Official Number: 162200
Yard Number: 552
Gross Tonnage: 377
Net Tonnage: 158
Length: 145 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: 96nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C D Holmes
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 11.2 knots
(In 1935 the Hull trawler LEONIDAS (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken)
23.8.1930: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.552) for Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as St. JUST.
19.9.1930: Registered at Hull (H320).
23.9.1930: Completed. Charles F. Foster designated manager.
1932: William H. Paterson designated manager.
24.8.1934: The Supreme Court in Oslo, upheld the fine of 5,000kr for illegal fishing inside the four mile limit off the Norwegian coast.
1936: Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull and ships sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil A. Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager.
29.8.1938: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 158.2 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re measured 394g 176n.
25.7.1939: Insured value £18,000.
14.8.1939: Sailed Hull for Bear Island (Sk. A. Lewis).
30.8.1939: At Hull landed 993 kits grossed £808.
1939: To requisitioning, at Hull landed from Bear Island/Iceland/Norway Coast (Sks. T. Kane, H. Fletcher, Arthur Lewis), 219 days 15,255 kits £11,375 gross.
9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.673) (Hire rate £215.4.1d/month). Renamed FIREFLY. Based Leith.
3.2.1940: Sailed Leith to recover and de-activate loose British moored mines in Firth of Forth (Lieut. David B. Johnstone RNR). With a mine alongside attended by boat party, a passing destroyer set the boat in motion and one of the oars touched and detonated the mine. Thirteen crewmen* were killed including the CO and a similar number wounded. Badly damaged but remained afloat and taken in tow by HM Trawler WARDOUR (GY523) (P.No.FY581) for Leith. Repaired and returned to service. Based Yarmouth (Ty Sk. J. W. Gibbs RNR) with M/S Group 30.
15.9.1940: Based Sheerness with M/S Group 30.
1.1941: At Sheerness (Ty Sk. E. A. Runnquist RNR).
1943: Based Harwich with M/S Group 30.
31.8.1943: Sold to Heward Trawlers Ltd, London (R. S. Hewett & H. F. Hayward). Robert S. Hewett, London designated manager.
10.1945: Restored and surveyed at Port Glasgow and reverted to St. JUST (H320).
1946: Hull registry closed.
1946: Registered at London (LO434). Fishing out of Fleetwood.
15.8.1949: At anchor 3 miles off Fleetwood in Lune Deeps. Steam trawler TORONTO (LO196) (Sk. W. Randles) weighed and proceed but fouled anchor cable of St. JUST which wound itself round propeller. Cable fractured and proceeded to Wyre Dock.
1961: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Cork for breaking up.
27.2.1960: Sailed Fleetwood for Cork.
1.3.1961: Delivered Passage West.
1961: London registry closed.
Lost*: – Ty. Lt. David B Johnstone RNVR; Ty.S/Lt. Carl Dobson RNVR; Ty.S/Lt. Norman F. Peat RNVR; Ty.S/Lt. Geoffrey W. Vaughan RNVR; CPO Charles E. Baldwin; Benjamin R. Barker, Engineman; Henry E. Beavers, John R. Clay, Peter Reid, Alexander Stewart, James Stewart, Seamen; Walter E. Johnson, Seaman cook.
5.2.1940: Edward Barker, 2nd Hand, died of wounds.
Click to enlarge image
14/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
16/02/2017: Removed disputed images.
17/08/2017: Added an image.
17/11/2018: Updated information.
13/12/2018: Added an image.