Admiralty Number: 3546
Official Number: 143797
Yard Number: 806
Gross Tonnage: 325
Net Tonnage: 154
Length: 138.5 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 600ihp T.3-cyl by Cooper & Greig Ltd, Dundee
8.5.1917: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.806) (“Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as THOMAS ATKINSON (Ad.No.3546).
3.8.1917: Completed as a minesweeper (1-12pdr and W/T).
4.11.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as THOMAS ATKINSON O.N.143797.
1919: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries and engaged in commercial trawling.
13.8.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
1921: Allocated to the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
11.5.1921: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO509).
10.1921: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke completed fitting out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
12.1923: Sold to Hudson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.
8.12.1923: London registry closed.
10.12.1923: Registered at Hull (H909). Thomas Hudson designated manager.
18.12.1923: Registered at Hull as CAVENDISH (H909).
Pre 11.1935: Rendered assistance to steam trawler LORD ANCASTER (H662) disabled with a broken rudder stock 10 miles E of North Ronaldsay, Orkney Islands. Connected and commenced tow.
7.1938: Sold to Towarzystwo Dalekomorskich Polowoe “Pomorze” Sp.z.o.o., Gdynia.
28.7.1938: Hull registry closed.
1938: Renamed EUGENIUSZ (GDY118).
1939: Sold to Adam Steam Fishing Co. Ltd, London (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
8.1939: Gdynia registry closed.
8.8.1939: Registered at Fleetwood as ERITH (FD93).
4.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.578) (Hire rate £94.15.10d/month).
1.1941: Based Grimsby with M/S Group 21 (Ty/Sk. H. J. May RNR).
31.5.1943: Sold to Winzenty Bartosiak, Gdynia, Poland.
31.5.1943: Sold to Winzenty Bartosiak, Gdynia, Poland (Baltycka Spolka Okretowa sp.z.o.o., Gdynia (Baltic Shipping Co Ltd)) (T. Olszowski, manager).
4.6.1943: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.1945: Returned to owner. Registered at Gdynia as POLESIE (GDY89).
5.1946: Special survey (ss) at Ghent.
23-24.6.1946: Arrived Gdynia (Sk. D. Plug (Dutch)) with good catch having sailed from Ghent on completion of surveys. Then fishing from IJmuiden with Dutch crews until end of year.
12.1946: Returned to Poland.
16.12.1949: By Order of the Ministry of Navigation the holding company and assets to be placed under control of the Polish People’s Republic. Zbigniew Kollesinskiego appointed manager.
1950: Company and assets transferred to “Dalmor” Przedsiobiorstwo Polowow Dalekomorskich Sp.z.ogr.odp, Gdynia (Polish Government).
1957: New boiler.
1957: Registered at Gdynia as FENIKS (GDY89).
12.1959: Sold to Polish shipbreakers and broken up.
1960: Gdynia registry closed.
(Thomas Atkinson, Master (Warrant 7 Apr 1803) responsible for the navigation of the ship, age 40, b. ?? – VICTORY (SB31))
Click to enlarge image
18/12/2008: Page published. 3 updates since then.
13/07/2020: Information updated.