S.T. Chiltern H660
Additional material courtesy of Mike Thompson
Admiralty Number: 3562
Official Number: 143867
Yard Number: 882
Gross Tonnage: 324
Net Tonnage: 130
Length: 138.5 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: 87HP T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
4.9.1917: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.822) (“Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN CORMACK.
30.11.1917: Completed as an armed trawler (1-12pdr HA and W/T).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty in the Registry of British Ships at London (O.N.143867).
28.1.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London as a fishing vessel (LO263.
1922: Sold to Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (John McCann & Edward Cartwright, managers.
28.7.1922: London registry closed.
4.8.1922: Registered at Hull (H660).
21.8.1922: Registered at Hull as LORD PIRRIE (H660).
1929: Sold to Eton Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.
28.6.1929: Registered at Hull as CHILTERN (H660).
1930: Sold to W. B. Willey & Sons Ltd, Hull (William B. Willey Jnr, manager).
15.5.1936: Sold to H. Elliott & Sons Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Henry Elliott, manager).
7.1936: On Rockall grounds, George Cook of Blackburn, deckhand, fell overboard and was drowned.
16.8.1939: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
Pre 4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection (WA/Fort William/Fleetwood).
4.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (1-12pdr) (P.No. 4.125) (Hire rate £94.10.0d/month).
15-25.6.1940: Operation Ariel.
18.6.1940: At St. Nazaire, rescued women and children from advancing German forces. The last British ship to leave the port.
30.5.1941: Shot down twin engined German bomber off West Country (Ty/Sk. A. J. Drake RNR).
9.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Plymouth.
1.1942: At Falmouth for arcticisation.
3.1942 – 5.1942: At Reykjavik as escort (part) of Russian convoys PQ.12, PQ.14 and PQ.15.
26.8.1944: Sold to Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (George Gillard, manager).
1945: Returned to owner.
1.6.1946: Sold to Ross & Fullerton Ltd, Glasgow.
12.9.1946: Sold to David G. Watson, Aberdeen.
25.10.1945: Sold to Planet Fishing Co Ltd, Edinburgh (Edwin Walker & Sons, managers). Registered at Granton (GN25).
28.10.1945: Laid up at Granton. Flooded engine room due to leak.
26.1.1950: Fishing about 110 miles NE of Buchan Ness (Sk. John Paterson) in company with trawler KUVERA (GN39) which started to take in water. Before vessel settled and foundered, all thirteen crew taken onboard and subsequently landed at Granton.
1952: Sold to Medway Yacht Basin Ltd, Borstal, Rochester (R. W. Pearson, manager).
1954: Sold to BISCO and allocated to James A. White & Co Ltd, St. David’s for breaking up.
(John Cormack (aka Cormick), Bosun’s Mate (prest), age 26, b. Co.Wexford (also recorded as age 29, b. Edinburgh) – VICTORY (SB573))
Click to enlarge images