Official Number: 148224
Yard Number: ??
Gross Tonnage: 271
Net Tonnage: 122
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Built: Kingston Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Kingston, Ontario
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by National Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Goderich, Ontario.
1918: Launched by Kingston Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Kingston, Ontario (Yd.No. – ) (Canadian “Castle” – T.R.” class) for The Admiralty (paid for and built under direction of RCN) as TR.20.
31.8.1918: Completed by Collingwood Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Collingwood, Ontario (Yd. No.-) and commissioned in the Royal Canadian Navy (1-12pdr).
14.1.1919: Paid off and laid up.
1920: Accepted offer of Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd, Inverness (Captain D. J. Munro as agent) to bring drifters with trawlers as escorts to UK for lay-up in Muirtown Basin, Caledonian Canal, Inverness prior to sale and possible refit for classification as steam trawlers (The Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd letter dated 12 April 1920).
1921: Brought over at The Admiralty’s expense.
1.1926: Still laid up.
2.1926: Rejected offer for all remaining trawlers at £2,000 each (B. Allenby, Aberdeen letter dated 10 Feb 1926).
8.1926: Sold “as is” to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby (Fred Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
22.9.1926: Registered at Fleetwood as SEVILLE (FD135).
1928: Sold to Red Funnel Fisheries Ltd, Sydney, NSW.
3.9.1928: Registered at Fleetwood as DURRAWEEN (FD135).
15.9.1928: Sailed Fleetwood for Sydney in company with GOOLGWAI (FD117).
12.1928: Arrived Sydney, NSW after 92 day passage, which included stranding when calling at the Cocos Islands, Indian Ocean.
29.12.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
1930: Registered at Sydney, NSW.
1933: Owners re-styled Red Funnel Trawlers Ltd, Sydney, NSW.
28.12.1937: In collision with steamer WANGANELLA (9576grt/1932) near Montague Island, NSW. Sustained damage to bows, but with WANGANELLA, damaged amidships, proceeded to Sydney; no casualties.
29.7.1940: Requisitioned for war service by Royal Australian Navy and fitted out at Williamstown as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-20mm Oerlikon, 1-0.303 Vickers MG) (P.No.FY.93).
1940: Based Port Melbourne, Vic with M/S Group 54.
11.1940: Sweeping in Bass Strait with others swept 43 mines mines off Wilson’s Promontary (laid by German auxiliary cruiser PENGUIN and auxiliary minelayer PASSAT).
8.1944: Joined TU 70.5.2 surveying Torres Strait.
1.11.1945: Paid off and laid up.
10.1946: Returned after survey and restoration at Sydney.
1952: Sold for breaking up at Blackwattle Bay, Sydney, NSW.
Click to enlarge image
04/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
27/04/2014: Updated information.
28/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.