FD 111, Harriet, is the only surviving example of the sailing smacks that fished from Fleetwood. Converted to motor power, she survived over 100 years before being abandoned in the Duddon Estuary. The first picture shows her as originally built and the other two after she had been converted to motor and fitted with gallows for a trawl.
Official Number: 89709
Gross Tonnage: 42
Net Tonnage: 21
Length: 60.1 ft
Breadth: 16.8 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Built: Singleton Brothers, Fleetwood
Ketch – trawling
1893: Completed by Singleton Brothers, Fleetwood for Henry Leadbetter, 44 Kent St, Fleetwood (Richard Leadbetter, manager) as HARRIET.
2.10.1893: Registered at Fleetwood (FD111).
5.12.1905: Sold to Henry Leadbetter & William Leadbetter, Fleetwood
Pre 1924: Sold to Mark Leadbetter, 36 Belmont Road, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1930: Converted to auxiliary motor remeasured 42g 21n.
19.3.1930: Re-registered at Fleetwood as auxiliary motor.
1937: Owner David Helm, Fleetwood.
194?: Sold to George W. Fletcher, 22 Whinfield Ave, Fleetwood.
1948: Owner David Helm, Fleetwood & George Fletcher, Fleetwood.
1978: Ceased fishing. Sold to Mrs Josephine Barner, Little Langdale, Cumbria. Converted and moored at Millom as a hostel.
2005(?): Sold to Fleetwood Museum for restoration.
2008: Behind Museum awaiting restoration.
Built as a sister smack to MARGARET
Last sailing trawler to operate from Fleetwood.
Click to enlarge images
28/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
02/06/2016: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.