Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 129379
Yard Number: 367
Gross Tonnage: 247
Net Tonnage: 91
Length: 120.3 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: David Rowan & Co, Glasgow
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen, 1912
17.2.1912: Launched by Mrs George Shepherd, Aberdeen at John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.367) for John Gilbert Smith, Fleetwood as RATAPIKO.
14.3.1912: Registered at Aberdeen (A446). John Gilbert Smith designated managing owner.
27.1.1914: At Aberdeen Sheriff Court, John Taylor, ship painter, was fined 10/- with alternative of five days imprisonment for stealing a tin of fat from the ship on 18 or 19 January.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.347). Based Granton as an armed trawler.
19.9.1916: Detached on Special Service using name LENNARD.
7.10.1916: Hartlepool steamer JUPITER (2124grt/1901) stopped by U-boat (UB27) 40 miles NE by E from Longstone whilst on passage Archangel-Hull with timber. Scuttled but failed to sink.
8.10.1916: Connected and commenced tow to Firth of Forth until relieved by tugs and trawlers.
16.3.1917: An award was made in the Admiralty Court of £280 to the four crewmen who boarded the steamer JUPITER and the other crew members were awarded £322.
30.1.1918: Escorting Convoy T.M.15 in thick fog, at 1915 stranded on Longstone.
3.2.1918: Salvage underway but hampered by bad weather.
11.2.1918: Refloated and taken in tow by tug for Blyth.
21.4.1918: Returned after repairs on Tyne.
22.4.1918: Operating as a decoy trawler (using name St. GEORGE (SN49)) towing/and in company with HM S/M C.24 .
11.11.1918: Reverted to armed trawler.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1919: Sold to The Stepney Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Scarborough.
23.2.1920: Aberdeen registry closed.
27.2.1920: Registered at Scarborough (SH221). Abraham Moore designated manager.
2.9.1920: Converted to cargo. Re-measured 256.50g 99.47n.
2.9.1920: Scarborough Part IV registry closed. Registered as a cargo vessel. W. Aiston, Scarborough, designated manager (Winch removed and placed in MAGNOLIA (SH160)).
1.12.1920: Arrived Burntisland with broken glass from London via Blyth.
22.12.1920: Arrived Littlehampton from Newlyn with stone.
24.12.1920: Paid off. John George, Penzance,2nd Eng and James Mooney, Dundee, cook remained onboard.
26.12.1920: Smoke was seen coming from the vessel, Mooney was found asleep in the charthouse and after the fire was extinguished the body of John George was found in the cabin. A medical examination found that he died of suffocation.
28.12.1920: At the inquest of John George held at Littlehampton, the jury found that death was due to extensive burns, accidentally sustained. James Mooney, the cook, stated that they returned onboard on Christmas night and the deceased refused to allow him to sleep in the cabin and struck him over the head with a bottle. He made his way to the charthouse and remembered nothing until roused by the police.
31.1.1921: Arrived Grangemouth from London with cement.
22.2.1921: Arrived Aberdeen from Seaham with coals.
27.2.1921: Arrived Montrose, light, to load potatoes.
1.3.1921: Sailed for Cowes in company with the former trawlers, STAR of THE ORIENT (222g/1904) and the STAR of ENGLAND (220g/1912) all with potatoes.
31.7.1922: Sold to The Co-operative Steam Fishing Ltd, Scarborough. Christopher Naylor designated manager.
14.10.1923: Arrived Penzance chartered for Isles of Scilly service while PENINNIS (224g/1904) undergoing survey.
28.10.1924: Arrived Penzance chartered for Isles of Scilly service while Peninnis (224g/1904) undergoing survey.
12.1925: Surveyed at Hamburg.
11.1.1926: Sold to Thomas Harrison Scales, Newhaven, Edinburgh.
29.1.1926: Converted back to fishing. Re-measured 246.54g 90.41n.
29.1.1926: Registered at Scarborough Part IV (SH39) after conversion back to fishing. Thomas Harrison Scales designated managing owner.
10.8.1926: Due to continuing strike action by British coal-miners, arrived Leith from IJmuiden with coals.
14.10.1926: Due to continuing strike action by British coal-miners, arrived Leith from Terneuzen with coals.
1935: Change of address, Thomas H. Scales, Leith designated managing owner.
2.12.1929: Stranded on Mitchell’s Baa off Lerwick, Shetland, refloated with no damage.
1931: New boiler.
1934: Sold to Thomas H. Scales & Son, Newhaven, Edinburgh.
1936: Company re-styled, T. H. Scales & Sons Ltd, Newhaven, Edinburgh. Thomas H. Scales, Jnr designated manager.
4.4.1935: Scarborough registry closed.
16.4.1935: Registered at Leith (LH86).
2.7.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1878) (Hire rate £61.15.0d/month).
1.1942: Based Granton M/S Group 153.
12.1945: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to I. C. Macfarlane, ??.
1946: Sold to Kelvin Trawlers Ltd, Glasgow (Aberdeen). Registered at Leith as KELVINGROVE (LH86) and operating as a carrier for fish & liver oil.
1948: Returned to fishing.
1952: Sold to Heather Fishing Co Ltd, Newhaven, Edinburgh T. H. Scales & Sons Ltd designated managers.
1954: Sold to William Liston, Edinburgh. William Liston designated managing owner.
1956: Sold to BISCO (£4,150) and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd, Charlestown, Fife for breaking up (Contract No.3E).
14.5.1956: Delivered Charlestown from Granton under own power.
7.1956: Breaking up commenced.
7.1956: Leith registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
04/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
02/06/2018: Information updated. Added an image.