Scott Jnr appointed manager.
12.12.1914: Arrived Aberdeen (Sk. George Robertson) with body of a naval officer picked up at sea to the NE of Aberdeen. Body believed to be an officer belonging to HMS HAWKE (Capt. Hugh P. E. T. Williams RN) torpedoed off Peterhead by U-boat (U.9) on
15 10.1914.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (Ad.No.N.I.). Based Scapa, Orkney.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
27.1.1920: Sold to Arthur Reginald Tucker & James Cornelius Tippet, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
2.4.1920: Sold to Tucker, Tippet & Co Ltd, Cardiff. James Cornelius Tippet appointed manager.
1922: Fishing from Milford. Harry E. East managing agent.
27.2.1927: Sailed Milford for the fishing grounds (Sk. Edward Major). Owing to weather outside came to anchor off Popton Point.
28.2.1927: At about 10.00am. observed trawler THOMAS BARTLETT (LO373) coming in from sea and anchored close by, the wind was south west to west blowing a strong gale. The bosun, Charles Richard Johnson was on anchor watch, and reported to the skipper that the THOMAS BARTLETT was dragging and when some 20 to 30 yards away it appeared she would drive across the bows. The whistle was sounded and the THOMAS BARTLETT eased her cable and started to come astern but did not clear, hitting the stem with the port side, the head coming round to starboard and the THOMAS BARTLETT dropped down along side on the starboard side. No damage to the stem was apparent.
28.2.1927: Sailed for the fishing grounds but found water ingress in way of the stem, temporary repair carried out by Ch Eng. and continued on voyage.
1.6.1927: Last landing at Milford.
18.6.1927: Sold to Dublin Trawling, Ice and Cold Storage Co Ltd, Dublin.
24.6.1927: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.1927: Registered at Dublin (D86). Patrick Fannon appointed manager. Occasional landings at Fleetwood.
Mid 2.1940: Last landing at Fleetwood.
29.2.1940: Sailed Dublin for the fishing grounds via Troon to coal (Sk. James Potter Thomasson); eleven hands all told. The ship had the Irish tricolour painted on her hull clearly indicating a vessel from a neutral country; fitted with wireless.
1.3.1940: Sailed Troon for the ‘the bank’ off Tory Island.
9.3.1940: In forenoon spoke to two other trawlers of the same company in Donegal Bay, confirmed a good catch and ETA Dublin 12.3.1940.
9.3.1940: A group of Fleetwood trawlers fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal, ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786); PELAGOS (GN55) and SEDOCK (GY123) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. At 2003 (Wilhelshaven time) a U-boat (U.38) surfaced having observed through periscope and listening device the group of trawlers. On the surface noticed that all had their lights on and were apparently forming a guarding line on a N-S course. In his log the CO. Kptlt. Heinrich Liebe wrote “I decided to administer a warning to one of them with the gun.” At 2113, and within about 200 metres of the target, fired a single round at a ship, hitting her in the engine room; the U-boat withdrew staying on the surface about one hour until ship foundered. No attempt was made by the U-boat to identify the vessel or search for survivors. None of the five trawlers in the vicinity closed to investigate, if in fact they were aware of the incident. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the ship probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
16.3.1940: Owners expressed fears for the safety of the vessel.
21.3.1940: Lifeboat containing a lifebuoy bearing the name ‘S.T. LEUKOS’ washed up at Scarinish, Tiree, Inner Hebrides.
26.3.1940: Posted missing.
1940: Dublin registry closed.

(Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomasson (29) married, Milton Street, Fleetwood & 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin; James Donnelly (42) married, North Albert Street, Fleetwood, Mate; P. J. O’Scanlon, 5 Douglas Road, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alec McLeod (50) single, Wyre Street, Fleetwood and 53 Kenneth Street, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), 10 Boyne Street, Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin & Anthony Pill (18) single, The Mission, Fleetwood & Catholic Seamens Institute, Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17) single, 29 Boyne Street, Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) single, 40 Carlton Street, Marino, Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) single, 69 Park Road, Ringsend, Dublin & Fleetwood and Robert Sumler (16) single, 63 Lower Mount Street, Dublin & Milton Street, Fleetwood (brother-in-law of the skipper), apprentices )

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Leukos D85

S.T. Leukos D85
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

Changelog
08/02/2016: Page published.

S.T. Friesland – GY459

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger, Jan Harteveld and Birgir Þórisson

Technical

Official Number: 110904
Yard Number: 124
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 268
Net Tonnage: 121
Length: 125.0 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Built: Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee
T.3-cyl (540ihp) and boiler by Cooper & Greig, Dundee

History

1899: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.124) for The Grimsby Castle Line Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as BALMORAL

CASTLE.
8.1899: Completed as a well vessel.
25.8.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY530).
25.8.1899: Robert W. Windeatt appointed manager.
6.1908: Sold to Stoomvisscherij Mij Friesland, IJmuiden through Maatschappij tot Beheer van Steamtrawlers en Andere Vaartuigen.
23.6.1908: Registered at IJmuiden as FRIESLAND (IJM16). A. G. Meeuwenoord Jnr & A. de Vries designated managers.
29.6.1908: Grimsby registry closed.
9.2.1909: IJmuiden registration withdrawn by Lord Mayor of Velsen on legal grounds; owners informed but did not agree.
6.1908: Sold to Maats “Friesland”, IJmuiden.
29.6.1908: Grimsby registry closed.
6.1908: Registered at IJmuiden as FRIESLAND (IJM109).
5.1909: Sold to Arthur Smith, Grimsby.
5.5.1909: Registered at Grimsby as FRIESLAND (GY459).
5.5.1909: Alick Black appointed manager. Converted to a trawler. Well closed by rivets. Fishing from Fleetwood.
20.2.1911: Arrived Fleetwood with 600 boxes of hake caught off the Moroccan coast, £600 – £700 gross.
1914: Sold to Henry Burns and W. Burns, Grimsby for the sum of £4,000.
12.1914: Requisitioned for war service and converted to a boom defence vessel (1-12pdr).
1917: Sold to The Zaree Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £9,000. Henry Burns appointed manager.
9.1919: Returned to owners without being reconditioned, the company being allowed £3,630 for the necessary reconditioning work.
10.10.1919: Sailed Grimsby on first trip after reconditioning.
6.1920: Dry-docked for inspection, cleaning and painting.
12.1920: Laid up in Alexandra Dock which was also the timber pound.
6.5.1921: Manager ordered vessel prepared for sea, intending to make one trip to avoid dock dues. Engineering Superintendent, Mr Waddingham, advised dry-docking to inspect bottom but this was not pursued by the manager.
7.5.1921: Steam raised.
11.5.1921: Insured with Lloyds for the sum of £10,000 for one month from this date. Book value £6,000.
12.5.1921: Sailed Grimsby at 9.30am. for North Sea grounds (Sk. Henry Ormonde); ten hands all told. Weather fine, sea calm and slight SE breeze. Shortly after noon, deckhand Anderson went into the engine room to see his friend the 2nd Eng and noticed water in the bilge and the engine connecting rod bottom ends were splashing in water as they revolved. The 2nd responded saying, “Yes, the ship is leaking”. The water ingress was not reported to the skipper. At dinner shortly after 1.00pm. the third hand asked the 2nd how the ship was going and he replied, she was “ leaking like a basket”. The third hand asked if it was a case of going back but the 2nd replied that he did not know. This conversation was confirmed by others present. The skipper was not informed. At 2.00pm. the trimmer, John Love, who had listened to the conversation after dinner went into the engine room to get a lamp and observed that the cranks were splashing around in the crank pit. At 3.45pm. the Ch Eng noticed a knocking in the high pressure crank bearing and asked the second hand who was on watch to stop the ship so he could inspect and tighten up. The nuts were tightened and the engine restarted but after about twenty minutes the 2nd called for the Ch Eng. and on arriving in the engine room saw that water was rushing in. The ejector and the donkey pump was started but the water was quickly over the plates and the shipside valve for the ejector was under water and could not be opened up. In the stokehold the water had risen so much that the boiler could not be fired. The skipper was called and on seeing the amount of water, knee deep over the engine room plates, ran on deck and by steam whistle and flag signalled the steam trawler NAIRANA (H528) which had just overtaken them, to come to their assistance. The NAIRANA some three miles away immediately turned and came within hailing distance. The crew had set to work with the hand pump and buckets but were quite unable to deal with the ingress of water. The water rose and put out the fires and shortly after the engine stopped. The NAIRANA came alongside, connected and for about three-quarters of an hour towed towards the coast but the vessel started to settle and the skipper thought it advisable to to let go the tow line and he and the crew got into the boat which they had previously tuned out. At about 6.15pm. they all boarded the NAIRANA. At about this time the Hull trawler TANJORE (H759), homeward from the fishing grounds came on the scene. The three skippers and the mate and Ch Eng of the FRIESLAND went back onboard but it was evident that nothing could be done to save the ship. At about 7.30pm. the FRIESLAND foundered sinking stern first in position about 25 miles NE1/2E from Spurn lightship. The crew transferred to the TANJORE and proceeded to Hull, the FRIESLAND crew later transferring to the Grimsby trawler ELITE (GY100) which landed them safely at Grimsby with most of their belongings.
12.5.1921: Grimsby registry closed. “Vessel foundered”.
5.9.1921: Following the formal investigation held at Grimsby, the Court found that the FRIESLAND was lost by foundering in consequence of the inrush of water, the cause of which the Court is compelled to leave undetermined. The Court also considers Mr. Henry Burns to blame for not accepting Mr. Waddingham’s suggestion that she should be dry-docked and thoroughly examined before she went to sea, and ordered him to pay £200 towards the costs of the Inquiry. The Chief and 2nd Engineers deserve severe censure for not having informed the skipper that the vessel was making water at a much earlier time than they did. Their default in this matter greatly reduced the chance of the vessel being turned round and regaining the land before foundering.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Friesland GY459

S.T. Friesland GY459
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
24/01/2016: Page published.
28/01/2016: Picture added and information updated.
12/03/2018: Information updated.