Category Archives: Steam Trawlers

S. D. Record H777

Seasonal visitor
Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson, Barry Banham and David Slinger

Technical

Official Number: 119360
Yard Number: ??
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 67.26
Net Tonnage: 40.57
Length: 80.0 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 8.4 ft
Engine: 125ihp T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co, Gt Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees

History

4.1904: Launched by Henry Reynolds, South Side Shipyard, Lowestoft for Robert Catchpole (64/64), Kessingland as RECORD.
5.1904: Completed.
25.5.1904: Registered at Lowestoft (LT360). Robert Catchpole designated managing owner.
22.12.1913: Sold to Jermyn T. Greengrass (64/64), Lowestoft. Jermyn T. Greengrass designated managing owner.
27.5.1918: Sold to John Victor Breech (64/64), Lowestoft. John Victor Breech designated managing owner.
30.12.1918: Sold to William Samuel Capps (21/63), George Gurney Hall (21/64) and John Victor Breach (22/64), Lowestoft. John Victor Breech designated managing owner.
6.4.1920: Sold to Goldthorpe, Scott & Wright Ltd, Grimsby.
26.4.1920: Lowestoft registry closed “No longer fishing”.
4.1920: Registered at Grimsby. Samuel L. Goldthorpe, New Cleethorpes designated manager. Employed running between Grimsby and Hull, parcels and general.
16.11.1922: Sold to Frederick Arthur Boards, Jesse Edwin Worth, Hull and Ernest William Little, Bridlington (64/64 joint owners). Ernest William Little, Bridlington designated managing owner. Grimsby registry closed.
16.11.1922: Registered at Hull.
4.12.1922: Sold to Record (Hull) Steam Fishing Co Ltd. Hull (64/64). Grimsby registry closed.
29.12.1922: Ernest William Little, Bridlington designated manager.
19.1.1923: Re-measured 71.18g 33.74n as per Board of Trade Survey at Hull dated 15.1.1923.
28.1.1923: Registered at Hull (H777).
15.2.1923: Re-measured 27.86n as per Board of Trade Survey at Hull dated 13.2.1923.
24.9.1924: Sold to Frank Andrew Peterson (64/64), Grimsby. 6.10.1924: Peter M. Peterson, Hessle designated manager.
12.2.1925: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
1928: Seasonal fishing out of Fleetwood.
25.5.1928: Typical landing 18 boxes.
6.6.1928: Typical landing 15 boxes.
20.7.1929: Mortgage (A) discharged.
20.7.1929: Sold to Basil Arthur Parkes (64/64), Blackpool.
30.7.1929: Basil Arthur Parkes designated managing owner.
10.1930: Sold to French principals.
8.10.1930: Hull registry closed “ Sold foreign – French principals ”.

Changelog
05/03/2019: Page published.
08/03/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Ebor Court LL56

Seasonal visitor
Additional information courtesy of David Slinger and Andy Hall

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4483
Official Number: 136085
Yard Number: 313
As built: 360disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 feet
Gross Tonnage: 275.56
Net Tonnage: 115
Length: 125.4 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields

History

1919: Launched by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons Ltd, South Shields (Yd.No.313)(“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM DRAKE (Ad.No.4483).
4.4.1919: Advertised for sale by tender.
10.4.1919: Tenders closed. Sold to Charles W. Robinson, Middlesbrough.
19.5.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
13.6.1919: Registered at Middlesbrough (Part I & IV) as EBOR COURT O.N.136085 (MH40). Charles W. Robinson designated managing owner. 1920: Sold to Harley & Miller Ltd, Liverpool. Alfred J. Harley, Meols designated manager.
1923: Charles C. Miller designated manager.
1926: Middlesbrough registry closed.
3.8.1926: Registered at Liverpool (LL56).
1928: Fishing out of Fleetwood.
6.6.1928: Landed 150 boxes.
10.10.1928: Landed 94 boxes.
12.1928: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby.
17.12.1928: Liverpool registry closed.
12.1928: Registered at Swansea as CAREW CASTLE (SA91). Sir John D. Marsden, Bart, Grimsby designated manager. Fishing out of Swansea.
31.10.1929: Homeward from the fishing grounds (Sk. Boyce); eleven crew, in company with RADNOR CASTLE (SA56). Entering a fog bank in the Bristol Channel, stranded on rocks near Culver Hole west of Port Eynon Point, Gower Peninsula, approx 18 miles west of Swansea. Badly holed and engine room flooded, RADNOR CASTLE stood by and on the falling tide crew able to walk ashore.
1.11.1929: Tug in attendance, if weather holds expected to be salved. Crew picked up by tug and landed at Swansea.
02.11.1929: Efforts to refloat unsuccessful.
15.11.1929: In rough weather washed further onto rocks and efforts to salve abandoned. Swansea registry closed.

(William Drake (29), Landsman (volunteer), age 29, b.Isle of Wight – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB50))

Changelog
04/03/2019: Page published.

S.D/T. Girls Friend LT171

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3925
Official Number: 137721
Yard Number: 64
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 96.71
Net Tonnage: 38
Length: 85.8 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Engine: 270ihp T.3-cyl by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (Eng.No.134)
Boiler: Ross & Duncan, Govan

History

10.1918: Launched by John Lewis & Sons Ltd, Torry, Aberdeen (Yd.No.64) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as MURK.
9.11.1918: Ran trials.
11.11.1918; Completed as a minesweeper (Ad.No.3925).
13.11.1918: Delivered.
10.1920: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London.
1921: Sold to A. G. Roe, Ramsgate. Fitted for trawling.
25.11.1921: Registered at Ramsgate (Part I & IV) as MURK O.N.137721 (R345).
1922: Sold to Colis Durrant, Lowestoft.
12.7.1922: Registered at Lowestoft (LT171). Colis Durrant designated managing owner.
2.8.1922: Registered at Lowestoft as GIRLS FRIEND (LT171) (RGS M 25244).
c3.1928: Seasonal white fish trawling out of Fleetwood.
31.5.1928: Typical landing 30 boxes.
22.6.1928: Returned to Fleetwood to to pick up new fishing gear having come fast when fishing off the Kish Bank, Co. Dublin coast.
Efforts to free the trawl failed when the trawl warps parted and the gear valued at about £80 was lost.
1930s: Seasonal white fish trawling out of Padstow & Fleetwood.
1937: Sold to A. Duthie, Peterhead.
7.4.1937: Lowestoft registry closed.
21.4.1937: Registered at Peterhead (PD243).
9.6.1937: Registered at Peterhead as TRUST (PD243). John Duthie Jnr designated managing owner.
1939: Ownership transferred to Representatives of John Duthie Jnr, Peterhead.
9.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service on transport duties (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
11.1940: Employed as an A/S drifter.
1941: Sold to Alexander Hay & others, Aberdeen.
16.12.1945: Returned to owners.
1954: Sold to William Strachan, Peterhead.
4.1954: Broken up. Peterhead registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Girls Friend LT171

S.D/T. Girls Friend LT171
Picture courtesy of The Robert Durrant Collection

Changelog

08/02/2019: Page published.
21/03/2019: Information updated.
22/03/2019: Added an image.

S.L. Ebenezer WA80 (Occasional Visitor)

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall

Technical

Official Number: 99651
Yard Number: 41
Completed: 1893
Gross Tonnage: 83.95
Net Tonnage: 30.12
Length: 86.3 Ft
Breadth: 19.4 ft
Depth 9.8 ft
Built: Marr Bros, Leith
Engine: C.2-cyl and boiler by Clyne, Mitchell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

15.6.1893: Launched by Mrs W. H. Dodds, wife of owner at Marr Bros, Leith (Yd.No.41) as a liner for William Hall Dodds, Aberdeen as EBENEZER.
8.1893: Completed.
30.8.1893: Registered at Aberdeen (A715). William Hall Dodds designated managing owner. Fishing out of Aberdeen as a liner (Sk.W. Buthlay).
9.1897: Sold to John Edward Rushworth, Grimsby.
10.9.1897: Registered at Grimsby (GY417). John Edward Rushworth designated manager.
11.9.1897: Aberdeen registry closed.
5.1899: Sold to Hamilton Dixon, Whitehaven.
8.5.1899: Grimsby Registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (3/1899) (WA80). Hamilton Dixon designated managing owner.
10.1903: Sold to Sweden.
28.10.1903: Whitehaven registry closed.

Changelog
24/12/2018: Page published.

S.T. Albatross LL184

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and George Westwood

Occasional visitor

Technical

Official Number: 82958
Gross Tonnage: 123
Completed: 1882
Net Tonnage: 84
Length: 101.0 ft
Breadth: 19.0 ft
Depth: 10.3 ft
Built: W. Walker & Co, Deptford
Engine: C.2-cyl by W. J. Lockhead & Co, Glasgow

History

11.1882: Launched by W. Walker & Co, Deptford (Yd.No.) for Robert Middleton (64/64), Leeds, as ALBATROSS.
9.2.1883: Registered at Scarborough (SH37) (Sk.George Bowles). Robert Middleton designated managing owner.
17.2.1883: Completed.
6.11.1884: Owned by Robert Middleton & Stephen Todd Holdroyd, Leeds; Joseph Henry Holdroyd, Leeds and Thos Allen, York.
13.11.1884: Owned by Robert Middleton & Stephen Todd Holdroyd, Leeds; Joseph Henry Holdroyd, Leeds: Thos Allen, York: Wm Holdroyd, Scarborough and William Arthur Mallinson, Leeds. Robert Middleton designated managing owner.
12.11.1884: Owned by Robert Middleton & Stephen Todd Holdroyd, Leeds; Joseph Henry Holdroyd, Leeds; Thos Allen, York; Wm Holdroyd, Scarborough; William Arthur Mallinson, Leeds and William Mallinson (7/64), Huddersfield.
31.12.1884: Owned by Robert Middleton & Stephen Todd Holdroyd, Leeds; Joseph Henry Holdroyd, Leeds; Thos Allen, York; Wm Holdroyd, Scarborough; William Arthur Mallinson, Leeds; William Mallinson (7/64), Huddersfield and Henry Lambie Woodger (6/64), Scarborough.
29.4.1887: Henry L. Woodger shares (6/64) sold to William Woodger, Newcastle.
23.4.1888: At the Mercantile Marine Office, before Mr Cumberland, Collector of Customs, George Reynolds, cook, sued the skipper for wrongful dismissal. On 19th last Reynolds was discharged and the skipper refused to pay him his wages. After hearing evidence Mr Cumberland made an order of 9/4d.
28.11.1888: Ran into Fish Quay at Hartlepool doing considerable damage.
10.3.1891: Sailed Scarborough at 4.30 am. for the fishing grounds. Disabled after boiler manhole cover blew off and lost steam. Returned to Scarborough under sail.
26.4.1892: Sold to George Rookin Nicholson (64/64), Liverpool.
16.5.1892: Scarborough registry closed.
5.1892: Extensive alterations and overhaul. New steam winch by Messrs Rogers & Co, Stockton, new side rollers, dandy scores, raised forward and iron bulwarks fitted all round. New masts and sails. Total cost £800.
5.1892: Registered at Liverpool (LL184).
1892: Sold to “Albatross” Steam Ship Co Ltd (64/64), Liverpool. Henry H. Grayson, Birkenhead designated manager.
18.3.1893: Advertised for sale in the Aberdeen Journal by Frederick Aspinall, Liverpool. Vessel is fully found in every respect with new 200 fathom 3.5” steel wire warps and two full and complete sets of fishing gear. Presently fishing out of Aberdeen.
9.1893: Sold to Robert Knox (64/64), Douglas, IoM.
10.1893: Liverpool registry closed.
2.10.1893: Registered at Douglas (DO246). Robert Knox designated managing owner.
6.11.1894: Trawling off the Bahama Bank (Sk. Edward Shimmin); eight crew in total, in company with LADY LOCH (DO20) (Sk. William Shimmin) some half mile apart. In the early hours about 1.00am. with the skipper at the helm, observed the lights of a steamer bearing down on them. Sounded the steam whistle but unable to manoeuvre with the trawl down. Struck amidships and almost cut in two by the L&Y and L&NWR steamer DUKE of CLARENCE (1489grt/1892), Belfast for Fleetwood and foundered quickly. The skipper gained the forecastle of the steamer by way of the funnel stays and two men were picked up from the water, by boats from the DUKE of CLARENCE. LADY LOCH closed the scene and started to search for other survivors, joined later by steamers MANX QUEEN (989grt/1880) and DUKE of YORK (1473grt/1894). After three hours the search was abandoned; five crewmen unaccounted for, believed drowned. Survivors landed by DUKE of CLARENCE at Fleetwood.
17.11.1894: Douglas registry closed. Wreck lies 9.5 miles SE of Ramsey.
2.1895: In the Admiralty Court a claim for damages in lieu of the loss was heard. The findings were that the master of the DUKE of CLARENCE was at fault in that he failed to post adequate lookouts and disregarded the numerous fishing vessels, some thirty in number, on the fishing grounds. Damages were agreed and John Knox received an undisclosed sum. (ALBATROSS was valued at £2,000 but insured for £12,000). The families of the lost crewmen received: Widows of William Dougherty, Henry Hudson and Richard Gregg – £300 each; the families of Hudson and Gregg received £150 each; the seven children of Dougherty received £250; the father of John Leadbetter received £250.

Lost: William Dougherty, Mate; Henry Hudson, Ch Eng; John Leadbetter and Richard Gregg, Deckhands and Charles Shimmin, nephew of the skipper, son of skipper of Lady Loch, Fireman.
Survivors: Sk. E. Shimmin, R. Kelly, 2nd Eng and Thomas Lawrence.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Albatross SH37

S.T. Albatross SH37
Picture from The George Scales Collection courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

Changelog

24/11/2018: Page published.
27/11/2018: Image added. Information updated.
13/06/2019: Information updated.