Additional information courtesy of Barry Johnson Milford Trawlers
Admiralty Number: 3539
Official Number: 143818
Yard Number: 718
As built: 360 disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 feet
Gross Tonnage: 275.15
Net Tonnage: 107.43
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smiths Dock Co. Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesborough
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Boiler: R.W. Hawthorn Leslie & Co Ltd, Newcastle
8.8.1917: Laid down.
17.10.1917: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.718) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as THOMAS GOBLE (Ad.No.3539).
23.11.1917: Completed as a minesweeper (1-12pdr and W/T).
12.11.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as THOMAS GOBLE O.N.143818.
1919: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries and engaged in commercial trawling.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
3.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) as THOMAS GOBLE (LO288).
2.1920: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke completed fitting out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
21.2.1920 – 7.3.1921: Landed at Milford. Laid up.
12.6.1921: Sold to D. Pettit Ltd, Milford Haven. David Pettit designated manager.
29.12.1921: London registry closed.
4.1.1922: Registered at Milford as COTSMUIR (M244).
23.4.1925: Sailed Milford for West Coast of Ireland grounds (Sk. William G. Davies).
3.5.1925: Fishing 140 miles NW by N of the Bull Rock, tailshaft fractured. Steam trawler CAPSTONE (M243) in company connected and proceeded to tow back to Milford.
6.5.1925: Delivered Milford.
30.5.1933: At 6.30 am. in position 12 miles SW of Bull Rock picked up all crew of steam trawler TALLY HO (M43) (Sk. John W. Setterfield) from boat after their trawler foundered about 5.30 am. Landed survivors at Berehaven.
9.11.1934: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys designated manager.
28.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (P.No.FY.550) (Hire rate £80.4.2d/month).
11.1945: Returned after restoration and survey at Port Glasgow. Fishing from Fleetwood.
28.12.1945: Sold to John C. Llewellin, Joseph L. Yolland, John Yolland Jnr, Haverfordwest & Betty Yolland, Swansea. John C. Llewellin designated manager.
1.1.1946: Messrs Yolland & Llewellin partnership dissolved.
9.1.1946: Sold to John Charles Llewellin, Milford Haven. John Charles Llewellin designated manging owner.
18.4.1946: Sold to J. C. Llewellin (Trawlers) Ltd, Milford Haven. John Charles Llewellin appointed manager.
29.9.1948: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £13890.
6.10.1948: Milford registry closed.
10.1948: Registered at Fleetwood (FD284). Geoffrey Edwards Marr designated manager.
2.2.1952: Sold to David Wood, Aberdeen for £7700.
2.1952: Fleetwood registry closed.
2.1952: Registered at Aberdeen (A703). David Wood designated managing owner.
1959: Sold to W. Ritscher, Hamburg for breaking up.
11.10.1959: Delivered to Atlantic Reederei F. & W. Joch, Hamburg with trawler ERIC STROUD (A90), 213grt/1914 in tow also for breaking up.
13.10.1959: Aberdeen registry closed.
(Thomas Goble, Master’s Mate (Midshipman), age 23, b. Arundel, Sussex – VICTORY (SB978))
Click to enlarge images
19/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then
25/02/2015: Information updated.
22/07/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.
28/08/2017: Added an image.
06/01/2020: Updated information.