S.T. Kitty (1) – A819

Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm, Andy Hall and George Westwood


Official Number: 106545
Yard Number: 365
Gross Tonnage: 135.31
Net Tonnage: 33.31
length: 96.9 ft
Breadth: 20.15 ft
Depth: 11.80 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: 320ihp C.2-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen


6.1897: Completed by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.365) for Frederick James Brown, Grimsby and Thomas Henry Lundy, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners) as KITTY.
31.5.1897: Registered at Aberdeen (A819). Landing mainly into Grimsby and Aberdeen.
12.12.1897: Alongside Commercial Wharf, Aberdeen. George Kite (36), fisherman, fell 25ft into the graving dock, his fall broken by 2ft of water in the dock bottom. Attended for severely cut head.
22.9.1898: Sold to Thomas Henry Lundy and William Hall Dodds, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners). Thomas H. Lundy designated managing owner.
3.11.1898: At Aberdeen landed from a Faroe trip, five ling, total weight 322lbs; the largest 86lbs.
1.12.1898: Sailed for Faroe grounds (Sk. Tyvold).
13.12.1898: Arrived Aberdeen and reported loss of crewman John Hales (23), Grimsby, washed overboard in heavy seas on 6th December.
17.10.1899: At Aberdeen with one other liner landed a total of 11 tons.
27.3.1903: At Aberdeen, Sk. John Morrice reported that he had called at St. Kilda and noted that there was a scarcity of clothing and boots amongst the islanders. Through the kindness of W. H. Dodds & Co, clothing, mails etc will be made up for delivery to St Kilda on the next trip.
29.3.1903: Sailed Aberdeen for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. John Morrice), weather permitting the goods and mails to be landed at Hirta.
16.9.1903: Arrived Aberdeen. Sk Morrice reported that during the trip they had again called at St. Kilda with mails and goods, anchoring in Village Bay, Hirta and remained there for three days, delayed by strong winds. He found the islanders in the best of health and was very impressed by their hospitality. On Sunday he and several crew members attended divine service and the minister paid them the courtesy of delivering the latter part of his sermon in English. There was however much discontent in that the islanders had refused to pay the tax in kind, on cattle and sheep numbers, etc and were much in arrears. As a result the owner, Sir Reginald MacLeod of MacLeod, through his agent, had indicated that he would not supply the regular consignment of oatmeal at the end of the year. When Sk. Morrice stated that he would return to the islands at a later date, he was given a list of purchases to be made on their behalf.
5.6.1905: Arrived in Aberdeen and reported loss of the boat in the recent gale in the West of Scotland.
19.3.1907: Sold to James Strachan Milne, Aberdeen. James S. Milne designated managing owner.
19.5.1909: At Fleetwood landed 260 boxes, 50 halibut.
1.7.1909: At Fleetwood landed 50 boxes, 300 halibut.
22.11.1909: At Fleetwood landed 20 boxes, 230 halibut.
8.8.1910: At Fleetwood landed 98 boxes, 130 halibut.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 49.48 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
27.2.1914: Sold to William Alexander Leith and John Walker (64/64 joint owners), Aberdeen. William A. Leith designated managing owner.
19.1.1917: Sold to John Sheriff Ellis, Scarborough.
28.2.1917: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.3.1917: Registered at Scarborough (SH290).
12.3.1917: Sold to Alliance Steam Trawling Co, Scarborough.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
4.6.1919: Sold to John Henry Waite, Scarborough/Winterton-on-Sea. John Henry Waite designated managing owner.
21.1.1920: Sold to Harry F. Eastick, Gt. Yarmouth, James William Powley, Caister-on-Sea and William Thomas Pipe, Lowestoft.
14.2.1920: Scarborough registry closed.
16.2.1920: Registered at Yarmouth (YH250). James W, Powley designated managing owner. Trawling, working short trips landing into Yarmouth.
26.8.1920: Landed 15 tons of fish. Prices remained at high levels.
1.1.1921: Landed a 3ft, 3st sturgeon. Bought by Mr Neville Clarke as a gift for the King and left Yarmouth on the Saturday morning train for Sandringham.
26.1.1922: Landed under 400 stone, comprising (stones), 203 plaice, 33 prime, 50 whiting, 30 roker, 13 cod and 15 codling, etc.
3.2.1922: Landed 65 stone, made up of 4 prime, 15 plaice, 15 roker, 23 whiting and some cod and codling, etc.
27.2.1922: Landed a sturgeon weighing 15lbs, purchased by Mr Robert Beazor.
6.9.1922: Landed 628 stone.
11.1.1923: On the Fish Wharf, Gt. Yarmouth offered for sale Without Reserve by Norford Suffling Ltd on behalf of Messrs H. F. Eastick and J. Powley who are dissolving partnership. Vessel has been extremely well kept having recently had new wooden decks, new funnel and ventilators, boiler re-tubed, new condenser tubes, plates and brass ferrules, bunker side and stoke hole plates renewed. In 1922 tail end withdrawn, crank shaft lifted and engine thoroughly adjusted. Trawl winches in first class condition and can work 300 fathoms of wire on each drum. Bunkers will stow 55 tons of coal. Now trawling from Yarmouth and will be sold “as from sea” with full trawling outfit and usual inventory of sea-going stores. No person requiring a handy-sized vessel for trawling, seining or lining should miss this chance of buying at absolute Market Value Only.
11.1.1923: Sold to Newton, Sons & Co Ltd, Sunderland for the sum of £1,323.
13.1.1923: Yarmouth registry closed.
1.1923. Registered at Sunderland (SD276). Benjamin L. Newton designated manager. Landing into North Shields and Sunderland.
9.4.1923: At North Shields, landed a fair supply.
18.7.1925: At North Shields, landed, but with 450 boxes and 30 score on the market prices were only moderate.
24.7.1925: Homeward from the fishing grounds in dense fog, stranded on the belt of rocks between Whitburn and Roker, known as the Bents. Signals of distress alerted the Life Saving crew but their services were not required as the vessel was in no danger. Tugs attended but because it was low water services could not be rendered. Came afloat on next tide and berthed at North Shields.
1928: Sold to John H. Irvin, Tynemouth.
7.2.1931: In the morning outwards from North Shields for the fishing grounds. The steam trawler CHAMPION (HL37) (Sk. T. Gibbs, North Shields), also outwards, in going astern to avoid the KITTY took the ground at the end of the Groyne, South Shields. Came afloat on the afternoon tide and proceeded to Clelland’s, Willington Quay slipway for survey.
1931: Broken up. Sunderland registry closed.

20/11/2021: Page published.
25/11/2021: Updated information.