S.T. Kingsway – GY37

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 118940
Yard Number: 62
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 210.89
Net Tonnage: 76.26
Length: 115.4
Breadth: 21.6
Depth: 11.5 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull

History

9.11.1904: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.62) for Alick Black (32/64) and Walter Olney (32/64) both Grimsby as KINGSWAY.
11.1.1905: Builder’s Certificate issued.
13.1.1905: Completed.
13.1.1905: Registered at Grimsby (GY37).
13.1.1905: Alick Black designated managing owner.
25.2.1905: Alick Black shares (32/64) and Walter Olney shares (32/64) mortgaged to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln. (A) & (B) respectively.
29.1.1907: Mortgage (A) discharged.
31.1.1907: Alick Black shares (32/64) mortgaged to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, Grimsby (C). 9.9.1908: Mortgage (C) discharged.
9.9.1908: Alick Black shares (32/64) sold to Alfred William Baxter (32/64), Grimsby.
9.9.1908: Alfred William Baxter shares (32/64) mortgaged to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, Grimsby (D).
11.8.1908: Alick Black appointed manager.
7.4.1909: Mortgage (B) discharged.
24.5.1909: Walter Olney shares (16/64) sold to Albert John Wright (16/64), Grimsby.
24.5.1909: Walter Olney shares (16/64) sold to John Lawrance Green (16/64), Grimsby.
8.6.1909: Albert John Wright shares (16/64) mortgaged to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, Grimsby (E).
12.6.1909: Alick Black appointed manager.
18.5.1910: Mortgage (D) discharged.
18.5.1910: Alfred William Baxter shares (16/64) sold to John Edgar Harrison (16/64), Grimsby.
18.5.1910: John Edgar Harrison shares (16/64) mortgaged to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, London (F).
1.6.1910: John Lawrance Green shares (16/64) mortgaged to Stamford, Spalding & Boston Banking Co Ltd, Stamford (G).
14.6.1910: Alfred William Baxter shares (16/64) mortgaged to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, London (H).
10.11.1911: Mortgage (G) discharged (Stamford, Spalding & Boston Banking Co Ltd in liquidation).
10.11.1911: John Lawrance Green shares (16/64) sold to Alick Black (16/64), Grimsby.
5.12.1911: Alick Black shares (16/64) mortgaged to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, London (I).
14.7.1912: Alick Black designated managing owner.
25.2.1913: Mortgage (H) discharged.
26.2.1913: Alfred William Baxter shares (16/64) sold to Alick Black (32/64), Grimsby.
27.2.1913: Mortgage (I) discharged.
28.2.1913: Alick Black shares (32/64) mortgaged to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, London (J).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 82.85 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1.4.1914: Mortgages (E0, (F) & (J) discharged.
2.4.1914: John Edgar Harrison shares (16/64) and Alick Black shares (32/64) sold to The Strand Steam Fishing Co Ltd (48/64), Grimsby.
8.4.1914: Albert John Wright shares (16/64) sold to The Strand Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
8.4.1914: Henry Croft Baker appointed manager.
8.4.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The National Provincial Bank of England Ltd, London (K).
8.4.1914: Mortgagee (K) re-styled The National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd, London.
12.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence trawler (1-3pdr). Based Kirkwall.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
15.2.1924: Mortgagee (K) re-styled National Provincial Bank Ltd, London.
26.10.1929: Mortgage (K) discharged.
28.10.1929: Sold to Samuel Chapman Snr, Samuel Chapman Jnr, Fred Chapman and Benjamin Chapman all Grimsby (64/64 joint owners).
4.11.1929: Samuel Chapman Jnr designated managing owner.
20.4.1931: Sold to Charles Dobson (64/64), Grimsby.
28.9.1932: Charles Dobson designated managing owner.
29.9.1937: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (L).
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Hire rate £52.15.0d/month).
5.2.1940: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
26.3.1941: When some 10 miles E of Bell Rock, bombed and damaged by German aircraft.
5.11.1941: Mortgage (L) discharged.
24.12.1941: Sold to The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
7.1.1942: Leslie James Marr, Thornton-le-Fylde appointed manager.
1942/3: Occasional landings at Fleetwood from Iceland grounds.
26.6.1943: Typical landing, 790 boxes – 50 cod, 550 haddock, 50 flats, 100 coley, 20 cats, 20 bream.
22.9.1943: Sold to Richard Cammish, Robert Cammish, Matthew Cammish all Filey and Sk. James Heritage, Scarborough (64/64 joint owners).
1.10.1943: Richard Cammish Jnr designated managing owner.
24.5.1945: James Heritage died.
7.12.1950: Richard Cammish, Robert Cammish and Matthew Cammish (64/64 joint owners).
17.1.1951: Richard Cammish, Scarborough appointed manager. Last skipper Jim “Batn’er down” Crawford.
5.1954: Sold to BISCO and allocated to J. J. King & Co Ltd, Gateshead for breaking up.
18.6.1954: Grimsby registry closed. “Vessel broken up, …”. See memo from BISCO (Salvage) Ltd dated 17.6.1954.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Kingsway GY37

S.T. Kingsway GY37
Builders certificate courtesy of Bill Blow

S.T. Kingsway GY37

S.T. Kingsway GY37
Picture courtesy of George Westwood

S.T. Kingsway GY37

S.T. Kingsway GY37
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

S.T. Kingsway GY37

S.T. Kingsway GY37
Picture courtesy of George Westwood

S.T. Kingsway GY37

S.T. Kingsway GY37
Picture courtesy of George Westwood

S.T. kingsway GY37

S.T. kingsway GY37
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Kingsway GY37

S.T. Kingsway GY37
Scrap certificate courtesy of Bill Blow

Changelog
01/11/2015: Page published.
14/11/2015: Added two pictures.
16/11/2015: Added another picture.
07/04/2016: Significant information update. 2 certificate pictures added.
07/04/2016: Picture added.
19/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks.