S.T. Miletus FD349

Additional information courtesy of Chris Petherbridge, Hull Trawler Website, and Birgir Þórisson

Official Number: 139263
Yard Number: 156
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 313
Net Tonnage: 126
Length: 135.3 ft
Breadth: 23.6 ft
Depth: 12.5 ft
Engine: 84hp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Livingstone & Cooper Ltd, Hessle


13.3.1915: Launched by Livingstone & Cooper Ltd, Hessle (Yd.No.156) for Herbert Field, Hull as MILETUS.
8.1915: Completed.
11.8.1915: Registered at Hull (H366). Herbert Field designated managing owner.
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1886). Employed as a Special Service Vessel. Based Portsmouth.
1917: Based at Yukonski, Russia, minesweeping.
1917: Icelandic trawler-owners sold 10 trawlers to the French navy. Export licence was contingent upon replacing the ships as soon as possible after the war.
11.11.1918: Sold to Magnus B. J. Wedum, Fleetwood. Magnus B. J. Wedum designated managing owner.
1919: Icelandic trawler-owners ordered 11 new trawlers from Britain and 5 from Germany.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
8.9.1919: Sold to The Wyre Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
17.9.1919: Hull registry closed.
22.9.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD349). Magnus B. J. Wedum designated manager.
1920: Delivery of new Icelandic trawlers delayed, in case of England by strikes. Fearing to lose the main salting season (March-June), several owners resorted to leasing trawlers from Fleetwood.
3.1920: Hired by Icelandic owners for the salting season and based Hafnarfjörður.
10.10.1921: Renamed LOWTHER (FD349).
15.3.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
16.3.1928: Registered at Hull (H403).
7.6.1929: Hull registry closed.
14.6.1929: Registered at Fleetwood (FD48).
6.4.1932: Off Sanda Island stood by RIVER KENT (FD75) disabled with rudder lost and jury rudder carried away.
7.4.1932: On arrival of EDWARD CATTELLY (FD204), departed for fishing grounds.
27.9.1937: Fishing 40 miles north of Flannan Islands (Sk. T. Barcock), sustained fractured tail shaft. Steam trawler CALDEW (FD347) although the nearest vessel took four hours to reach the casualty. Connected via rocket line and commenced tow for Fleetwood.
30.9.1937: Delivered Fleetwood 60 hours later after 400 mile tow in moderate weather.
17.10.1937: On completion of repairs sailed Fleetwood for fishing grounds carrying a wreath to to be cast into the sea off Portrush, Co. Antrim in memory of the loss of steam trawler MALAGA (GY393) which disappeared in a severe storm on 18.10.1935 with the loss of all her crew.
29.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out for minesweeping duties (P.No.FY.782) (Hire rate £86.1.6d/month).
1943: Merchants (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood appointed managers.
1.1946: Returned after survey and restoration at Liverpool.
1948: Renamed WYRE LAW (FD48).
10.1952: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland grounds (Sk.George Wood); thirteen crew all told.
22.10.1952: Fishing off the coast of Isle of Lewis when wind freshened and SE gale sprang up. Hauled gear and headed for Broad Bay, Isle of Lewis to shelter.
23.10.1952: At 3.00 am in total darkness, stranded in the bay and immediately started to flood in the stokehold. Boat launched and siren sounded. Anchored close by was the steam trawler CHARLE DORAN (FD275) (Sk.Charlie Robinson) and on hearing the distress siren, weighed anchor and moved in close to enable survivors to be taken onboard from the boat. Crew landed at Stornoway.
10.1952: With the ship upright and stable, Skipper and Chief Engineer (L. J. Snape) remained in Stornoway and pumps and other equipment was sent up to Lewis in the WYRE CORSAIR (FD287) along with a salvage tug. Unfortunately severe weather returned before an attempt to salvage could be made. Within the week she started to settle and the attempt was abandoned.
12.1952: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Lowther FD349

S.T. Lowther FD349
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Lowther FD48

S.T. Lowther FD48
Picture from the Internet

HMT Lowther

HMT Lowther
Frederick Farrow holding the dog
Picture courtesy of The Dennis Fletcher Collection

S.T. Wyre Law FD48

S.T. Wyre Law FD48
Picture courtesy of The Frank Pook Collection

S.T. Wyre Law FD48

S.T. Wyre Law FD48
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Wyre Law FD48

S.T. Wyre Law FD48
Wreck pictures courtesy of The David Buckley Collection

27/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
19/03/2015: Picture added.
12/11/2015: Updated information.
29/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
21/08/2017: Added pictures of wreckage.
30/05/2019: Updated the information.
18/04/2020: Updated history and added an image.