Official Number: 124688
Yard Number: 96
Gross Tonnage: 270
Net Tonnage: 95
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23.1 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole
Boiler: R. Stephenson & Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne
20.2.1907: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.96) for The Cygnet Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as SWAN.
5.1907: Mortgaged to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
10.5.1907: Registered at Fleetwood (FD116). Richard W. Mason appointed manager.
1.11.1911: Thomas Cardwell appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 103.72 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.136).
12.1915: Renamed SWAN III.
1919: Returned to owner and reverted to SWAN (FD116).
1.11.1919: Mortgage (A). Mortgagee changed name to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London.
3.1921: Sailed Fleetwood for South West Irish grounds (Sk. H. Martin); eleven crew.
7.3.1921: In thick fog in the Western Approaches, approx 80 miles off Lands End, run down by Seattle registered steamer EDGEMONT (6865grt/1919), Baltimore for Antwerp, struck amidships and foundered in approx position 49°26N/11°14W. Six men lost and five put onboard the ARLEY (FD44) and returned to Fleetwood.
18.3.1921: Fleetwood registry closed.
(Lost. Sk. B(H) Martin; A. Wignall, Bosun; G. Bond, 2nd engineer; Wairing, fireman, McFallon, deckhand and T. Allen, cook.
Survivors. T. Welch, mate; R. Wilson, Chief engineer; Charles Thomas, deckhand; A. Cooley, deckhand and J. Morris, fireman.)
Click to enlarge images
7/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
16/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.