Tag Archives: Wyre

S.T. Wyre Corsair FD287

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4410
Official Number: 143516
Yard Number: 426
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 282
Net Tonnage: 110
Length: 128.5 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

Note: Originally ordered by The Admiralty (Ad.No.4410) as a “Castle” class to be named RICHARD BANE but cancelled.

23.3.1920: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.426) for Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff as KYOTO.
9.1920: Registered at Cardiff (CF65).
9.1920: Completed. Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale appointed managers.
12.1929: Sold to Hakin Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven (Joseph S. Pettit, Frederick Steer, Horace S. Fiddy, Milford & Joseph B. B. Huddlestone, Hakin) (Joseph B. B. Huddleston, manager).
12.1929: Cardiff registry closed.
16.12.1929: Registered at Milford (M50).
15.3.1937: Sold to Westward Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Edgar E. Carter & Richard S. Bowen, Port Talbot) (Edgar. E. Carter, manager).
18.5.1938: Registered at Milford as RUDILAIS (M50).
5.10.1938: Sailed Milford for fishing grounds (Sk.John F. Jones). WNW strong wind went to anchor in Dale Bay.
6.10.1938: Swinging collided with SHAMA (M223), causing damage.
1.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service and designated for minesweeping duties (Hire rate £91.13.0d/month).
30.9.1939: Last landing at Milford.
4.1.1940: Returned.
1.10.1940: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out for minesweeping duties (P.No.FY.528).
12.1945: Returned.
10.1948: Sold to Wyre Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd, managers).
8.11.1948: Milford registry closed.
11.1948: Registered at Fleetwood as WYRE CORSAIR (FD287).
8.1.1949: Sheltering in West Loch Roag, Isle of Lewis in gale force winds, dragged anchor and stranded. Gale gusting 60mph, came afloat and shifted position to anchor.
10.1.1949: At about 5.00 p.m. dragged anchor and stranded again; crew of thirteen rescued by breeches-buoy after Stornoway lifeboat had put a line onboard.
12.1.1949: Refloated by Clyde tug FLYING FALCON (283grt/1934) and delivered Stornoway.
1954: Transferred to Wyre Trawlers Ltd (Leslie Wheildon, manager) on purchase of Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd by Associated Fisheries Group.
1956: Sold to B. J. Nijkerk S.A., Antwerp for breaking up.
19.4.1956: Sailed Fleetwood for Antwerp.

(Richard Bane, Midshipman, age 21, b. Norfolk – DREADNOUGHT (ex ROYAL SOVEREIGN)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Wyre Corsair FD287

S.T. Wyre Corsair FD287
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Wyre Corsair FD287

S.T. Wyre Corsair FD287
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
27/02/2017 Images added.
31/08/2019: Removed incorrect image.
17/08/2021: Updated technical details.

S.T. Wyre Colonel FD77

Technical

Admitalty Number: 3669.
Official Number: 144279
Yard Number: 349
Completed: 1917
As built: 360disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 feet
Gross Tonnage: 276
Net Tonnage: 105
LengthL 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley

History

17.11.1917: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Paisley (Yd.No.349) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM CUMMINS(Ad.No.3669).
29.11.1917: Completed as a minesweeper (1-12pdr).
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
13.8.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
24.8.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I & IV) O.N.144279 (LO454).
11.1920: At HM Dockyard, Portsmouth fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Portsmouth.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
10.1922: Advertised for sale.
11.1924: Sold to Société Anonyme Armement Ostendais, Ostend.
5.11.1924: London registry closed.
11.1924: Registered at Ostend as ERNEST SOLVAY (O160).
11.1929: Landing at Fleetwood.
1939: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
21.4.1939: Registered at Hull as NIBLICK (H80).
1940: Fishing from Fleetwood.
3.6.1940: At Hull last landing before requisitioning. Faroe trip, 16 days – 431kits £880 gross.
5.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Hire rate £80.10.0d/month).
10.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
4.1944: Fitted out as a dan layer and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
23.5.1944: Attached to the 15th Minesweeping Flotilla as a dan layer.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
8.1945: Returned after survey and restoration at Liverpool.
7.1945: Sold to The Wyre Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd, managers).
26.7.1945: Registered at Fleetwood (FD77).
4.12.1948: Registered at Fleetwood as WYRE COLONEL (FD77).
1954: Transferred to Wyre Trawlers Ltd (Leslie Wheildon, manager) on purchase of Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd by Associated Fisheries Group.
1956: Sold to Hammond Lane Foundry Ltd, Dublin for breaking up.
11.12.1956: Arrived Dublin from Fleetwood under own power.
25.1.1957: Fleetwood registry closed.
(William Cummins, Private, Marine, age ?, b. ? – VICTORY (ML108))

Click to enlarge images

HMT Niblick

HMT Niblick
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Wyre Colonel FD77

S.T. Wyre Colonel FD77
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S,T. Wyre Colonel FD77

S,T. Wyre Colonel FD77
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
28/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
25/06/2021: Updated history and technical details.

S.T. Capstone FD78

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson and Barry Johnson Milford Trawlers

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3159
Official Number: 143847
Yard Number: 698
Completed: 1917
As built: 360disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 feet.
Gross Tonnage: 275
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.3 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Southbank-on-Tees
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne
Armament: 1 x 12 pdr

History

19.2.1917: Laid down.
6.6.1917: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.698) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JAMES ROBERTSON (Ad.No.3159).
12.7.1917: Completed (1-12pdr, hydrophone and W/T).
19.11.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as JAMES ROBERTSON O.N.143847.
19.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO331).
3.1920: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries and engaged in commercial trawling (one of 36 vessels transferred).
1.4.1920 – 12.12.1921: Landing at Milford.
1921: Sold to David Pettit, Hakin.
1921: Sold to D. Pettit Ltd, Milford Haven (David Pettit, Hakin, manager).
19.12.1921: London registry closed.
21.12.1921: Registered at Milford (M243).
1.1922: Registered at Milford as CAPSTONE (M243).
28.3.1923: At Milford landed crew of French schooner MADELON destroyed by fire 70 miles WNW of Bishops Rock whilst on passage Fécamp towards Newfoundland.
3.5.1925: Fishing 140 miles NW by N of Bull Rock went to assistance of COTSMUIR (M244) disabled with broken tailshaft. Connected and towed to Milford.
6.5.1925: Arrived Milford.
30.10.1932: Damaged propeller on underwater object. CLYRO (M425) connected and towed to Milford.
17.11.1933: Fishing 25 miles W of Smalls in E fresh gale, hauled to go to assistance of Whitehaven steam coaster HOLME FORCE (1216g/1930) in light condition Brest for Fleetwood, in distress having lost propeller on previous night off Bishops Rock. With difficulty connected and commenced tow to Milford.
18.11.1933: Arrived Milford. Subsequently awarded £1000 salvage money.
1934: Mrs Elizabeth A. H. Pettit appointed manager.
25.10.1934: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys appointed manager.
29.1.1935: Returned to Fleetwood with storm damage sustained 80 miles off Northern Ireland coast when knocked on beam ends and slack bunkers shifted (Sk. Charles Seeling). Damage included wheelhouse windows broken, lifeboat lost, all moveable fittings including fishing gear swept away, WT and aerials damaged, put out all fires apart from main furnace and flooded cabins.
13.4.1938: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Basil A, Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde appointed manager.
2.5.1938: Milford registry closed.
3.5.1938: Registered at Hull (H522).
30.5.1940: At Hull last landing before requisitioning. Faroe trip, 13 days – 418kits £826 gross.
1.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (P.No.FY1555) and also employed on auxiliary patrol (P.No.4.174) (Hire rate £80.4.2d/month).
20.6.1941: Shot down a German bomber (Sk. A. E. Rudd RNR).
9.1941: Employed minesweeping.
10.1945: Returned and re-classed at Liverpool (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
7.1945: Sold to The Wyre Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd, managers).
7.1945: Hull registry closed.
26.7.1945: Registered at Fleetwood (FD78).
2.1947: On a trip to the Porcupine Bank ground SW of Ireland (Sk. James Harper).
10.2.1947: In the early morning in heavy seas and high wind started to ship large amounts of water and failing to clear quickly entered below deck. With steam pumps inoperative manned the hand pumps and sounded distress with siren. Steam trawler RICHARD CROFTS (LO365) (Sk. Bobby Kettle) nearby, responded and stood by prepared to recover the crew if necessary, but the skippers decided to make for Castetownbere, Co. Cork just over 100 miles away.
11.2.1947: Arrived Castletownbere safely with RICHARD CROFTS in attendance.
23.12.1948: Registered at Fleetwood as WYRE CAPTAIN (FD78).
1954: Transferred to Wyre Trawlers Ltd (Leslie Wheildon, manager) on purchase of Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd by Associated Fisheries Group.
1960: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
15.9.1960: Delivered Barrow-in-Furness from Fleetwood under own power.

(James Robertson, Quartergunner, age 37, b. Hardwick, Vermont, America – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB114)) OR James Robertson, Midshipman, age 22, b. Stornoway, Isle of Lewis – VICTORY

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Wyre Captain FD78

S.T. Wyre Captain FD78
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
24/09/2003: Page published. 3 updates since then.
25/02/2015: Information updated.
30/12/2015: Information updated.
28/10/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Royal Marine FD63

Additional information courtesy of Bil Blow and David Slinger

Technical

Official Number: 181282
Yard Number: 683
Completed: July 29 1941
Gross Tonnage: 510
Net Tonnage: 160
Length: 167.7 ft
Breadth: 28.1 ft
Depth: 14.1 ft
Engine: 970ihp T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Boiler: Central Marine Engine Works, West Hartlepool
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed: 11 knots

History

20.11.1940: Ordered.
1.4.1941: Laid down.
29.7.1941: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.683) (“Hill” class) for The Admiralty as HMS BUTSER (P.No.T219)
16.1.1942: Completed (1-12pdr HA, 4-MG, 1-20mm, DC).
1941: Home Fleet.
1942: To Freetown, 2nd A/S Group.
1945: Armament increased (2-20mm).
1946: Laid up at Rosyth on Disposal List (SORF, Rosyth).
10.4.1946: Sold to Devon Fishing Co Ltd, Hull for the sum of £27,750 with estimated cost of conversion at £30,000.
11.1946: Converted to a fishing vessel by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields. Remeasured 538.20g 210.40n.
11.1946: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1946: Engine re-rated 1050ihp.
25.11.1946: Registered at Hull (Part I & IV) as BALTHAZAR O.N.181282 (H359). Mark Hellyer & Graham Hellyer designated managers.
11.1.1952: Sold to The Loyal Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. Albert Wright Butt designated manager.
1.1952: Hull registry closed.
21.1.1952: Registered at Grimsby (GY213).
7.2.1952: Registered at Grimsby as ROYAL MARINE (GY213) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1016/52 dated 28.1.1952).
7.5.1952: Arrived Harstad, northern Norway having been arrested for alleged fishing inside territorial waters (Sk. Charles Major).
14.5.1952: At court in Harstad, fined £8175, which included confiscation of catch, gear, ship value and legal costs, for allegedly fishing in Norwegian waters.
10.2.1954: At appeal disagreement between judge and jury.
7.4.1960: Sold to Wyre Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood (Associated Fisheries Group).
9.4.1960: Grimsby registry closed.
9.4.1960: On passage Grimsby – Fleetwood, developed engine trouble off West Coast of Scotland. Distress answered by steam trawler WYRE MARINER (FD34) (Sk Percy Bedford) outwards for Bear Island grounds. Closed, connected and commenced tow for Fleetwood.
11.4.1960: Delivered Fleetwood after 250 mile tow, transferred to tugs BISPHAM (21grt/1938) and LANDY II (66grt/1949) and brought into dock.
4.1960: Registered at Fleetwood (FD63).
21.4.1960: Leslie Wheildon designated manager.
17.8.1960: First landing at Fleetwood, Iceland 21 days, 910 kits, £5.500 gross.
25.7.1963: Abandoned by crew south of Mull of Galloway after fire broke out in boiler room. Taken in tow by WYRE CONQUEROR (FD187) and returned to Fleetwood but damaged beyond economical repair. Laid up.
9.1963: Sold to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
22.10.1963: Left Fleetwood for Troon under tow.
24.10.1963: Delivered Troon Harbour (draughts 8’3”/16’9”).
11.6.1964: Breaking commenced.
8.9.1964: Re-berthed.
2.10.1964: Beached (draughts 7’0”/10’0”).
27.10.1964: Re-beached.
17.11.1964: Re-beached.
15.12.1964: Breaking completed.
21.4.1965: Fleetwood registry closed “Vessel broken up”.

Click to enlarge images

HMT Butser

HMT Butser
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

HMS Butser T219

HMS Butser T219
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Royal Marine FD63 as HMT Butser

HMT Butser
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Balthazar H359

S.T. Balthazar H359
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Royal Marine FD63

S.T. Royal Marine GY213
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Royal Marine FD63

S.T. Royal Marine GY213
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Royal Marine GY213

S.T. Royal Marine GY213
Picture courtesy of The Billy Worrall Collection

S.T. Royal Marine FD63

S.T. Royal Marine FD63
Picture courtesy of The Peter Hearn Collection

S.T. Royal Marine FD63

S.T. Royal Marine FD63 on fire
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Royal Marine FD63

S.T. Royal Marine FD63
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
24/01/2009; Page published. 8 updates since then.
11/03/2017: Removed disputed image.
20/02/2018: Added an image.
03/08/2018: Removed FMHT watermark and updated information.
21/04/2019: Added an image.
26/09/2019: Updated information and added an image.

S.T. Macbeth FD74

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 164438
Yard Number: 1034
Completed: 1938
Gross Tonnage: 540
Net Tonnage: 198
Length: 175.8 ft
Breadth: 28.6 ft
Depth: 15 ft
Engine: 925 ihp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough. Fitted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F
Boiler: Boiler: Richardsons, Westgarth & Co Ltd, Hartlepool
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

17.1.1938: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.1034) for Ayrshire Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), London as AYRSHIRE.
2.1938: Completed. Total cost with extras, £26,642.17.10d.
19.2.1938: Harry Markham Cook appointed manager.
19.2.1938: Registered at Grimsby (GY520).
9.3.1938: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
8.8.1939: Mortgage (A) discharged.
9.8.1939: Sold to Hellyer Bros Ltd (64/64), Hull.
9.8.1939: Owen Stooks Hellyer appointed manager.
9.8.1939: Grimsby registry closed.
10. 8.1939: Registered at Hull (H113).
22.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as an anti-submarine trawler (1-4”, AA weapons, ASDIC, DC) (P.No.FY.225) (Hire rate £384.15.0d/month). Based Rosyth.
20.2.1940: On patrol off Copinsay (Sub Lieut. Nigel Dixon RN), attacked by two German aircraft, HM Trawler FIFESHIRE (Sub Lieut. John V. Searles-Wood RN) sunk but attackers withdrew.
17.2.1941: Hellyer Bros Ltd in liquidation sold to reconstituted Hellyer Bros Ltd (64/64), Hull.
25.2.1941: Owen Stooks Hellyer appointed manager.
8.1941: Transferred to Iceland for convoy escort duties. Murmansk convoys including Convoy PQ17.
28.11.1945: Sold to Devon Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
28.11.1945: Mark Hellyer & Graham Hellyer appointed managers.
10.1945: Returned after survey and restoration at Middlesbrough.
18.12.1945: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (B).
28.5.1946: Registered at Hull as MACBETH (H113) (MoT Minute R.G.1212/1946 dated 22.5.1946).
13.8.1947: Alteration to tonnage and other particulars, Certificate of Survey at Hull dated 9.8.1947. 575g 215n.
13.1.1948: Mortgage (B) discharged.
25.2.1948: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (C).
5.1951: Boiler fitted with superheaters by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull and fitted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
15.11.1952: Name of Devon Fishing Co Ltd changed to Hellyer Bros. Ltd, Hull (Certificate dated 7.11.1952).
29.3.1963: Mortgage (C) discharged.
1963: Company amalgamated with Associated Fisheries.
2.5.1963: Sailed Hull for Iceland/North Sea, last trip from port (Sk. R. McLane).
22.5.1963: At Hull landed 734 kits grossed £3,759.
4.6.1963: Sold to Wyre Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
12.6.1963: At Fleetwood landed 1,300 kits grossed £5,300.
6.1.1964: Leslie Wheildon appointed manager.
6.1.1964: Hull registry closed.
7.1.1964: Registered at Fleetwood (FD74).
1966: Sold to W. H. Arnott Young & Co Ltd, Dalmuir for breaking up.
19.1.1967: Sailed Fleetwood for Glasgow arriving same day.
30.1.1967: Breaking up commenced. Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

HMT Ayrshire

HMT Ayrshire
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Macbeth FD74

S.T. Macbeth FD74

S.T. Macbeth FD74

S.T. Macbeth FD74
Picture courtesy of The Frank Pook Collection

S.T. Macbeth H113

S.T. Macbeth H113
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Macbeth H113

S.T. Macbeth H113
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/04/2014: Removed FMHT watermark and added image.