Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson
Admiralty Number: FY 3778
Official Number: 143925
Yard Number: 399
As built: 360disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 feet
Gross Tonnage: 277
Net Tonnage: 108
Length : 125.5 ft
Breadth : 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Speed: 10.5 knots
27.7.1918: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.399)(“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JOHN GRAHAM.
20.1.1919: Completed as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.3778).
30.5.1919: Loaned to USN (North Sea Minesweeping Detachment) to clear North Sea Mine Barrage.
12.8.1919: Returned to The Admiralty.
8.12.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as JOHN GRAHAM O.N.143925).
1919: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London and engaged in commercial trawling.
28.1.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) as JOHN GRAHAM (LO268).
03.1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
12.1920: At HM Dockyard, Chatham completed fitting out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at London.
04.1921: Paid off. Laid up at Brightlingsea.
31.10.1921: After inspection at Brightlingsea by Capt. William John Lown & Lawrence Spring (directors), purchased by Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull.
31.10.1921: Sold to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Walter Scott manager) after inspection at Brightlingsea by Capt. William John Lown & Lawrence Spring (directors). Purchased at asking price £7250 (Others inspected and purchased were DANIEL DICK, GEORGE CORTEN, ISAAC ARTHAN, JOHN BROOKER & THOMAS BOUDIGE).
18.11.1921: Arrived Hull from Brightlingsea for fitting out. Total cost including fit out and classification
12.1921: Remeasured 277g 109n.
1.12.1921: Sailed on first trip.
12.12.1921: Broken trip, winch problems. Landed 192 kits £223 gross.
14.12.1921: London registry closed.
31.12.1921: Registered at Hull as JOHN GRAHAM (H393).
21.1.1922: Registered at Hull as RUBY (H393).
24.3.1925: John William Lown designated manager.
18.2.1935: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £4000.
24.10.1935: Registered at Hull as EASTCOATES (H393). Edward Towne designated manager.
1935: Insured value £5,500.
7.2.1937: Transferred to fish out of Fleetwood.
11.8.1939: Sailed Hull for Faroe grounds (Sk. J. Wilson).
25.8.1939: Landed at Hull, 460 kits grossed £362 (City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull).
28.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper.
9.1939: Fitting out at Dover.
26.10.1939: Returned to owner.
28.10.1939: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. H. Jones).
13.11.1939: Landed 183 kits grossed £547.
14.11.1939: Sailed for West of Scotland grounds (Sk.H. Jones).
14.11.1939: Sold to The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Leslie James Marr designated manager.
27.11.1939: Landed 400 kits £900 gross.
25.8.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1771) (Hire rate £86.11.3d/month). Based Belfast with M/S Group 140.
27.4.1945: Returned to owner.
22.6.1945: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds (Sk. A. Whitty).
11.7.1945: Landed 1409 kits £5,342 gross.
7.1945: Reclassed at Hull. Transferred to Fleetwood.
30.11.1945: Insured value £18,500; for 1946 proposed same.
28.4.1947: Sold to Odafoam Ltd, Liverpool. William Stevenson, St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea, manager for £7,150.
3.8.1950: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £2700. Geoffrey Edwards Marr designated manager.
31.1.1953: Sheltering off Black Head, Belfast Lough (Sk. David Brewster), responded to distress call from Stranraer-Belfast ferry, PRINCESS VICTORIA (2694grt/1947), flooded, listing and subsequently foundering. With other vessels* closed on scene of casualty about 1500 and picked up seven personnel, only one alive (Sk. Brewster awarded MBE for his actions).
1955: Sold to BISCO and allocated to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
23.7.1955: Delivered Troon Harbour under own power from Fleetwood.
2.8.1955: Breaking commenced.
4.1.1956: Breaking completed.
16.5.1956: Hull registry closed “Broken up”.
(* – LAIRDS MOOR ( 990grt/1948), ORCHY (1090grt/1930) and PASS OF DRUMOCHTER (813grt/1944)
(John Graham, AB, age 33, b. North America – VICTORY (SB787))
Click to enlarge images
18/01/2008: Page published. 4 updates since then.
07/05/2014: Posted picture.
08/04/2019: Updated information.