S.T. Rugby GY18

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 139924
Yard Number: 342
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 274
Net Tonnage: 123
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 22.8 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

20.7.1916: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.342) for William Grant (64/64), Grimsby as RUGBY.
16.8.1916: Completed.
10.11.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY994).
10.11.1916: William Grant designated managing owner.
11.1916: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.2979).
24.2.1917: William Grant (32/64) shares sold to William Henry Winslow (32/64), Grimsby.
24.2.1917: William Henry Winslow (32/64) shares mortgaged to William Grant, Grimsby for the sum of £4.750 with interest at 7% (A).
11.1917: Renamed RUGBY II. Based Dover.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby. Reverted to RUGBY (GY994).
3.12.1926: William Grant died.
13.4.1927: Probate granted to the Executors, Arthur Grant & John Wilfred Grant, Grimsby. William Grant ‘the younger’ , Navenby and Hugh Bourne Grant, Humberstone (joint owners).
28.5.1927: Joint owners (32/64) shares sold to John Wilfred Grant (11/64), Cleethorpes; Hugh Bourne Grant (11/64), Humberstone and Arthur Grant (10/64, Grimsby.
1.6.1927: John Wilfred Grant designated managing owner.
1.6.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Arthur Grant, John Wilfred Grant, Cleethorpes & Hugh Bourne Grant, Humberstone (joint mortgagees).
12.8.1929: Mortgage (A) transferred to Hugh Wilfred Grant, Cleethorpes & Hugh Bourne Grant, Humberstone (joint mortgagees).
28.2.1930: John Wilfred Grant (11/64) and Hugh Bourne Grant (11/64) shares sold to The Rugby Steam Fishing Co Ltd (22/64), Grimsby.
7.3.1930: Arthur Grant (10/64) shares sold to The Rugby Steam Fishing Co Ltd(32/64), Grimsby.
13.3.1930: John Wilfred Grant appointed manager.
31.3.1930: Mortgage (A) transferred to J.W, H.B & C.A. Grant Ltd, Grimsby.
31.12.1930: Mortgage (A) discharged.
31.12.1930: William Henry Winslow (32/64) shares sold to The Rugby Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
16.1.1931: John Wilfred Grant appointed manager.
16.8.1932: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (B).
1.3.1934: Sold by mortgagee under mortgage (B) to Harry Robinson (48/64) shares sold to Fred Dawson Robinson (16/64), Grimsby.
14.3.1934: Harry Richardson designated managing owner.
13.3.1935: Harry Richardson designated managing owner.
7.7.1936: Fred Dawson Robinson (16/64) shares mortgaged to Harry Robinson, Grimsby (C).
11.3.1938: Mortgage (C) discharged.
11.3.1938: Fred Dawson Robinson (16/64) shares sold to Harry Robinson (64/64), Grimsby.
5.7.1939: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Arnold Arthur Beardsall, Grimsby (D).
14.8.1939: Mortgage (D) discharged.
14.8.1939: Sold to The Earl Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
15.8.1939: Sir Alec Black, Bart appointed manager.
10.12.1940: Sold to Sir Alec Black, Bart (64/64), Grimsby.
12.12.1940: Sir Alec Black, Bart designated managing owner.
30.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a patrol vessel (FY.4.162) (Hire rate £77.12.8d/month). Based Grimsby on Fishery Protection.
10.9.1941: Sold to North Star Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen (John A. Harrow, manager).
22.9.1941: Grimsby registry closed.
22.9.1941: John Alexander Harrow appointed manager.
25.9.1941: Registered at Aberdeen (A518).
10.1941: Converted for minesweeping duties (magnetic).
7.1943: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
10.1943: Fitted out as a fuelling trawler (Esso)(33ton tank for refuelling diesel landing craft) (P.No.Y7.30).
6.1944: Operation Neptune-Normandy Landings. Assigned as a fuelling trawler to Force G.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended. Reverted to miscellaneous Naval duties.
11.1944: Sold to Parkholme Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
11.1944: Aberdeen registry closed.
16.11.1944: Registered at Grimsby (GY18). Harvey Wilfred Wilson, Grimsby appointed manager.
26.11.1944: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (E).
2.12.1945: Mortgage (D) discharged.
29.3.1946: Sold to Tilbrook Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven (Arthur Ernest Rees, Neyland, manager).
30.3.1946: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Lloyds Bank Ltd, London (F).
22.5.1946: Returned to owner.
2.7.1946: First landing at Milford (Sk. Utting).
4.8.1947: Last landing at Milford.
6.8.1947: Sailed Milford for Hull and to fish from that port.
5.8.1948: Mortgage (F) discharged.
7.8.1948: Sold to Joseph Croan (64/64), Edinburgh (managing owner).
20.4.1951: Grimsby registry closed.
4.1951: Registered at Leith (LH92).
1955: Sold to BISCO (£2,400) and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd, Charlestown, Fife for breaking up (Contract No.76D).
24.3.1955: Delivered Charlestown from Granton under own power.
4.1955: Breaking up commenced.
9.7.1955: Leith registry closed “Vessel broken up”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Rugby GY18

S.T. Rugby GY18
Picture courtesy of www.grantontrawlers.com

S.T. Rugby

S.T. Rugby
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

Changelog

29/02/2012: Page published. 8 updates since then.
06/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.