Admiralty Number: 3678
Official Number: 146933
Yard Number: 358
Gross Tonnage: 277
Net Tonnage: 109
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: Fraser & Chalmers, Erith
Built: Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley
10.5.1918: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley (Yd.No.358) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JAMES DINTON (Ad.No.3678).
29.5.1918: Completed (1 – 12pdr, hydrophone and W/T).
1922: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Boston (F. Parkes, Wyberton, Boston, manager). Registered at Boston as SCAWBY (BN187).
23.9.1925: Homeward encountered thick fog and struck the Ness of Duncansby. Refloated with the help of local fisherman and returned to Boston. Survey revealed extensive bottom damage; repaired and returned to service.
1926: Transferred to Grimsby (Fred Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
1926: Transferred to Fleetwood.
6.1929: Sold to McRae Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven (John McR. Knight, manager).
5.1930 Boston registry closed.
28.6.1929: Registered at Milford (M19).
22.7.1929: Registered at Milford as LILY McRAE (M19).
11.1936: Sold to Milford Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven Harry E. Rees, manager).
25.11.1936: Registered at Milford as MILFORD DUKE (M19).
19.9.1938: James C. Ward appointed manager.
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z.125) (Hire rate £83.2.0d/month).
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
3.4.1945: Milford registry closed.
3.1946: Laid up C&M at Inverness.
1948: Sold to Manor Steamship Co Ltd, Milford Haven (Reginald L. Hancock, manager).
9.1948: Restored and reclassed at Milford Haven.
6.9.1948: Registered at Milford as MANOR (M301).
31.1.1951: Sailed Milford for South-West Ireland grounds (Sk. R. Robson).
4.2.1951: Dodging about 40 miles west of Bull Rock in increasingly severe weather; bunkers shifted, shipped heavy seas and part wheelhouse carried away, wireless and compass inoperative. Made contact with GROSMONT CASTLE (SA77) which came alongside and then escorted to Berehaven, Co Cork, dodging the weather all the way.
11.2.1951: Sailed Berehaven for Milford after effecting temporary repairs.
11.1951: Sold to Ashley Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John Wood, manager).
8.11.1951: Milford registry closed.
11.1951: Registered at Aberdeen (A691).
6.1959: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Malcolm Brechin, Granton for breaking up.
23.7.1959: Arrived Granton from Aberdeen under own power.
(James Dinton (aka Denton), OS, age 24, b. London – VICTORY (SB74))
Click to enlarge images
04/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
12/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.