S.T. General Birdwood H121
Admiralty Number: 4250
Official Number: 144023
Yard Number: 893
Gross Tonnage: 327
Net Tonnage: 129
Length: 138.3 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 85RHP T.3-cyl by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Speed: 10.5 knots
1.5.1919: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.893) (“Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as JAMES MCLAUGHLIN (Ad.No.4250). Sold to Hellyer Brothers Ltd, Hull.
7.11.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel (Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer, managers).
18.11.1919: Renamed GENERAL BIRDWOOD (H121).
1928: Fish carrier for halibut fishery in the Davis Strait, Greenland.
24.11.1933: Sold to Fred Parkes, Blackpool & Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys (Basil A. Parkes, managing owner).
8.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£6,000).
27.10.1939: Hull registry closed. Fitted out for minesweeping duties (FY724).
3.1944: Fitted out for smoke making (Esso) trawler and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
11.6.1944: Sailed Solent for Mulberry B with Group A1 as part of Convoy ETC6. Employed smoke making.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended.
5.1946: Sold to Easton Trawling Co Ltd, Swansea. Renamed WOODESSE (SA23).
28.6.1949: Sold to John S. Boyle Ltd, Glasgow (Richard Allan, manager). Registered at Glasgow (GW6). Fishing from Granton.
1955: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Malcolm Brechin, Granton for breaking up.
5.1955: Delivered Granton.
(James McLaughlin, Landsman (volunteer), age 26, b. Co. Roscommon, Ireland – VICTORY (SB157))
Click to enlarge image