S.T. Sedock GY123

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger & Andy Hall


Admiralty Number: 4496
Official Number: 144386
Yard Number: 1330
Completed: 1919
As built: 310.7disp 115.0 x 22.0 x 13.0 feet
Gross Tonnage: 202.44
Net Tonnage: 76.75
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Rennie Forrestt Shipbuilding, Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, Wivenhoe
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl by A. G. Mumford & Co, Colchester
Boiler by Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees


1919: Launched by Rennie Forrestt Shipbuilding, Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, Wivenhoe (Yd.No.1330) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as PATRICK DIVINE (Ad.No.4496).
04.1919: Offered for sale by tender, to be completed as a fishing vessel.
10.04.1919: Tenders closed at 12.00 noon.
1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as PATRICK DIVINE O.N.144386.
11.12.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel ex fishing gear. Initially landing at Gt. Yarmouth. Harry F. Eastick managing agent.
17.02.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO323).
By 18.06.1920: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
12.1921: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby.
2.12.1921: London registry closed.
12.12.1921: Registered at Grimsby (GY1332). John D. Marsden designated manager.
18.2.1922: Registered at Grimsby as YOLANDA (GY1332).
29.6.1927: Owners re-styled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd. Sir John D. Marsden Bart designated manager.
11.1929: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.
21.11.1929: Grimsby registry closed.
22.11.1929: Registered at Hull (H133). George Altoft designated manager.
2.1934: Sold to The Shields Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, North Shields.
17.2.1934: Hull registry closed.
26.2.1934: Registered at North Shields (SN12). Thomas S. Reid designated manager.
6.7.1935: Registered at North Shields as SEDOCK (SN12).
17.11.1936: Returned to North Shields from the fishing grounds with stem damage sustained while fishing alongside the steam trawler BEN GLAS (SN 336). The latter was struck by a huge breaking sea causing her to fall heavily on to the Sedock. After landing, taken to Shields Engineering & Dry Docks Ltd for survey and repair.
11.11.1938: At Tynemouth Magistrates Court, Charles John Andrews (31), Mate, North Shields was charged with stealing 32 lemon soles from the trawler, the property of The Shields Engineering and Dry Dock Co., on October 27. Andrews admitted the offence with provocation. He had gone into the locker for his ‘fry’ and saw a bag containing the fish. He took them, considering that he had more right, being only on a deckhands wages and took them ashore to sell. However, Isaac Parkinson, employed by the North-East Coast Fishing Vessel Owner’s Association saw him and alerted the police. In fining him 40s it was stated that stealing fish was a serious offence and the police were doing everything to stop it. As a result of the case Andrews was dismissed from the ship.
2.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service and designated for minesweeping duties (Hire rate £65.13.0d/month).
2.1940: Returned to owner.
9.3.1940: Fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal in company with ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786) and PELAGOS (GN55) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. Group approached by U-boat (U.38) which fired a single round at a trawler, hitting her in the engine room and she subsequently sank. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the trawler probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
12.05.1940: While lying in Aberdeen, smoke was seen coming from the trawler. The Fire Brigade was called and manage to get the fire under control. In the cabin they found the body of Henry Johnston (34), North Shields, the 2nd Eng, who had been asleep in his bunk. The fire had damaged much of the cabin and stairway. The seat of the fire was traced to the starboard bunker where a quantity of coal was on fire. At the mortuary it was concluded that Johnston had died from smoke inhalation.
21.3.1941: Sold to Harold J. Richards, Milford Haven.
27.05.1941: At Newcastle County Court, Judge Richardson awarded £300 compensation to the three dependents of Henry Johnson, North Shields, who died from injuries sustained in a fire which broke out on the trawler last May. Applicants were the three children of deceased, Terence, Lillian Maud and Henry, their claim was against the owners of the trawler, Shields Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, North Shields. Giving reserved judgment for applicants, with costs against the respondent company, Judge Richardson held that Johnson’s death arose out of and in the course of his employment as second engineer on the trawler. Stay of execution was granted pending notice of appeal.
10.08.1941: Sold to Pair Fishing Company Limited, Milford Haven. Harold J. Richards designated manager.
6.3.1942: Last landing at Milford.
18.03.1942: Sold to Parkholme Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys designated manager.
1942: Landing at Fleetwood.
28.4.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters. 285 kits – hake-70, haddock-85, ling/coley-115, gurnard-5, dogs-10.
8.1943: Sk. Reginald King (38) of Fleetwood died at sea from injuries sustained when working the trawl. He was caught up in the messenger rope and thrown overboard. King was dead when picked up from the sea and his body was taken to a Scottish port for an inquiry to be held.
20.01.1944: Owned by National Provincial Bank Ltd, London.
1944/45: Landing at Fleetwood.
2.1945: Sold to Derwent Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby.
14.3.1945: At Fleetwood landed 100 boxes.
25.10.1945: North Shields registry closed.
10.1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY123). Harvey W. Wilson designated manager.
8.1951: Sold to John C. Llewellin (Trawlers) Ltd, Milford Haven.
8.1951: Grimsby registry closed.
14.8.1951: Registered at Milford (M173). John Charles Llewellin designated manager.
30.8.1951: Sold to North Eastern Trawlers Ltd, London. John C. Llewellin designated manager.
11.1951: Sold to Derry Trawling Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
14.11.1951: Milford registry closed.
16.11.1951: Registered at Aberdeen (A692). David Wood designated manager.
17.12.1951: Registered at Aberdeen as STRATHGAIRN (A692) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1332/51 dated 8.12.1951).
13.05.1954: Fishing some 10 miles SE of Aberdeen, disabled with broken her tail shaft. Steam trawler LOCH HOURNE (A502) responded to distress, connected and delivered safely to Aberdeen.
3.2.1956: At Aberdeen Sheriff Court, Menzies Watt (59), Aberdeen was fined £2 and ordered to pay 30/- costs for failing to sail on the trawler.
27.2.1956: At Aberdeen Sheriff Court, G. Walker (30), Aberdeen, cook, was fined £3 for failing to sail on the trawler on 12 December 1955.
13.2.1959: Sold to Bruce’s Stores (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen.
7.1959: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
21.7.1959: Delivered Bruges.
21.8.1959: Aberdeen registry closed “Sold to Foreigners (Belgian subjects).”

(Patrick Divine, OS, age 20, b. Co. Kildare – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB619))

Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomasson (28), Fleetwood & Dublin; William Donnelly, Blackpool, Mate; P. J. Scanlon, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alexander McLeod, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan, Fleetwood & Dublin & Anthony Pill, Fleetwood & Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17), Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) Fleetwood & Dublin & Robert Sumler (16), Fleetwood & Dublin, apprentices

04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
05/08/2016: Information updated.
15/12/2016: Information added.
02/08/2021: Added crew information.
19/09/2021: Updated history and technical details.