S.T. Loch Esk FD307

Technical

Official Number: 129374
Yard Number: 473
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 209.47
Net Tonnage: 78.41
Length: 115.6 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Alexander Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Alexander Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

4.1.1912: Launched by Alexander Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.473) for Stroud’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen as DANIEL STROUD.
1.1912: Completed.
25.1.1912: Registered at Aberdeen (A438). Horace E. Stroud designated manager.
7.1914: Sold to The Admiralty.
3.8.1914: Arrived Devonport and fitted out as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.163) (Aberdeen registry retained).
15.8.1914: Sailed Devonport for Portsmouth.
6.2.1915: In company with Hull registered salvage steamer SALVOR No.1 (130grt/1872), sheltering in South Bay, Peterhead. Dragged anchor and fetched up on west shore. Peterhead lifeboat launched and SALVOR No.1 got underway to attend but in very heavy seas engine failed, broached and turned turtle. Swept onto rocks; only one survivor E. S. Riches, cook, out of crew of seven. DANIEL STROUD was subsequently refloated.
1919: Sold to Stroud’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen. Horace E. Stroud designated manager.
7.1925: New boiler fitted.
9.8.1929: Sold to The Empire Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen. Harry Alexander Holmes designated manager.
28.9.1929: Registered at Aberdeen as LOCH ESK (A438) (BoT Minute M/RG No.1393/1929 dated 31.8.1929).
22.8.1930: Stranded at Kilminning one mile south of Fifeness; crew landed by life-saving apparatus. Towed off with little damage and proceeded under own power.
3.2.1933: Returned to Aberdeen with fire in bunker coal which had spontaneously combusted whilst on fishing grounds. Fire extinguished by Fire Brigade.
1934: Malcolm Smith designated manager.
1935: Sold to Andrew Craig & others, Aberdeen. Alexander F. Wood designated managing owner
1936: Sold to Isaac B., I. J. W. & J. A. Wood, Aberdeen. Alexander F. Wood designated managing owner manager.
1939: Sold to Regent Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen. Thomas Walker designated manager.
11.1939: Sold to John Grant, Aberdeen. John Grant designated managing owner.
25.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.896) (Hire rate £52.5,0d/month).
25.1.1940: Returned to owner.
1942: Sold to Mrs Ellen Mary Marsh Gordon Cubbin (64/64), Douglas, IoM.
2.11.1942: Aberdeen registry closed.
7.11.1942: Registered at Peel (PL53).
7.11.1942: Robert Albert Colby Cubbin designated manager.
1943: Landing at Fleetwood from Home Waters and Faroe grounds.
3.5.1943: Typical landing, Home Waters. 520 kits – cod/codling-200, haddock-250, ling/coley-60, dogs-40.
17.6.1943: Typical landing, Faroes. 450 kits – cod-350, haddock-60, flats-25, ling & coley-15.
2.1945: Fishing out of Fleetwood.
4.11.1948: Sold to Ribble Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
17.11.1948: Stanley James Waltham designated manager.
17.11.1949: Peel registry closed.
18.11.1949: Registered at Fleetwood (FD307).
10.6.1950: Fishing off Inishtrahull (Sk. James Richard Wayman); twelve crew. At about 11.00 pm. approached by three motor fishing boats believed from Portaleen, Co. Donegal. Boat crews opened up with small arms fire and Sk. Wayman hit in left thigh. Bosun, Ronald Clark, took the wheel and headed for the open sea. Towed nets for six miles before hauling.
11.6.1950: Arrived Campbeltown for medical attention and to report incident.
12.6.1950: Arrived Fleetwood.
12.6.1950: At a special Court at Culdaff, Co. Donegal, Patrick Kelly, Glentosker and William Bonner (22) of Portaleen, Culdaff charged in connection with the shooting affair near Inishtrahull Island. William Bonner was charged with discharging a loaded rifle at Sk. Wayman and Patrick Kelly of aiding an abetting Bonner. Both accused returned for trial to the Circuit Court at Letterkenny, Bonner on bail of £100 with two sureties of £50 and Kelly on bail of £50 with two sureties of £25. to appear at Malin District Court.
20.6.1950: At Malin District Court…. Outcome unknown.
1950: Sold to Regent Steam Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen. Thomas Walker designated manager.
7.1951: Sold to Goodleigh Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven.
7.1951: Fleetwood registry closed.
20.7.1951: Registered at Milford as ROSELEIGH (M166). Henry John Richards, Johnston designated manager.
1952: Goodleigh Fisheries Ltd in liquidation.
19.2.1953: Sold to William Henry Kerr, Milford Haven. William Henry Kerr designated managing owner.
5.5.1953: Sold to South Western Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven. John Charles Llewellin designated manager.
4.8.1953: Registered at Milford as CRUNDALE (M166). Spanish pareja trawling with steam trawler LYDSTEP (M192).
13.4.1955: Last landing at Milford.
4.1955: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Castle Pill, Milford Haven.
7.5.1955: Arrived Castle Pill.
13.6.1955: Milford registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Loch Esk PL53

S.T. Loch Esk PL53
Picture courtesy of Milford Trawlers

Changelog

19/01/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
01/02/2017: Removed disputed image.