S.T. Richard Crofts LO365


Admiralty Number: 3720
Official Number: 143931
Yard Number: 396
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 290
Net Tonnage: 127
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots


13.6.1918: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.396) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as RICHARD CROFTS (Ad.No.3720).
29.11.1918: Commissioned.
3.12.1918: Completed (1-12pdr).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty in the Registry of British Ships at London. Official No.143931.
4.5.1920: Withdrawn from auction at Milford.
5.1920: Sold to Iago Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven (Charles Curzon, manager).
2.6.1920: Registered at London (LO365).
1930: Transferred to Fleetwood when Edward D. W. Lawford moved his vessels to the port.
05.02.1932: While in Wyre Dock Joseph Ince fell from a ladder and died from his injuries.
8.1939: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties (Hire rate £87.0.0d/month).
5.1940: Returned to owner.
15.7.1941: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.530).
6.8.1945: Returned to owner after survey and restoration at Glasgow.
5.1946: Sold to Lewis, Wilcox & Co Ltd, Milford Haven.
1.1947: Escorted Swansea steam trawler DONESSE (SA21) to Castletownbere, Co. Cork.
2.1947: On a trip to the Porcupine Bank ground SW of Ireland (Sk. Bobby Kettle).
10.2.1947: In the early morning in heavy seas and high wind, observed steam trawler CAPSTONE (FD78) (Sk. James Harper) blowing and in distress. Closed and found her waterlogged having shipped heavy seas. Prepared to pick up survivors if necessary but decided with Sk. Harper to make for Castetownbere, Co. Cork just over 100 miles away.
11.2.1947: Arrived Castletownbere safely with CAPSTONE.
6.1952: Sold to Milford Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven (James C. Ward, manager).
6.1952: London registry closed.
10.6.1952: Registered at Milford (M229).
14.2.1953: Sailed Milford for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. Harry Rich).
20.2.1953: In thick fog and rough seas grounded on Roaring Jake reef near Cornaig Beg on east coast of Coll, Inner Hebrides. Mayday, life-float launched but vessel slipped off reef and foundered; assisted by Coll lifesaving team, four crew * reached shore but eight men including the skipper were lost +. Wreck lies in 17m.
30.5.1953: Milford registry closed.

(* Saved – Reginald J. Davies, Neyland 2nd Eng; firemen, Joe Vliestra, Hakin & Haydn M. Jones, Pembroke Dock and deckhand Thomas Donovan, Milford)

(+ Lost – Sk. Harry Rich, Hakin; Walter C. Hollowell, Johnston, Mate; John C. Owen. Milford, Bosun; George R. Coe, Milford, 3rd hand; Charles D. Toombs, Hakin, Ch Eng; deckhands, Edgar J. Taylor & John J. Turrell, both Milford and Norman S. Rees, Milford)

(Richard Crofts, Private, Marine, age 26, b. Coventry, Warwickshire – VICTORY (ML84))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Richard Crofts LO365

S.T. Richard Crofts LO365
Picture courtesy of The Peter Green Collection

04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/12/2015: Information updated.
14/01/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.