Additional information courtesy of David Slinger
Official Number: 139325
Yard Number: 183
Gross Tonnage: 191.05
Net Tonnage: 72.11
Length: 110.2 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 12.0 ft
Built; Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole
Engine: 300ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
1917: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.183) for Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Hull as SHAMA.
3.4.1918: Registered at Hull (H641). John Slater, London designated manager.
19.4.1918: Requisitioned from the builders and fitted out as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.3083) . Commissioned (Sk. Harry L. Lang RNR). Based Dover.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
7.6.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A). John Slater designated manager.
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
28.9.1928: Robert Burton designated manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson designated manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (64/64 joint mortgagees).
3.1936: Combined boxing and trawling fleet of Kelsall Bros. & Beeching Ltd and the Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd consisting of 59 vessels laid up at Hull (declining catches, coal bill and increased maintenance costs had made the venture uneconomical).
6.3.1936: At Extraordinary General Meeting at Hull, Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd placed in Creditors’ Voluntary Winding-up. Richard Field Helm of Messrs Hodgson Harris & Co, London appointed liquidators.
3.12.1936: By order of the mortgagees under mortgage (A) sold to Herman Westenborg; Mark Mansfield Robson; Edwin King & Constance Gwendoline Richards, Milford Haven (joint owners). Herman Westenborg appointed manager.
8.1.1937: Hull registry closed.
11.1.1937: Registered at Milford (M223).
7.4.1937: Sailed Milford (Sk. Bert Foster) in company with TRUMPETER (H1020) (Sk. J. King) to carry out trials with the Spanish Pareja pair trawling method.
15.4.1937: The pair landed 220kits grossed £550, mostly hake.
6.10.1938: At anchor in Dale Bay, struck by steam trawler RUDILAIS (M50) causing some damage.
5.10.1939: Sold to Herman Westenborg & Mark M. Robson, Milford Haven (joint owners) (Herman Westenborg, manager).
5.12.1940: Sold to Westenborg Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven (Herman Westenborg, manager).
28.1.1941: Requisitioned for war service and employed on miscellaneous naval duties (Hire rate £57.6.0d/month).
5.1.1942: Returned to owner.
2.12.1942: Sold to Wyre Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. J. N. Ward & Son designated managers.
22.6.1943: Typical wartime landing – 186 kits – hake-48, cod/coley-16, whiting-13, flats-6, ling/coley-52, roker-12, gurnard-8, dogs-21.
4.4.1945: Sold to Pair Fishing Co Ltd, Milford Haven. Henry J. Richards designated manager.
5.12.1946: Sold to George Jappy, Alexander M. Morrice & William P. Clarke, Aberdeen (joint owners).
12.12.1946: Milford registry closed.
16.12.1946: Registered at Aberdeen (A246).
14.10.1948: Sold to George Jappy, William P. Clarke, Jane Allan Ritchie or Morrice & George Dinnir(?), Aberdeen.
2.2.1953: Sold to Malcolm Smith Ltd & George Jappy, Aberdeen. Malcolm Smith designated manager.
11.4.1955: Sold to Charles F. Graham, Aberdeen. Charles F. Graham designated managing owner.
26.5.1955: Registered at Aberdeen as DANESTON (A246) (MoT minute RSS2/1/3468 dated 6th May 1955).
1956: Sold for breaking up.
18.8.1956: Aberdeen registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
26/08/2018: Information updated.
12/07/2020: Added an image and updated information.