Yearly Archives: 2009

S.T. Varanga GY61

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 160968
Yard Number: 517
Completed: 1929
Gross Tonnage: 361
Net Tonnage: 171
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13.3 ft
Engine: 600ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley, 1929
Owner: Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood

History

14.3.1929: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.517) for The Atlas Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as VARANGA.
17.4.1929: Registered at Grimsby (GY61).
17.4.1929: Frank Somerville Letten & Edward Cyril Grant appointed managers.
25.4.1929: Completed.
13.4.1934: Frank Somerville Letten appointed manager.
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1625)(Hire rate £169.19.5d/month).
11.1945: Returned.
15.3.1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
10.4.1946: Percy Campbell, Cleveleys appointed manager.
15.11.1946: Registered at Grimsby as RED CRUSADER (GY61) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1544/1946 dated 19.10.1946).
30.7.1947: Grimsby registry closed.
7.1947: Registered at London (LO462).
11.1949: Homeward from an Icelandic trip (Sk. N. Rogerson), stranded in darkness while on passage through the Sound of Islay. Refloated.
9.1954: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood.
1955: Sold to Jacques Bakker & Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
9.4.1955: Arrived Bruges with tow, WYRE WARRIOR (FD178) picked up at Milford Haven.
16.4.1955: Delivered.
4.1955: London registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Varanga GY61

S.T. Varanga GY61
Picture courtesy of Jeffrey Pullen

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 4 revisions since then,
07/12/2014: Picture added.
23/12/2017: Removed FMHT watermark.

S.T. Red Charger LO460

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger

Technical

Official Number: 162198
Yard Number: 549
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 369
Net Tonnage: 149
Length: 143.6 ft
Breadth: 24.5 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: 96nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

30.7.1930: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.549) for F. & T. Ross Ltd, Hull as ARKWRIGHT.
3.9.1930: Registered at Hull (H314).
10.9.1930: Completed. Percy Ross designated manager.
25.7.1939: Insured value £14,500.
24.8.1939: Sailed Hull for Bear Island (Sk. A. Wilson). Ordered to return from sea for requisitioning.
30.8.1939: Arrived Hull, 6 days steaming, no catch.
1939: To requisitioning, at Hull landed from Iceland/Bear Island (Sks. W. Isaacs, J. Wilson) 220 days 14,654 kits £11,063 gross.
31.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.653)(Hire rate £182.19.3d/month).
28.10.1939: Py/Ty/Lieut Hugh C. Slater RNR appointed CO.
1.4.1940: Relieved and appointed HM Drifter OCEAN REWARD as CO.
12.1945: Returned to owner.
3.1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Cdr. E. D. W. Lawford DSO, manager).
3.1946: Hull registry closed.
1.4.1946: Registered at London as RED CHARGER (LO460).
17.12.1952: Sheltering in Stornoway, hurricane force winds and heavy seas, called by RED CHARGER (LO460)(Sk. John Tomlinson) to come out to assist in connecting to the company steam trawler WILLIAM CALE (LO46) disabled and adrift some seven miles off Rubn’ Re Light, Wester Ross, with wire bridle fouling propeller. In the event services not required.
28.3.1955: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Hull (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager).
4.1955: Sold to BISCO and allocated to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon.
3.6.1955: Delivered Troon Harbour (draughts 5’6”/15’6”).
2.7.1955: Beached (draughts 7’3”/8’2”).
19.8.1955: Rebeached.
31.10.1955: Rebeached.
26.11.1955: Breaking completed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Arkwright H314

S.T. Arkwright H314
Picture courtesy of The Philip Dell Collection

HMT Arkwright

HMT Arkwright
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Red Charger LO460

S.T. Red Charger LO460
Picture courtesy of The Frans Schaap Collection

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
13/07/2015: Picture added.
08/01/2016: Image added.
07/12/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks and disputed image.
05/06/2021: Updated information.

The Reader Family

J. C. Reader

J. C. Reader


J C Reader

The association of the READER family with the fishing industry started with a Stephen READER who was born in Broadstairs, Kent on the 17th of November 1830 but moved to Scarborough in Yorkshire and became a fisherman. He married Helen PEART and they had thirteen children. Of those that survived childhood the sons became fishermen and the daughters married fishermen or boat builders!

John READER 1853 – 1922 was a fisherman. In 1871 Mate on the “Achilles” SH 525
Ann READER born on the 4th of July 1854 married a Scarborough fisherman Henry MATSON
Stephen Peart READER 1856 – 1872. In 1871 fish boy on his father’s fishing smack the “Achilles” SH 525
Patience READER 1858 – 1858
Thomas Robinson READER, 1858 – 1930 Fisherman. In 1881 Mate of fishing ketch “Acacia” SH 134
Ellen READER born on the 21st of January 1860 married Walter MORLEY. In the1881 Census Walter was the Third Mate on the fishing Boat “Evelyn & Maud”, George WHITTLETON, master. On the 16th of November 1892 the “Evelyn & Maud” was lost at sea, Daniel George READER; Ellen’s younger brother was on board.
William Henry Peace READER 1862 -1935 was a fisherman.
Robert Watson READER born in 1865 was a Fish Boy on his father’s fishing boat the “Acacia” in 1881.
Henry James READER born in 1867 was a fisherman.
Daniel George Brazer READER 1869 – 1870
Daniel George READER 1871 – 1892 was a fisherman
Sophia Ann READER 1872 – 1943 married James SMITH a boat owner and builder from Lowestoft in Suffolk. In 1901 Sophia’s occupation was described as a Beatster net mender working from home.
Sarah Evaline Maud READER 1875 – 1876
Stephen READER was skipper of the Dandy Yawl (Contrast) SH 221; of the fishing ketch “Acacia” SH 134 and the fishing smack (Achilles) SH 525
Stephen READER was skipper of the Dandy Yawl (Contrast) SH 221; of the fishing ketch “Acacia” SH 134 and the fishing smack (Achilles) SH 525.

THE FLEETWOOD CONNECTION

JOHN READER 1853 – 1922

John READER married Esther Elizabeth SHAW on the 17th of August 1875. They had two sons who were both born in Scarborough and lived in Fleetwood as fishermen.

Stephen Peart READER 1876 – 1954 and John William READER 1879 – 1951

STEPHEN PEART READER 1876 – 1954

Stephen Peart READER married Margaret GORE; they had eleven children that lived, five sons and six daughters all born in Fleetwood. All five sons were fishermen and held skippers certificates.

Daniel George READER 1903 – 1928 John Arthur READER 1905 – 1975

Stephen Herbert READER 1907 -1968 William R. READER 1911 – 1946

Henry READER 1912 – 1980

DANIEL GEORGE READER 1903 – 1928

Daniel George READER died when the steam trawler “Briarlyn” (ex “Patrick Cullen”) FD 220 which was owned by the Hewitt Fishing Company was sunk on the 13th of February 1928 off St. Kilda.

JOHN ARTHUR READER 1905 – 1975

John Arthur READER was a Mate and held a skipper’s ticket he married Janet FYALL in 1929. They had four sons and two daughters all born in Fleetwood.

John READER 1930 – He was a fisherman. Derek George READER 1932 – 2000 was fisherman.

Kevin READER 1939 – 1950. David READER 1945- is a fisherman.

STEPHEN HERBERT READER 1907 – 1968

Stephen Herbert READER born in 1907 married Marjorie Irene KING in 1929. They had three sons and three daughters, all were born in Fleetwood.

Stephen H. READER 1930 – 1999. He was a blacksmith.

William G. READER born in 1934 was a trawler skipper.

Michael READER born in 1945 was a fitter at Marr’s Fishing Company.

Stephen Herbert READER was the skipper of the steam trawler the “Agnes Whickfield” FD 32 out of Fleetwood.

WILLIAM R. READER 1911 – 1946

William R. READER was drowned at sea while serving as Mate of the steam trawler “Navena” on the 27th of July 1946.

Henry READER 1912 – 1980

Henry READER born 14th of October 1912 at Fleetwood was a fisherman all his life. In World War 2 he joined the Royal Naval Reserve as an officer. Henry READER was skipper of M.V. Wyre Conqueror FD187 after WW 2.

JOHN WILLIAM READER 1879 – 1951

John William READER was born on the 27th of April 1879 He was a fisherman and in World War 1 served in the Royal Navy Reserve onboard Minesweepers. He married Margaret Jane CORLETT in St. John’s Church, Liverpool in 1897. They had two sons and two daughters.

John Richard Corlett READER was born on the 5th of August 1900. Stephen Robert READER born on the 24th of March 1903 was a blacksmith’s striker at J. Marr and Son Ltd.

John William READER was the skipper on one-fourteenth and three-eighths of one-fourteenth shares in 1927
1. Of the Steam Trawler “Lincolnia ” FD 118 Owned by Magnolia Steam Fishing Company
2. Of the Steam Trawler “Kingston ” FD 144 Owned by R.W. Mason and Co.
3. Of the Steam Trawler “Rattler” FD 199 Owned by J. Marr and Son Ltd.

John William READER was skipper of the Steam Trawler “Sarrail ” FD 373 owned by Jonckheere & J.Nierinck

On one trip the average weekly sales were £100 14s 5d but the Balance was in Debt £2 11s 1d after 10.5 weeks sea time! (From Settling Sheet 8th September 1924 to 18th September 1927). Stories told by John William READER were reported in the FLEETWOOD CHRONICLE AND TIMES MARCH 17 1972

JOHN RICHARD CORLETT READER 1900 – 1973

John Richard Corlett READER born on the 5th of August 1900 married Ellen PORTER they had two daughters and two sons all born in Fleetwood In World War 1 John Richard Corlett READER was a seaman in the Royal Navy on minesweepers. After the War he was Bosun on the “Lizzie Melling” PN 45.
Circa 1938 skipper of the “Alonzo” H887.
Circa 1939 skipper of the steam trawler the ” Norene Mary”.

During the Second World War he served in the Royal Naval Reserve on Mine Sweeper Trawlers. The first was H.M.S. Brecon Castle a mine sweeper trawler built in 1916. Her Naval Pennant was FY 507 She was commissioned by the Admiralty in August 1939; then in 1940 the Mine Sweeper Trawler H.M.S. Alberic.
John Richard Corlett READER was the captain of H.M.S. Patti another mine sweeper trawler and Flotilla Leader which was built in 1929. Her Naval Pennant was 4.10280; she was commissioned by the Admiralty in 1941.

After the Second World War he moved to Lowestoft and became skipper of one of Boston Trawlers Ltd. diesel trawlers the “Lowestoft Lady “LT 247. On Saturday the 4th of February 1956 “Lowestoft Lady” starred in the B.B.C. Television programme “Saturday-Night Out – Goes to Sea”. Robert Beatty reported on the fishermen of Lowestoft, with Bob Danvers-Walker on board at sea.

Skipper’s Ticket for John William READER 24th February 1902 (Printed on linen) Skipper’s Ticket for John William READER 24th February 1902Reverse Certificate 6685 11 Trafalgar Road, Milford Haven Date of Birth 1978, Scarborough Issued at Liverpool Lieutenant John Richard Corlett READER Royal Navy Reserve

S.T. Rattray FD77

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall

Technical

Official Number: 110860
Yard Number: 341
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 181.58
Net Tonnage: 70.99
Length: 110.2 ft
Breadth: 21.2 ft
Depth: 11.4 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

8.11.1900: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.341) for The Fraserburgh & North of Scotland Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fraserburgh as RATTRAY.
12.1900: Completed. Samuel Robb, Aberdeen designated manager.
11.12.1900: Registered at Fraserburgh (FR834).
12.12.1900: Sailed Aberdeen for Fraserburgh.
20.12.1900: At Fraserburgh, landed over 100 boxes and 10 score of long fish from her maiden trip.
29.1.1901: Arrived Aberdeen (Sk. Whyman) with shell plate damage have drifted onto rocks at Cairnbulg, Aberdeenshire during a gale. Placed on pontoon, keel and six plates set-up. Repairs carried out at a cost of £200.
1902: Robert Laing, Aberdeen designated manager.
31.12.1907: Arrived Aberdeen and reported picking up boat belonging to the steam trawler STAR OF THE WEST (A548) which also arrived Aberdeen. The boat had been lost the previous day during stormy weather.
2.10.1907: On arrival at Aberdeen, Skipper reported the loss of the cook, Vannet Creighton Miller on 30th September whilst fishing in calm seas some 300 miles off Aberdeen in sight of the Holmen Light, Denmark. On hauling and with gutting taking place, Miller was seen washing a frying pan prior to making ready for breakfast. When the crew went aft, some half hour later, the cook was nowhere to be seen. A search was carried out and it was concluded that Miller had fallen overboard. The trawl was hauled and on a reciprocal course a search was carried out but there was no trace of the missing man. Set course for Aberdeen.
19.11.1907: At Aberdeen Sheriff Court the Sheriff gave judgement on the action brought by, Isabella Anderson or Miller, widow of the deceased, Vannet Creighton Miller and her children, against The Fraserburgh & North of Scotland Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fraserburgh for £300 compensation for the death of her husband. The Sheriff found in favour of the trawling company, that his disappearance is not accounted for by any accident arising out of his employment and therefore assoilzies (releases from blame) the respondents and entitles them to expenses, modified to £1 1s, from the claimants.
22.9.1908: At Aberdeen landed 200 boxes 6 scores long fish.
1909: Company experienced operating problems. Placed in voluntary liquidation.
4.1909: Sold to John Smart Jnr, North Shields.
3.4.1909: Sailed Aberdeen for North Shields.
9.1909: Fraserburgh registry closed.
4.9.1909: Registered at North Shields (SN104). John Smart Jnr designated managing owner.
1.11.1909: Reported sighting a Government floating target raft adrift some 15 miles NNE of Longstone Light as a danger to shipping.
27.3.1912: Arrived Aberdeen with injured mate, Thomas Haddaway (44), North Shields, who while hauling the trawl some 60 miles off Aberdeen, was flung to the deck injuring his back and head. Upon arrival he was transferred to the Royal Infirmary.
4.7.1912: At North Shields landed a twelve-foot shark; sold for 2/6d to the manure factory.
7.6.1913: When some three miles off the Tyne, fireman William Brown fell overboard while tipping ashes. Sk. John Duff jumped in after him, supporting him until the crew got them both back onboard. Brown’s condition was such that Sk. Duff returned to the Tyne for medical assistance.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Ad.No.357).
13.11.1914: At Lowestoft, parent ship HALCYON.
8.1915: Returned to owner.
10.1915: Sold to John Wintringham Smethurst, Grimsby.
13.10.1915: North Shields registry closed.
18.10.1915: Registered at Grimsby (GY720).
10.1916: Sold to L. Bloom, Grimsby.
1916: Sold to Henry Rachkind, Cleethorpes & others (trading as Rattray Steam Trawling Co). Henry Rachkind designated managing owner.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
1919: New boiler fitted.
1920: Arthur Bannister designated manager.
17.10.1921: At High Court, London, the High Court Official Referees resumed the hearing of the action in which J. Gibbing and Co., ship repairers, of St. Andrew’s Dock, Hull, claimed £3,209 against Rachkind and others (Rattray Steam Trawling Co.), Grimsby, the balance of charges for repairing the trawler. The defendants, who had already paid £2,600 in respect of work done to the vessel, pleaded, their defence, that the plaintiffs had agreed to do the work for £2,148, plus reasonable price for extras. They contended that the £2,600 which they had paid was sufficient to cover the plaintiffs’ claim. The defendants said that the vessel was required for the trawling season of 1920 and the plaintiffs agreed to complete the repairs in eight or nine weeks. The company did not complete the work until April of that year and defendants were in consequence deprived of the use of the vessel for twelve weeks, for which they counter claimed £250 a week (£3,000). The plaintiffs denied the defendants’ allegations, and said that they (the defendants) had ordered a large amount of additional work, which increased the price and caused the delay in respect of which the defendants were counter claiming. After the evidence had been taken, an arrangement was come to, by which judgment was entered for plaintiffs, on the claims for £3,150. On the counter claim, referee held by the contract, the plaintiff was not to be held responsible for the delay, and therefore dismissed the counter-claim.
21.10.1921: By order of the Sheriff of Lincolnshire, pursuant of a writ of Execution from the King’s Bench of the High Court of Justice to be sold by auction.
27.10.1021: At 3.00pm in the Royal Hotel, Grimsby, James Eves, auctioneer and valuer, offered for sale.
27.3.1922 (Regd): Sold to George King, John Smith, Alex Philip & John King, Aberdeen.
4.3.1922: Grimsby registry closed.
27.3.1922: Registered at Aberdeen (A872). George King designated managing owner.
16.12.1929: Sold to George Walker Fowler & Benjamin Allenby (joint owners), Aberdeen. George W. Fowler designated managing owner.
24.5.1931: Sold to George Walker Fowler, Aberdeen. George W. Fowler designated managing owner.
10.1.1934: Some 60 miles E of Aberdeen, disabled with trawl around propeller. Steam trawler ARORA (A320), which was steaming in her wake, connected and delivered Aberdeen.
8.1936: Sold to John Martin, Fleetwood (Gremar Steam Fishing Co, Fleetwood). John Martin designated managing owner.
8.9.1936: First landing at Fleetwood, 40 kits – 35 boxes 15 baskets £98 gross.
30.10.1936: At Barrow Magistrates Court, Sk. Wilfred David Edwards pleaded guilty to a charge of illegal trawling around the Leven estuary on 5th October and was fined £10 with £3 10 2d costs.
23.4.1937: Aberdeen registry closed.
20.5.1937: Registered at Fleetwood (FD77).
8.1937: Sold to Pair Fishing Co Ltd, Milford Haven. John Charles Llewellin designated manager.
17.9.1937: Fleetwood registry closed.
23.9.1937: Registered at Milford (M246).
15.11.1937: Sold to John C. Llewellin, Milford Haven.
9.6.1938: Sold to Henry J. Horwood, West Wickham.
27.11.1940: ‘Pareja’ fishing (Sk. C. K. Cornish) with steam trawler CHARMOUTH (M242) (Sk.J. Mengel) DEMS* AA weapons. When in position 53 30N 12 04W off the Co. Galway coast, at 2.30 GMT attacked by unidentified German aircraft dropping two delayed action bombs on the CHARMOUTH, both of which missed. Returned fire with machine guns, loosing several hundred rounds, the aeroplane finally leaving trailing black smoke. Little damage to the two trawlers, CHARMOUTH had cut her warps and Sk. Cornish recovered the net.
30.11.1940: Five German airmen recovered from an uninhabited island off the coast of Co. Kerry which they had reached in rubber boats after their aircraft had crashed in the sea about six miles off the Blasket Islands, Co. Kerry two days earlier. The Blaskets are approximately 60 nautical miles SE of the position given by the trawlers. Both trawlers credited with bringing down an enemy aircraft.
26.2.1941: Sold to Henry J. Richards, Ruislip.
24.6.1942: Last landing at Milford.
7.1942: Sold to Oliver Curphy, Oreston, Plymouth.
14.8.1942: Sold to Oliver Curphy, Oreston, Plymouth; Gerald Edward Leaman Whitmarsh, Plymouth; Stanley Sanger, London & Edward Hatherley, Plymouth. Oliver Curphy designated managing owner.
21.10.1946: Sold to Gerald E. L. Whitmarsh, Plymouth; Stanley Sanger, London & Edward Hatherley, Plymouth. Gerald E. L. Whitmarsh designated managing owner.
12.1.1949: Sold to Edward Whitmarsh, Edward Hatherley & S. Edgcumbe, Plymouth.
19.4.1950: Milford registry closed. Laid up.
3.1952: Sold to BISCO and allocated to John Cashmore Ltd, Newport, Monmouthshire for breaking up.

Note *: DEMS Gunners involved: RATTRAY – J. P. Luca; CHARMOUTH – C. Dyer. Both Milford Haven.

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
17/09/2020: Updated history.

S.T. Ratapiko A446

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall

Technical

Official Number: 129379
Yard Number: 367
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 247
Net Tonnage: 91
Length: 120.3 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: David Rowan & Co, Glasgow
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen, 1912

History

17.2.1912: Launched by Mrs George Shepherd, Aberdeen at John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.367) for John Gilbert Smith, Fleetwood as RATAPIKO.
3.1912: Completed.
14.3.1912: Registered at Aberdeen (A446). John Gilbert Smith designated managing owner.
27.1.1914: At Aberdeen Sheriff Court, John Taylor, ship painter, was fined 10/- with alternative of five days imprisonment for stealing a tin of fat from the ship on 18 or 19 January.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.347). Based Granton as an armed trawler.
19.9.1916: Detached on Special Service using name LENNARD.
7.10.1916: Hartlepool steamer JUPITER (2124grt/1901) stopped by U-boat (UB27) 40 miles NE by E from Longstone whilst on passage Archangel-Hull with timber. Scuttled but failed to sink.
8.10.1916: Connected and commenced tow to Firth of Forth until relieved by tugs and trawlers.
16.3.1917: An award was made in the Admiralty Court of £280 to the four crewmen who boarded the steamer JUPITER and the other crew members were awarded £322.
30.1.1918: Escorting Convoy T.M.15 in thick fog, at 1915 stranded on Longstone.
3.2.1918: Salvage underway but hampered by bad weather.
11.2.1918: Refloated and taken in tow by tug for Blyth.
21.4.1918: Returned after repairs on Tyne.
22.4.1918: Operating as a decoy trawler (using name St. GEORGE (SN49)) towing/and in company with HM S/M C.24 .
11.11.1918: Reverted to armed trawler.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1919: Sold to The Stepney Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Scarborough.
23.2.1920: Aberdeen registry closed.
27.2.1920: Registered at Scarborough (SH221). Abraham Moore designated manager.
2.9.1920: Converted to cargo. Re-measured 256.50g 99.47n.
2.9.1920: Scarborough Part IV registry closed. Registered as a cargo vessel. W. Aiston, Scarborough, designated manager (Winch removed and placed in MAGNOLIA (SH160)).
1.12.1920: Arrived Burntisland with broken glass from London via Blyth.
22.12.1920: Arrived Littlehampton from Newlyn with stone.
24.12.1920: Paid off. John George, Penzance,2nd Eng and James Mooney, Dundee, cook remained onboard.
26.12.1920: Smoke was seen coming from the vessel, Mooney was found asleep in the charthouse and after the fire was extinguished the body of John George was found in the cabin. A medical examination found that he died of suffocation.
28.12.1920: At the inquest of John George held at Littlehampton, the jury found that death was due to extensive burns, accidentally sustained. James Mooney, the cook, stated that they returned onboard on Christmas night and the deceased refused to allow him to sleep in the cabin and struck him over the head with a bottle. He made his way to the charthouse and remembered nothing until roused by the police.
31.1.1921: Arrived Grangemouth from London with cement.
22.2.1921: Arrived Aberdeen from Seaham with coals.
27.2.1921: Arrived Montrose, light, to load potatoes.
1.3.1921: Sailed for Cowes in company with the former trawlers, STAR of THE ORIENT (222g/1904) and the STAR of ENGLAND (220g/1912) all with potatoes.
31.7.1922: Sold to The Co-operative Steam Fishing Ltd, Scarborough. Christopher Naylor designated manager.
14.10.1923: Arrived Penzance chartered for Isles of Scilly service while PENINNIS (224g/1904) undergoing survey.
28.10.1924: Arrived Penzance chartered for Isles of Scilly service while Peninnis (224g/1904) undergoing survey.
12.1925: Surveyed at Hamburg.
11.1.1926: Sold to Thomas Harrison Scales, Newhaven, Edinburgh.
29.1.1926: Converted back to fishing. Re-measured 246.54g 90.41n.
29.1.1926: Registered at Scarborough Part IV (SH39) after conversion back to fishing. Thomas Harrison Scales designated managing owner.
10.8.1926: Due to continuing strike action by British coal-miners, arrived Leith from IJmuiden with coals.
14.10.1926: Due to continuing strike action by British coal-miners, arrived Leith from Terneuzen with coals.
1935: Change of address, Thomas H. Scales, Leith designated managing owner.
2.12.1929: Stranded on Mitchell’s Baa off Lerwick, Shetland, refloated with no damage.
1931: New boiler.
1934: Sold to Thomas H. Scales & Son, Newhaven, Edinburgh.
1936: Company re-styled, T. H. Scales & Sons Ltd, Newhaven, Edinburgh. Thomas H. Scales, Jnr designated manager.
4.4.1935: Scarborough registry closed.
16.4.1935: Registered at Leith (LH86).
2.7.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1878) (Hire rate £61.15.0d/month).
1.1942: Based Granton M/S Group 153.
12.1945: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to I. C. Macfarlane, ??.
1946: Sold to Kelvin Trawlers Ltd, Glasgow (Aberdeen). Registered at Leith as KELVINGROVE (LH86) and operating as a carrier for fish & liver oil.
1948: Returned to fishing.
1952: Sold to Heather Fishing Co Ltd, Newhaven, Edinburgh T. H. Scales & Sons Ltd designated managers.
1954: Sold to William Liston, Edinburgh. William Liston designated managing owner.
1956: Sold to BISCO (£4,150) and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd, Charlestown, Fife for breaking up (Contract No.3E).
14.5.1956: Delivered Charlestown from Granton under own power.
7.1956: Breaking up commenced.
7.1956: Leith registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Kelvingrove LH86

S.T. Kelvingrove LH86
Picture, at Granton, from the Internet

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
02/06/2018: Information updated. Added an image.