Official Number: 109078
Yard Number: 207a
Gross Tonnage: 183
Net Tonnage: 66
Length: 111.7 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
1.9.1898: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.207A) for George Walton, Hull (managing owner) as ROYALIST.
31.10.1898: Registered at Hull (H428).
9.11.1899: Off the Skaw arrested for alleged illegal fishing in Danish territorial waters. At Frederikshavn whole crew arrested and master charged with running down in Onunder Fjord, Iceland on 9.10.1899, a boat which had been sent out to arrest him for alleged fishing within the three mile limit: three men drowned.
20.1.1900: Trial concluded with guilty verdict on both charges. Sk. C. A. Nielsson sentenced to one years imprisonment; the mate Holmgren to ten days hard labour; the cook Rugaard, a Dane, to thirty days hard labour. Skipper also fined 3,200 kroner for illegal fishing in Icelandic (Danish) and Danish waters.
5.9.1901: Sold to The Dublin Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Dublin (A. Richardson, manager).
18.8.1902: Hull registry closed.
8.1902: Registered at Dublin (D206).
1913: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 74net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
7.1917: Sold to George Frederick Sleight, Grimsby (managing owner).
7.1917: Dublin registry closed.
31.7.1917: Registered at Grimsby (GY1090).
8.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
30.11.1920: Sold to Andrew Walker, Aberdeen (managing owner).
13.12.1920: Grimsby registry closed.
22.12.1920: Registered at Aberdeen (A498).
30.12.1927: Sold to The Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Thomas Walker, manager).
26.11.1929: Sold to Robert S. Hewett, London (managing owner).
21.11.1929: Aberdeen registry closed.
29.11.1929: Registered at London (LO17). Fishing from Fleetwood.
30.5.1930: Sold to The Hewett Fishing Co Ltd, London (Robert S. Hewett, manager).
1935: Sold for for breaking up.
29.11.1935: London registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
S.T. Royalist LO71
Picture courtesy of The Philip Dell Collection
28/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
28/03/2015: Information updated.
01/09/2015: Updated information.
05/07/2020: Updated information and added an image.
Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Official Number: 110711
Yard Number: 257
Gross Tonnage: 172
Net Tonnage: 52
Length: 110 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 10.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
25.3.1899: Launched by by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.257) for William Widdowson, Hull (managing owner) as DIANA.
1.5.1899: Registered at Hull (H453).
1907: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (James H. Marr, manager).
1902: New boiler fitted (made 1899).
18.9.1907: Hull registry closed.
19.9.1907: Registered at Fleetwood (FD135).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 67.20net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
13.10.1914: Sold to Thomas Lauder, Aberdeen (managing owner) for £2250.
13.10.1914: Fleetwood registry closed.
2.11.1914: Registered at Aberdeen (A148), Thomas Lauder appointed managing owner.
1915: Sold to Robert Milne, Aberdeen & James M. Davidson, Glasgow (Robert Milne, managing owner).
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a collier in support of boom gate working vessels (2-12pdrs). Based Scapa.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
7.1920: Sold to The Nettle Trawler Co Ltd, London (Benjamin Allenby c/o Sam Isaacs Ltd, Aberdeen, manager).
11.1921: The Nettle Trawler Co Ltd in liquidation. Laid up at Pointlaw, Aberdeen.
12.12.1921: Advertised for sale by John Fraser, Liquidator, along with steam trawler NETTLE (A262). Vessel is in first class order and sold with all gear on board as lies.
1922: Sold to John Walker & Robert A. Morrice (64/64 joint owners), Aberdeen. John Walker designated managing owner.
11.6.1926: Sold to William Frederick Croft, Hartlepool.
10.7.1926: Sold to Croft Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hartlepool (William F. Croft, manager).
1929: Cecil Croft appointed manager.
7.2.1930: Sold to Robert S. Hewett, London & Fleetwood.
17.2.1930: Aberdeen registry closed.
18.2.1930: Registered at London (LO31).
30.5.1930: Sold to Hewett Fishing Co Ltd, London & Fleetwood (Robert S. Hewett, manager).
8.6.1930: Connected to steam drifter/trawler THRIFTY (LT152) disabled with propeller fouled with fishing gear and delivered Fleetwood.
1937: Sold for breaking up.
10.2.1937: London registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
S.T. Diana H453
Picture courtesy of James Cullen
19/12/2008: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
06/07/2014: Picture added.
21/07/2016: Information updated.
01/12/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.