Tag Archives: Jigger Smack

sv Amethyst – FD107


Official Number: 68626
Completed: 1873
Gross Tonnage: 34.91
Net tonnage : 24
Length: 56.9 ft
Breadth: 16.1 ft
Depth: 7.95 ft
Rig: Jigger Smack – trawling, drifting & lining
Built: Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton


4.2.1873: Launched by Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton for Nicholas Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others as AMETHYST.
1873: Completed.
16.8.1873: Registered at Fleetwood (FD107).
4.11.1875: At Whitehaven in company with, CONFIDENCE (FD121), PETREL (FD59) and SPRAY (LR??). Attempted to leave harbour. Informed by Mr Dawson, collector of dues, that they could not leave until harbour dues paid. As they refused to pay the harbour tug was moored across the entrance to prevent them leaving. CONFIDENCE and PETREL skippers decided to pay, but AMETHYST and SPRAY continued their attempt to leave, one of the crew of SPRAY cut the tug’s head ropes and AMETHYST fell foul of the tug, smashing her boat. Boarded by harbour master and mainsails confiscated.
6.11.1875: Skippers attended at the office of the solicitors to the Harbour Trustees and consented to pay all dues, damages and costs. Sails returned and allowed to sail.
1881: Census at Fleetwood – Thomas Thomason (39), b-Fleetwood, master; John Ainsworth (40), b-Preesall, AB; William Abram (32), b-Banks, AB; Thomas Leadbetter (17), b-Fleetwood, AB; James Wright (16), b-Southport, cook.
1888: Owned by Nicholas & William Leadbetter.
26.11.1889: Sold to Nicholas Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others.
15.8.1890: Reported that during the week lost all gear when trawling on the fishing grounds.
3.9.1908: Sold to Walter Daniel Cowman & William Cowman, 15 King St, Whitehaven.
4.9.1908: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (1/1908).
1.1.1920: Owned by Walter Daniel Cowman, 15 King Street, Whitehaven (managing owner).
Pre 1924: Sold to David J. Drysdale, Cloughey, Co. Down (managing owner).
14.1.1924: Whitehaven registry closed. Her remains lay for many years in Castleward Bay, Strangford Lough just below Castle Ward, the seat of Lord and Lady Bangor, and there may still be some pieces remaining.

05/01/2009: Page published.
24/10/2014: Information updated.
05/07/2016: Information updated.
25/11/2018: Information updated.
09/10/2021: Updated information.