Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson
Official Number: 136213
Yard Number: 591
Gross Tonnage: 235
Net Tonnage: 92
Length: 112 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesborough
Engine: 70bhp T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood Ltd, Glasgow
Boiler: Richardsons, Westgarth & Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
7.9.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.591) for Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as ESHER.
4.11.1914: Registered at Hull (H163). William R. Nowell designated manager.
20.4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.1754). Based Egypt.
7.3.1918: Sold to The Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
30.3.1918: Joseph Vivian designated manager.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
13.5.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
22.10.1925: Robert Burton designated manager.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson designated manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (Joint mortgagees).
1935: Insured value £2,800.
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: At Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up (Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, London appointed liquidators).
3.2.1937: Sold by order of the mortgagees under mortgage (A) to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (Robert Scott Hewett & Harold Frank Hayward).
17.2.1937: Robert Scott Hewett designated manager.
17.2.1937: Hull registry closed.
19.2.1937: Registered at London (LO193).
6.3.1937: Arrived Fleetwood from Hull.
21.11.1939: About 2 miles off Tory Island, picked up twelve crew of steam trawler THOMAS HANKINS (LO372) sunk by U-boat (U.33) and landed them at Moville, Co. Donegal.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Hire rate £62.13.4d/month).
6.2.1940: Returned to owner.
1.5.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters. 249 kits – hake-32, cod/codling-27, haddock-12, whiting-9, flats-15, ling/coley-58, roker-23, gurnard-15, dogs-58.
2.1952: Sold to Devotion Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
2.1952: London registry closed.
6.2.1952: Registered at Aberdeen (A700). Alexander Hay designated manager.
3.1957: Sold for breaking up at Antwerp.
21.3.1957: Aberdeen registry closed
Click to enlarge images
19/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
23/01/2017: Removed disputed image.
17/07/2020: Updated information.