S.T. Walwyns Castle LO231


Official Number: 128945
Yard Number: 537
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 225
Net Tonnage: 100
Length: 125 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough


2.8.1913: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.537) for The Castle Steam Trawlers Ltd, Swansea as WALWYNS CASTLE.
19.9.1913: Completed (Crawford Heron, manager).
19.9.1913: Registered at Swansea (SA9).
8.11.1914: Mortgaged to De Eerste Nederlandsche Scheepsverband Maatschappij, Dordrecht. (A).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service.
28.5.1915: Commissioned.
29.5.1915: Arrived Falmouth. Fitted out for auxiliary patrol duties (Ad.No.1774). Northern Patrol.
12.6.1918: Transferred from Northern Patrol to Devonport.
1.7.1918: Sailed Devonport for Falmouth.
6.7.1918: Sailed Falmouth escorting Convoy O.F.42 to Mediterranean. Based Malta.
22.10.1918: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby (John D. Marsden, manager).
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull, then continued to fish from Swansea
12.1919: On a trip to Irish grounds.
30.12.1919: When some 150 miles west of Lundy came upon a disabled motor boat with five men onboard. Men were only survivors of eighteen onboard the American six masted schooner ELEANOR A. PERCY (3.401grt/1900), cargo grain, Rio de Janeiro for Copenhagen, which had foundered on 26.12.1919 in approximate position 48.30N 17.45W after springing a leak.
31.12.1919: Survivors landed at Swansea.
3.2.1919: Mortgage discharged (A).
27.11.1923: Mortgaged to London Joint City & Merchants Bank Ltd, London (B).
29.6.1927: Owners re-styled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (Sir John D. Marsden, manager).
14.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out at Sharpness for minesweeping duties (P.No.FY.866)(Hire rate £65.17.6d/month) (Sk. J. McLeman RNR). Based Stornoway. 15.5.1942: Mortgage discharged (B).
6.1942: Sold to The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (Robert H. Hewett, manager).
10.6.1942: Swansea registry closed.
12.6.1942: Registered at London (LO231).
3.1946: Returned.
3.1946: Sold to BISCO and allocated to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
25.3.1946: Delivered Troon.
1946: London registry closed.

08/01/2009: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
21/08/2014: Information updated.