Tag Archives: Heward Trawlers

S.T. Bridlington FD145

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 133460
Yard Number: 561
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 205
Net Tonnage: 82 (75)
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 300ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

7.7.1913: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.561) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as BRIDLINGTON.
1.9.1913: Registered at Hull (H1009).
1.9.1913: Joseph Vivian appointed manager.
24.9.1913: Completed.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
13.5.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton appointed manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson appointed manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees). 1935: Insured value £2,650.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: At Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up (Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, London appointed liquidators).
3.2.1937: Sold by the mortgagee under mortgage(A) to Heward Trawlers Ltd (64/64), London (Robert Scott Hewett & Harold Frank Hayward).
17.2.1937: Hull registry closed.
17.2.1937: Robert S. Hewett, London appointed manager.
19.2.1937: Registered at London (LO194). Refurbished.
11.3.1937: Arrived Fleetwood from Hull.
11.5.1943: Typical wartime landing. 368 kits – hake-184, cod/codling-30, haddock-10, whiting-37, flats-7, ling/coley-28, roker-10, gurnard-7, dogs-55. 1948: Sold to Fern Leaf Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William Newton, manager).
1954: London registry closed. Registered at Fleetwood (FD145).
1956: Sold for breaking up in The Netherlands.
17(7?).9.1956: Arrived Dordrecht from Fleetwood under own power. Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Bridlington FD145

S.T. Bridlington FD145
Picture courtesy of the late Alan Hirst

Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
18/01/2017: Removed disputed image.
03/10/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Jamaica LO186

Technical

Official Number: 136220
Yard Number: 617
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 205
Net Tonnage: 77
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

4.11.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.617) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as JAMAICA.
21.12.1914: Registered at Hull (H216).
31.12.1914: Completed (Joseph Vivian, manager).
2.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a hydrophone tender (Ad.No.1666). Based Granton.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (Charles H. Emerson, manager) in voluntary liquidation.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, manager).
29.12.1936: Hull registry closed.
31.12.1936: Registered at London (LO186). Refurbished. Fishing from Fleetwood.
29.3.1944: Last landing at Fleetwood prior to being requisitioned for war service. Renamed ALL HALLOWS (Hire rate not recorded). Fitted out as a smoke making trawler and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
9.6.1944: Arrived Mulberry A from Yarmouth with Group A1. Employed smoke making with replenishment at Portland.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
11.10.1944: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
3.1945: Returned after restoration and survey at Fleetwood. Reverted to JAMAICA (LO186).
1959: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
14.8.1959: Delivered Barrow-in-Furness from Fleetwood under own power.
9.1959: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Jamaica LO186

S.T. Jamaica LO186

S.T. Jamaica LO186

S.T. Jamaica LO186

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
27/01/2017: Removed disputed image.

S.T. Toronto LO196

Technical

Official Number: 136223
Yard Number: 618
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 205
Net Tonnage: 77
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: 55hp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

19.11.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.618) for Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Hull as TORONTO.
12.1.1915: Registered at Hull (H218).
1.1915: Completed (Joseph Vivian, manager).
3.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3335). Based Portland.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward). Refurbished.
03.02.1937 Transferred to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager)
17.2.1937: Hull registry closed.
19.2.1937: Registered at London (LO196).
20.5.1937: First landing at Fleetwood, 69 boxes grossed £116.
15.8.1949: At anchor 3 miles off Fleetwood in Lune Deeps (Sk. W. Randles). Weighed and proceeded but fouled anchor cable of trawler St. JUST (LO434) which wound itself round propeller and fractured
17.8.1949: Anchored by the propeller, freed by BR hopper Preesall (572grt/1912) which using creep located anchor and burnt off to free. Towed to Wyre Dock and later slipped and chain removed; no damage to stern gear.
1954: Sold to Rosalind Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William H. Cheadle, Blackpool, manager).
18.4.1960: Stranded north coast of Isle of Skye but managed to refloat.
19.4.1960: Arrived Portree, Isle of Skye leaking badly. Temporary repairs for single voyage to Fleetwood. On return found to be beyond economical repair.
5.1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
5.5.1960: Sailed Fleetwood for Preston.
13.5.1960: Delivered Preston.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Toronto LO196

S.T. Toronto LO196

S.T. Toronto LO196

S.T. Toronto LO196
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

S.T. Toronto LO196

S.T. Toronto LO196

S.T. Toronto LO196

Anchor chain round propeller
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 8 updates since then.
11/04/2017: Image added and FMHT watermark removed.

S.T. Junco LO200

Technical

Official Number: 139324
Yard Number: 182
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 191
Net Tonnage: 72
Length: 110.2 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole

History

12.1917: Completed by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.182) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd, Hull (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers) as JUNCO.
27.12.1917: Registered at Hull (H587).
1.1918: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out for minesweeping duties (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1657). Based Portsmouth.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull (John Slater, London, manager).
22.10.1925: Robert Burton appointed manager.
11.12.1929: On North Sea grounds, SW gale, George Rodgers, Mate and Thomas Atkinson (22), deckhand washed overboard and drowned.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson appointed manager.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
3.1936: Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd in voluntary liquidation.
1936: Fleet sold en bloc to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, Fleetwood, manager) (About £800 for this vessel). Refurbished.
29.4.1937: Hull registry closed.
30.4.1937: Registered at London (LO200).
.12.1940: Requisitioned for war service and employed on harbour defence duties (Hire rate £55.14.2d/month).
3.1941: Fitted out for anti submarine duties (P.No.FY.1830).
1944: Employed target towing.
5.1946: Returned and fishing out of Lowestoft.
10.1957: Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Junco LO200

S.T. Junco LO200
Picture courtesy of Robert Hewett

S.T. Junco LO200

S.T. Junco LO200
Picture courtesy of Robert Hewett

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
25/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427

Technical

Official Number: 162210
Yard Number: 1098
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 379
Net Tonnage: 140
Length: 150.5 ft
Breadth: 25.5 ft
Depth: 13.1 ft
Engine: 96 hp T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

8.11.1930: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1098) for Yorkshire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as BEACHFLOWER.
12.12.1930: Registered at Hull (H349).
15.12.1930: Completed (Albert Turgoose & James Clark, managers).
17.4.1934: Arrested for alleged unlawful fishery inside Norwegian territorial waters (Sk. Norton).
6.7.1934: In court at Vardoe, Norway, Sk. Norton was found “Guilty” and fined 5,000 kroner.
9.1935: As a result of the Abyssinian crisis and failure of British diplomacy, the Government authorised The Admiralty to procure twenty modern trawlers for conversion to minor war vessels.
11.1935: Following successful trials sold to The Admiralty.
8.11.1935: Hull registry closed. Fitted out as a “Berberis” class minesweeper. Renamed HMS LILAC (P.No. T.26).
23.5.1944: Assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings. Assigned PLUTO (Pipe Line Under The Sea) project.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
1946: Sold to Great Northern Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (Robert S. Hewett, manager).
11.1946: Restored and reclassed at Fleetwood after return. Registered at London as ROBERT HEWETT (LO427).
1948: On Icelandic grounds. Connected to motor trawler ALLAN WATER (H420) disabled with engine problems. Repairs subsequently effected and tow slipped.
1955: Sold to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London & Fleetwood (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward) (Robert S. Hewett, manager).
11.1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
18.11.1960: Sailed Fleetwood for Preston.
18.11.1960: Delivered.
1960: London registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

HMT Lilac

HMT Lilac

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427

HMT Lilac

HMT Lilac

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427 as HMT Beachflower

HMT Lilac

HMT Lilac

HMT Lilac
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Robert Hewitt LO427

S.T. Robert Hewitt LO427
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427

S.T. Robert Hewett LO427
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Changelog
19/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
03/06/2017: Removed disputed images and FMHT watermarks.