Tag Archives: Dewsland Trawlers Ltd

S.T. Dewsland FD64

Technical

Official Number: 127405
Yard Number: 421
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 236
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 120 ft
Breadth: 21.7 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 70HP T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Son, Selby

History

24.9.1907: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.421) for William Jenkins & Isaac J. Jenkins, Milford Haven and James Hier, Neyland as DEWSLAND.
19.11.1907: Completed.
28.11.1907: Registered at Milford (M220) (William Jenkins managing owner).
11.12.1913: Manouvering in dock at Milford damaged stern, bulwarks and mizzen boom.
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.2664).
2.6.1915 Off Scilly Isles, picked up ten crew members of DELTA B (O171) sunk by U34 and landed them at St. Mary’s.
1919: Returned to owner.
10.4.1919: Sold to Maurice Wilkins & George Moreland, Manchester (c/o Joseph A. Taylor, Fleetwood, manager).
1.1921: Transferred to Aberdeen (Sam Isaacs (Aberdeen) Ltd, managers) on charter to Bookless Brothers, Aberdeen to operate from Hafnarfjordur, Iceland, ‘salting’.
6.1921: Returned.
15.3.1923: Sold to Gerald Kelton, Dunsfold, Surrey (William F. Goodwin, Grimsby, manager).
11.1925: Sold to John Wm. A. Potts & Lars J. Larsen, Fleetwood (trading as Ples Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William A. Stonebanks, manager)).
6.11.1925: Milford registry closed.
9.11.1925: Registered at Fleetwood (FD64).
12.2.1927: In dense fog stranded in Wyre channel.
1928: Trading as Dewsland Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William A. Stonebanks, manager).
27.10.1933: Fishing off Tiree on hauling in gale force winds trawl became entangled with propeller. Put in to Oban.
28.10.1933: Divers cleared propeller. Sailed Oban but shortly afterwards steam pipe fractured and returned to Oban for repair.
16.11.1933: Sold to Stanley Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Rochdale (James Brierley, Rochdale, manager).
31.3.1937: Sold to G. Rollinson & Co Ltd, Manchester.
31.3.1937: Sold to Alexander Keay, Fleetwood.
31.1.1941: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £6500.
13.6.1944: Sold to Hull Merchants Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd, Hull for £12000.
5.7.1944: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.7.1944: Registered at Hull (H84).
24.12.1945: Registered at Hull as DERNA (H84).
24.11.1947: Sold to East African Fisheries Ltd, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanganyika Territory (Charles C. Johnston, London, agent).
29.6.1951: Sold to Harold G. Lewis, Mombasa, Kenya.
29.06.1951: Sold to Harold G. Lewis, Mombasa, Kenya.
22.8.1951: Sold to Lamer Line Ltd. Mombasa (Harold G. Lewis, manager). Used as cargo vessel between Mombasa and Tanga.
22.7.1954: Grounded on Niule Reef outside Tanga with cargo of petrol in cans.
27.8.1954: Salved and towed into Tanga for discharge.
30.8.1954: Towed to Mombasa.
14.9.1954: Sank at moorings at Mtongwe, Mombasa. No salvage attempted and abandoned.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dewsland FD64

S.T. Dewsland FD64
Picture courtesy of RossallBeach

S.T. Dewsland FD64 as Derna

S.T. Derna H84
Picture courtesy of Ally (shipsnostalgia)

S.T. Derna H84

S.T. Derna H84
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Derna H84

S.T. Derna H84
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
09/09/2014: Fourth picture added.
10/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Princess Louise FD365

Stranding information courtesy of Laurence H Dettman

Technical

Official Number: 121084
Yard Number: 83
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 289
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 133.3 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: 70nhp T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

31.8.1905: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.83) for Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as PRINCESS LOUISE.
19.10.1905: Registered at Hull (H837).
10.1905: Completed (George T. Armitage, manager).
27.1.1909: In thick fog in the Humber estuary in collision with the steamer WHITBY ABBEY and both vessels damaged.
15.11.1913: Sailed Hull for White Sea grounds off the coast of Lapland (Sk. Hermann Dettman) (2nd hand George Henry Batty); twelve crew total.
23.12.1913: Left fishing grounds off Sem Islands for home picking up a Norway coast pilot at Honningsvåg.
25.12.1913: Called Gibostad to obtain medical assistance for the skipper suffering from an acute bowel disorder.
27.12.1913: Arrived Lødingen and dropped pilot setting course for Vest Fjord. When in vicinity of Lødingen Light shortly after 4.30am. the skipper was again indisposed and had to leave the wheelhouse telling the second hand the course to steer. On his return there was an exchange concerning the course and shortly afterwards the vessel struck heavily amidships and again aft and heeled to starboard and came fast. Endeavoured to free the vessel by working the engines but ingress of water into the stokehold was rapid; fires were drawn. Crew abandoned and vessel settled by the stern. Picked up by Norwegian coastal steamer and landed at Svolvaer. Skipper and Chief Engineer proceeded to Lødingen and took passage in the salvage steamer that was to attend the wreck which was lying in 10fms to the west of Root Var with some chance of salvage. Crew returned to Hull via Bergen.
6.3.1914: Hull registry closed “Vessel lost”. *
30.9.1914: Having been salved and returned to Hull, repaired and re-registered at Hull (H140).
3.11.1914: Returned to service and transferred to Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (George T. Armitage, Hull, manager).
2.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1176).
14.5.1915: Registered at Hull as PRINCESS LOUISE II (H140). Based Milford Haven.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
1920: Sold to Thomas H. Smith, Fleetwood (managing owner).
15.1.1920: Hull registry closed.
16.1.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD365).
2.6.1921: Sold to James W. Armitage, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1.9.1922: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James W. Armitage, manager).
1926: Sold to Cie Belge de Pecheries Maritimes, Ostend.
1926: Re measured (Belgian Rules) 277g 100n 133.6 feet
5.8.1926: Fleetwood registry closed.
3.1926: Registered at Ostend as PASTOOR PYPE (O176).
1929: Sold to Dewsland Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William A. Stonebanks, manager).
11.1929: Ostend registry closed.
1929: Re measured (BoT) 289g 115n 133.6 feet.
18.11.1929: Registered at Fleetwood (FD58).
28.11.1929: Registered at Fleetwood as DANELAND (FD58).
1935: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Marr, manager).
8.2.1935: Mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London.
Pre 8.1938: Laid up at Fleetwood.
6.4.1941: Sunk by German aircraft 30 miles N by 1/2 W of Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim; twelve crew rescued.
6.6.1941: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by enemy aircraft 6/4/41”.

(Note* – Following BoT Inquiry at Hull the findings were published on 24.3.1914 concluding that;
“The stranding of, and serious damage to, the steam trawler Princess Louis was caused by the wrongful act and default of the skipper and of the second hand. As the skipper on the early morning in question was suffering for very severe indisposition, as he bears an exceptionally good character and as he gave his evidence with absolute straightforwardness the Court suspends his ticket (No.6483) for three months only from the date herof. The Court suspends the certificate (No.10696) of the second hand, who in his evidence displayed both ignorance and indifference and did not adequately assist the skipper, at a time when he most needed it, for a like period.”)

BOT Stranding Report

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Daneland FD58

S.T. Daneland FD58
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

S.T. Princess Louise H837

S.T. Princess Louise H837
Picture courtesy of the James Cullen Collection

Changelog
12/04/2014: Picture added.
08/10/2014: Picture added.
21/09/2015: Stranding information added.
04/11/2015: Posted BOT stranding report.
19/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.