S.T. Ellena FD394

Additional information courtesy of David Whiteside, Andy Hall, David Slinger, Ian Buxton and Barry Banham.

Technical

Official Number: 141961
Yard Number: 580
Completed: 1921
Gross Tonnage: 257.46
Net Tonnage: 99.67
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.1 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: 420ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

10.1921: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.580) for The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood as ELLENA.
23.11.1921: Registered at Fleetwood (FD394). Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
11.1921: Completed.
1924: William W. Brierley designated manager.
24.2.1930: On St. Kilda grounds at about 6.00am. in response to a radio message from steam trawler SARBA (FD177) which had lost her propeller, hauled and proceeded to casualty which was some 22 miles away, Owning to darkness, heavy seas and dense fog it took five hours to close and connecting was difficult in the weather conditions.
25.2.1930: Wires parted and only by strenuous efforts over four hours was the tow reconnected and the passage resumed.
26.2.1930: The fog remained a hazard and off Maughold Head, IoM, narrowly escaped being set on the rocks.
27.2.1930: Delivered Fleetwood after a 375 mile tow which had taken 64 hours to complete.
8.2.1936: Arrived Fleetwood in tow of steam trawler KODAMA (FD36), picked up in Donegal Bay disabled with rudder problem.
15.8.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper.
12.1.1941: Renamed ZAREBA (P.No.FY.1814) (Hire rate £86.14.9d/month).
28.9.1944: Sold to Malcolm Smith Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen . Malcolm Smith designated manager.
24.11.1944: Fitted out for barrage balloon towing duties. R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen, temporary managers.
1945: Returned and reverted to ELLENA (FD394).
24.2.1946: Sold to Shire Trawlers Ltd (64/64), London. William A. Bennett designated manager.
9.1948: Sold to Alexander Hay (64/64), Aberdeen.
10.1948: Fleetwood registry closed.
14.10.1948: Registered at Aberdeen (A618). Alexander Hay designated managing owner.
1953: Made one trip to Greenland as a liner.
13.5.1955: Sold to Alexander Hay, George D. Taylor, John George Maurice Taylor, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners). Operating as a liner (Sk. John Taylor).
20.3.1958: Sold to Alexander Hay & John George Maurice Taylor, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners).
1960 – 1962: Converted to motor at Lowestoft by LBS Engineering Ltd and fitted with 4 stroke 6-cyl oil engine 600bhp by A.K. Diesels Ltd, Lowestoft (Last vessel to be converted from steam to motor at Lowestoft).
27.6.1960: Arrived Lowestoft for for layup prior to conversion to motor.
12.10.1960: Sold to Alexander Hay (64/64), Aberdeen.
12.10.1960: Sold to Devotion Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen. Alexander Hay designated manager.
21.5.1962: Alterations to tonnage and other particulars. Certificate of Survey at Lowestoft dated 23.4.1962 refers – 263.40g 99.64n
25.6.1962: Sailed Lowestoft for Aberdeen on completion of conversion and trials.
3.1968: Sold to J. & C. Davies, Fleetwood.
13.3.1968: Aberdeen registry closed.
3.1968: Registered at Fleetwood (FD333). Bowden Ramster designated manager.
1970: Sold to Thos W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
6.2.1970: Suffered machinery problem at the Ribble bar when inward from Fleetwood and anchored 299° 5 miles from Nelson Buoy; owner onboard. In the morning with a gale warning, attended by Lytham St. Anne’s lifeboat Sarah Townsend Porritt (Cox. Harold ‘Codge’ Parkinson), decided to move on the noon tide to Lytham; connected and commenced tow. With slow progress and with nine vessels behind including DORIC FERRY (2573grt/1962) and BARDIC FERRY (2550grt/1957) and concern they could be delayed, Preston pilot boat St. JOAN (Sk. John Eccles) ordered to assist; closed, breasted up and with lifeboat ahead, proceeded to take to anchor in the Lighthouse Hole at Lytham to await a tug to continue tow to Preston.
7.2.1970: Taken up to Preston on the am. tide by tug FRANK JAMIESON (146grt/1955) following motor vessels SOUTRA (1334grt/1958) and EMINENCE (999grt/1969); just after 1.00am. berthed in basin. On pm. tide delivered to Wards by FRANK JAMIESON; draught on arrival 6ft forward, 14ft aft. The last vessel broken up by the Preston yard before closure.
1970: Fleetwood registry closed.

The RNLI Lytham St.Anne’s Station received two cheques following service to motor trawler ELLENA, both for £20 donated by Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Bowden Ramster), one for the Station Branch and the other for the crew.

Seven ships – OWENRO, CORIA, CRESCENCE, SPANIEL, BARBEL BOLTEN, GOODWILL MERCHANT, GERTRUD HAUSCHILDT.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Ellena A618

S.T. Ellena A618
Picture (Laid up at Lowestoft) courtesy of The David Slinger Collection.

S.T. Ellena FD394 after conversion to MV

M.T. Ellena FD394
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

M.T. Ellena FD333

M.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of the World Ship Soc. D.B. Cochrane collection

M.T. Ellena FD333

M.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of the World Ship Soc. D.B. Cochrane collection

S.T. Ellena FD333

S.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of the World Ship Soc. D.B. Cochrane collection

M.T. Ellena FD333

M.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of The Frank Kilroy – David Forshaw collection

M.T. Ellena FD333

M.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of The Frank Kilroy – David Forshaw collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
26/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
02/07/2017: Added two images.
03/07/2017: Information updated.
10/07/2017: Added another image and updated information.
19/07/2017: Updated information.
10/08/2017: Added two images.
23/11/2017: Information updated.

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.


Hit Counter provided by criminal attorney Orange County
Fight Spam! Click Here!