Admiralty Number: 4417
Official Number: 144316
Yard Number: 644
Gross Tonnage: 203
Net Tonnage: 88
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
9.10.1918: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.644) (“Strath” Class) for The Admiralty as THOMAS BARCLAY (Ad.No.4417).
31.10.1918: Completed unarmed.
7.1.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as THOMAS BARCLAY O.N.144316.
1920: Allocated to the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
13.8.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
8.1920: At Wivenoe completed fitting out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Wivenhoe.
24.08.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO444). Laid up.
11.1921: Sold to Harry Alexander Holmes, Aberdeen.
7.11.1921: London registry closed.
22.11.1921: Registered at Aberdeen (A786).
30.12.1921: Registered at Aberdeen as JOHN MORRICE (A786) (BoT Minute No.36595 dated 23.12.1921).
30.1.1929: Sold to George Dow Taylor, Alexander Malcolm Morrice, Margaret Morrice, John Morrice & Mary Morrice, Aberdeen (Alexander M. Morrice, managing owner).
28.5.1937: Landed at Fleetwood 240 boxes ‘rock lined’, £345 gross.
27.6.1938: Sold to George D. Taylor, Alexander Malcolm Morrice, John Morrice, Mary Jane Hardie Morrice, James Johnstone & William Davidson, Aberdeen (H. A. Holmes, manager).
28.3.1940: Sold to North Star Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John A. Harrow, manager).
1940: Fishing from Fleetwood.
9.3.1940: Fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal in company with ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); PELAGOS (GN55) and SEDOCK (SN12) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. Group approached by U-boat (U.38) which fired a single round at a trawler, hitting her in the engineroom and sinking her. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the trawler probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
6.1940: Slipped at Fleetwood.
1942: Returned to Aberdeen.
9.2.1946: Sold to The River Ness Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (George Craig, manager).
7.9.1955: Company re-styled River Ness Fishing Co (1955) Ltd.
23.2.1959: Sold to John Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen for breaking up at Montrose.
9.1959: Sold to Atlantic Rhederei F. & W. Joch, Hamburg.
4.10.1959: Delivered Hamburg for breaking up.
8.10.1959: Aberdeen registry closed “ Vessel sold to foreigners (German subjects)”.
Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomason (28), Fleetwood & Dublin; William Donnelly, Blackpool, Mate; P. J. Scanlon, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alexander McLeod, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan, Fleetwood & Dublin & Anthony Pill, Fleetwood & Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17), Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) Fleetwood & Dublin & Robert Sumler (16), Fleetwood & Dublin, apprentices
Click to enlarge image
12/08/2010: Page published. 8 updates since then.
11/09/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
27/02/2021: Updated history and technical details.