Admitalty Number: 3669.
Official Number: 144279
Yard Number: 349
As built: 360disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 feet
Gross Tonnage: 276
Net Tonnage: 105
LengthL 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley
17.11.1917: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley (Yd.No.349) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM CUMMINS(Ad.No.3669).
29.11.1917: Completed as a minesweeper (1-12pdr).
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
13.8.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
24.8.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I & IV) O.N.144279 (LO454).
11.1920: At HM Dockyard, Portsmouth fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Portsmouth.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
10.1922: Advertised for sale.
11.1924: Sold to Société Anonyme Armement Ostendais, Ostend.
5.11.1924: London registry closed.
11.1924: Registered at Ostend as ERNEST SOLVAY (O160).
11.1929: Landing at Fleetwood.
1939: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
21.4.1939: Registered at Hull as NIBLICK (H80).
1940: Fishing from Fleetwood.
3.6.1940: At Hull last landing before requisitioning. Faroe trip, 16 days – 431kits £880 gross.
5.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Hire rate £80.10.0d/month).
10.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
4.1944: Fitted out as a dan layer and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Attached to the 15th Minesweeping Flotilla as a dan layer.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
8.1945: Returned after survey and restoration at Liverpool.
7.1945: Sold to The Wyre Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd, managers).
26.7.1945: Registered at Fleetwood (FD77).
4.12.1948: Registered at Fleetwood as WYRE COLONEL (FD77).
1954: Transferred to Wyre Trawlers Ltd (Leslie Wheildon, manager) on purchase of Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd by Associated Fisheries Group.
1956: Sold to Hammond Lane Foundry Ltd, Dublin for breaking up.
11.12.1956: Arrived Dublin from Fleetwood under own power.
25.1.1957: Fleetwood registry closed.
(William Cummins, Private, Marine, age ?, b. ? – VICTORY (ML108))
Click to enlarge images
24/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
28/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
25/06/2021: Updated history and technical details.