Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 116085
Yard Number: 303
Gross Tonnage: 247
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 70hp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
8.7.1902: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.303) for James H. Collinson, Hull (managing owner) as CAVE.
17.9.1902: Registered at Hull (H.643).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.389).
30.12.1916: Additional 1-6pdr HA fitted. Northern Patrol.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
23.10.1923: Transferred to Exors of late James H. Collinson – Harry Collinson, Henry Hewett & Jesse Spring (64/64 joint owners), Hull.
30.1.1924: Connected with steamer ELVENES (3899grt/1901) disabled with damaged rudder and delivered Stornoway.
3.6.1924: Awarded £2600 by Admiralty Court for assistance to steamer ELVENES.
2.7.1924: Sold to Harry, Stanley & Charles Collinson,
Hull. 10.10.1924: Sold to Harry & Stanley Collinson, Hull.
25.1.1930: When entering Kirkwall, Orkney ran aground. Worked the engine, came afloat and berthed: no damage.
10.8.1933: Sold to The Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Bowden Ramster, manager).
2.12.1935: When entering Stornoway, Isle of Lewis ran aground and held fast. Steam trawler TRANSVAAL (FD381) connected and refloated; berthed for survey.
16.3.1937: Homeward from the fishing grounds in very heavy weather when 30 miles west of Dhu Hearteach shipped a heavy sea and three crew swept across deck and dashed against ironwork. John Randle sustained head injuries and Tom Garwood and John Snasdall body injuries.
17.3.1937: Put into Oban for medical assistance; all three taken to West Highland Cottage Hospital, Randell was unconscious and his injuries serious.
6.8.1943: Sold to J. Bennett (Wholesale) Ltd, London (William A. Bennett, manager). Landing at Fleetwood from Faroe and Iceland grounds.
30.11.1945: Insured value £14,000; for 1946 proposed same.
21.10.1946: Sold to William Flockhart, Newhaven, Edinburgh & others (trading as Ocean Fishing Co, Newhaven) (George A. Ward, manager).
7.11.1947: Sold to Joseph Croan, Edinburgh.
12.8.1948: Sold to Den Fishing Co Ltd, Dundee (Harry McFarlane, Broughty Ferry, manager).
1950: Sold to BISCO and allocated to P. & W. McLellan Ltd, Bo’ness for breaking up.
3.5.1950: Arrived Bo’ness from Granton under own power.
22.12.1950: Hull registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
23/01/2009: Page published. 10 revisions since then.
20/08/2014: Broken image link repaired.
28/07/2016: Information added.
30/12/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.