Official Number: 121610
Yard Number: 804
Gross Tonnage: 226
Net Tonnage: 87
Length: 120.5 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: T.3-cyl by W.V.V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
1906: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.804) for David Pettit,Milford; Morgan W. Howells, Hakin & Joseph W. Johnson, Neyland as CALIPH.
27.8.1906: Registered at Milford (M197) (David Pettit, managing owner).
19.11.1907 Fishing 180 miles WNW of Isles of Scilly (Sk. Alfred J. Kersey), at 6.30 pm. George Lednor (19), caught in sheave and lost leg. Landed at Queenstown but subsequently died.
18.5.1908: When fishing some 300 miles west of Lundy (Sk. Thomas Leggett) in collision with Cardiff owned steam trawler EUPHRATES (H329) (Sk. Bush) which sustained heavy damage to port side shell plating at bow.
20.5.1908: EUPHRATES arrived Swansea.
27.7.1908: Sold to David Pettit & Joseph W. Johnson, Milford Haven.
7.3.1911: About 18 miles off St. Ann’s Head (Sk. Thomas Leggett) in collision with drifter VERA (SN353); damage to bow.
21.1.1912: Sold to David Pettit, Milford Haven (managing owner).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 86.61 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA, 1-3.5” A/S Howitzer and Hydrophone) (Ad.No.133).
1917: Based at Portland. In company with HMTrawler MARISTO (Ad.No.1987)(M14) attacked a German submarine and claimed an unconfirmed kill.
1919: Returned to owner.
1.1928: Stranded at Helvick Head, nr Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, sustaining damage to rudder and after peak.
27.1.1928: Refloated by Cork tug MORSECOCK (325grt/1877)
28.1.1928: Arrived Passage West, Co. Cork for repair.
3.1.1933: Left Valentia (Sk. Jack H. Ryan) to assist Norwegian steamer HEILO (989g/1921). Stood by.
5.1.1933: Connected but tow parted. 6/7/1.1933: Stood by HEILO.
8.1.1933: To Valentia and located tug. Returned and stood by.
9.1.1933: At 9.30 am. released and left for Milford.
25.10.1934: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Blackpool manager).
21.11.1934: Sold to Harley & Miller Ltd, Liverpool (Richard H. Jones, Wallasey, manager).
1934: Milford registry closed.
22.11.1934: Registered at Liverpool (LL46).
6.1937: Sold to Edgar E. Carter, Milford Haven (managing/owner).
10.7.1937: Liverpool registry closed.
12.7.1937: Registered at Milford (M234).
7.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Hire rate £56.10.0d/month).
21.6.1940: In Western Approaches, picked up nine crew members of the Newcastle registered steam tanker SARANAC (12,049grt/1918) (Capt Vernon H. Alcock) Convoy QA172, which had foundered about 270 miles SW of Lands End having been torpedoed and hit by gunfire from U-boat (U51). Landed survivors at Berehaven, Co. Cork. Master and thirty survivors picked up by HMS HURRICANE (P.No.H06) (Lt Cdr H. C. Simms RN) and landed at Plymouth.
2. 11.1941: On Irish grounds (Sk. ??). About 12 miles south of Old Head of Kinsale foundered after being bombed by German aircraft. Crew picked up by SLEBECH (M199) and landed at Milford.
4.11.1941: Thomas Swingler, Bosun died in hospital of injuries sustained in attack.
17.11.1941: Milford registry closed.
6.1942: Sk. Thompson, Hakin, skipper of SLEBECH awarded MBE and Ch. Eng. George Henry Springer awarded BEM, for bravery in rescuing crew of CALIPH.
Click to enlarge image
11/03/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
24/10/2019: Updated information and added an image.