S.T. Gladys (2) FD423

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3613
Official Number: 143963
Yard Number: 358
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 306
Net Tonnage: 116
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.2 feet
Engine: 600ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

Ordered by Standard Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as the SANNYRION purchased by The Admiralty on the stocks.
10.2.1917: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.358) (non-standard “Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN ARTHUR (Ad.No.3613).
14.6.1917: Completed (1-12pdr, Hydrophone).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) O.N.143963.
1919: Engaged in commercial trawling on an opportunity basis.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
03.02.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO299).
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
05.1921: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
1.1923: Sold to Fleetwood Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (George E. J. Moody, Grimsby, manager).
19.1.1923: London registry closed.
19.1.1923: Registered at Fleetwood (FD423).
22.2.1923: Registered at Fleetwood as GLADYS (FD423).
1926: Sir George E. J. Moody appointed manager.
25.4.1932: Arrived Fleetwood from St. Kilda ground in tow of FLORENCE BRIERLEY (FD105) having damaged propeller.
1938: Will B. Moody, Grimsby appointed manager. William Moody Kelly, Fleetwood, managing agent.
29.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (Hire rate £83.8.4d/month).
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
1944: Based at Fort William (D. MacBrayne Ltd, Glasgow, agents).
1946: Laid up at Fort William.
16.4.1947: Advertised for sale by tender and open for inspection. Not to be resold within two years.
24.4.1947: Tenders closed.
1947: Sold to Jones Buckie Shipyard Ltd, Larbert, Stirlingshire.
1947: Registered at Buckie as THE BRUCE (BCK179).
1949: Sold to Joseph Croan, Newhaven, Edinburgh.
Post 6.1949: Buckie registry closed. Registered at Leith (LH21).
6.1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to G. & W. Brunton, Grangemouth for breaking up.
6.1960: Delivered Grangemouth.
28.6.1961: Breaking up commenced.
(John Arthur, Landsman (prest), age 22, b. London, age 22 – VICTORY (SB544))

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Gladys FD423

S.T. Gladys FD423
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Gladys FD423

S.T. Gladys FD423
Picture from The Osta Collection

Changelog
21/01/2008: Page published. 3 updates since then.
15/07/2015: Information updated.
08/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.


Hit Counter provided by criminal attorney Orange County
Fight Spam! Click Here!