S.T. Lord Knollys FD167


Official Number: 132267
Yard Number: 491
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 285
Net Tonnage: 114
Length: 133.5 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby


27.7.1911: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.491) for The Yorkshire Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as LORD KNOLLYS.
22.9.1911: Registered at Hull (H327).
28.9.1911: Completed (John McCann, manager).
3.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an anti-submarine trawler (1-12pdr & Hydrophone) (Ad.No.1177). Fitted as Leader. Based Taranto.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
14.2.1919: Sold to Frederick Langley, Hull (managing owner).
29.9.1920 Sold to The Valiant Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull Charles H, Dugglsby, manager).
17.4.1925: Sold to Midland Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Frederick Langley, manager).
5.3.1926: Arrived Hull from an Icelandic trip and reported that Thomas Smith, trimmer, was washed overboard in severe weather and lost.
14.7.1927: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Marr Jnr, manager).
13.8.1927: Hull registry closed.
16.8.1927: Registered at Fleetwood (FD167).
7.11.1932: Mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London. Pre 8.1938: Laid up at Fleetwood.
18.9.1941: Sold to Sir Alec Black, Bart, Grimsby.
29.9.1941: Fleetwood registry closed. (8.10.1941: Certificate cancelled).
30.9.1941: Registered at Grimsby (GY368).
2.1943: Sold to J. E. Harrison, Grimsby.
5.1943: Sold to J. C. Ross, Grimsby (H. W. Wilson, manager). 1943: Landed at Hull from North Sea/Faroe – 1 trip, 1,881 kits.
1944: Delete manager.
7.1946: Sold to Grimsby Merchants Amalgamated Trawling Co Ltd, Grimsby (Grimsby Industries (Trawler Managers) Ltd, managers).
1948: Delete managers.
8.1953: Sold to G. F. Sleight & Sons Ltd, Grimsby.
1.1954: Registered at Grimsby as REGGIO (GY368).
24.10.1955: Sailed Grimsby for Westerly grounds (Sk. George F. White); thirteen crew.
6.11.1955: On grounds west of Nun Bank, north of Cape Wrath. In afternoon stowed gear and set course for home. At 5.30 pm Sule Skerry was abeam, 2 miles by radar, set course SEbyE. The weather was fine and clear with little wind. At 6.30 pm. the mate, James B. Butters took over the watch and was instructed by the skipper to switch on the radar at 10.00 pm when approaching Hoy. No land was seen visually or on radar until the vessel stranded at full speed on the sandy beach in Rack Wick, Hoy.
7.11.1955: On the rising tide came clear and proceeded to Scrabster for diver inspection.
9.11.1955: Certificate of Seaworthiness granted for single voyage to Grimsby.
11.11.1955: Arrived Grimsby. Slipped where extent of damage to bottom plating and internals made vessel beyond economical repair.
12.1955: Sold to Van Heyghen Freres S.A., Ghent for breaking up.
1.1956: Arrived Ghent.
10-12.4.1956: At the Formal Investigation held at Grimsby, it was found that the stranding was due to the improper navigation by both the Skipper and Mate. Skipper White had his certificate suspended for eighteen months and the Mate, James Butters had his certificate suspended for twelve months.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Lord Knollys FD167

S.T. Lord Knollys H327
Picture courtesy of The Alan Hirst Collection

S.T. Reggio GY368

S.T. Reggio GY368
Picture from the Internet

19/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
06/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
30/04/2021: Updated history and added an image.