S.T. Cameo FD38

Technical

Official Number: 109027
Yard Number: 188
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 172
Net Tonnage: 67
Length: 110.2 ft
Breadth: 21.0
Depth: 10.9 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow

History

A design submitted by Mackie & Thomson, Govan was approved by the Kingston board and four vessels were ordered. Contracts were signed with the shipyard to build the vessels, and supply engines and boilers. The names chosen were AMBER, AMETHYST, BERYL and CAMEO. Total cost with amendments, fees, classification, fishing gear, stores and coal £5,208.9s.6d.

5.3.1898: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.188) for The Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as CAMEO.
5.1898: Completed trials and accepted (Lawrence Spring, manager).
12.5.1898: Registered at Hull (H394).
5.9.1914: On a North Sea trip (Sk. Frederick William Wollaston). Picked up several crew members and passengers from the Hull steamer RUNO (1654grt/1902) which was mined after entering a known minefield off the East Coast whilst on passage, Hull-Archangel with Russian reservists and their families.
1.10.1915: The Lord Mayor of Hull presented Sk. Wollaston with a gold watch and the Albert Medal for his part in the rescue of survivors. Later awarded BoT Silver Medal for Gallantry at Sea
2.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr later 1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1216). Based Peterhead Unit 42.
16.7.1915: Unit 42, at 0830 am. in position 57.20N 0.40E patrolling in a rough line to the NW in the following order SEA RANGER (Ad.No.1219) (H188) (Lieut. H. J. Bray RNR), EASTWARD HO (Ad.No.1217)(H415) and CAMEO (Sk. Albert Sayer RNR) approximately 2 miles apart. SEA RANGER observed a steamer steering erratically and detached to close her to investigate. Found Norwegian steamer VAAGEN (201grt/) picking up lumber lost from her deck cargo. At the same time Sk. Sayer turned southwards to examine a boat that had passed and sighted a surfaced submarine to the SW steaming towards him. Action Stations, hoisted signal and turned towards submarine which fired a shot at him falling short followed by at least four other shots that also fell short. At 2000yds submarine opened fire with two guns, returned fire but hit three times in fore part of wheelhouse, smashing wheel and wounding Sk. Sayer on right side and eye by splinters. Second shot hit starboard quarter while the third shot exploded in the galley. Believed that submarine was hit two or three times at the fore end in all 11 rounds fired. EASTWARD HO, becoming aware of the action, steered towards them and submarine ceased firing and headed away to the westward on the surface. SEA RANGER sighted the submarine 4 to 5 miles to the southwestwards and gave chase trying to cut her off with EASTWARD HO also in pursuit but due to superior speed, the submarine escaped (See Note 2).
10.10.1917: Arthur Taylor appointed manager.
14.8.1918: To be returned to owners.
22.9.1918: Arrived at Hull for reconditioning at a price of £1,350 agreed with The Admiralty this included 3 weeks hire during reconditioning.
26.9.1918: Returned off charter.
7.10.1918: Slipped.
17.10.1918: Off hire.
5.11.1918: Sailed in convoy for the North Sea fishing grounds.
8.3.1919: Sold to Henry Lackie, Bradford (East Hull Steam Fishing Co Ltd Hull) through Knowles & W. A. Massey & Sons Ltd, Hull, deposit £1,150, shipbrokers commission £400.
19.03.1919: Balance paid £10,350; total £11,500 including fishing gear.
20.3.1919: Benjamin Knowles appointed manager.
8.9.1919: Sold to Hollinwood Steam Trawling Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Benjamin Knowles, manager).
12.4.1927: Sold to Thomas & Charles Hudson, Hull (Charles Hudson, manager).
21.4.1927: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (George Altoft, manager).
31.5.1928: Sold to Kenneth Pocklington, Hull.
7.7.1928: Sold to Holderness Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Kenneth Pocklington, manager).
1930: K. Pocklington & J. C. Wood appointed managers.
21.5.1935: Sold to Richard Bettess, Fleetwood (The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, managers).
21.5.1935: Hull registry closed.
19.6.1935: Registered at Fleetwood (FD38).
12.1.1938: Outward on evening tide for fishing grounds (Sk. J. Ainsworth) in collision with a yacht in Wyre Channel. Yacht on an angling trip sank and four men rescued but two drowned.
30.11.1938: Off Llandudno fire in forecastle. Proceeded to Llandudno pier escorted by the Caernarvon mfv VIDA (BS110); fire extinguished by fire brigade.
7.5.1943: Typical wartime landing. 320 kits – cod/codling-288, whiting-8, ling/coley-16, roker-8.
10.1953: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
5.11.1953: Delivered Barrow-in-Furness from Fleetwood under own power.
1.1954: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Note 1: Electric lighting never installed; oil and carbide lighting only.)
(Note 2: Research by Peter Bell and Michael Lowery has identified the submarine as U19. In her KTB she claimed two hits on CAMEO and accurate firing from CAMEO’s 3-pdr. Sk. Sayer was awarded DSC and gunner the DSM.)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Cameo FD38

S.T. Cameo FD38
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Cameo FD38

S.T. Cameo FD38
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Cameo H394

S.T. Cameo H394
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

Changelog
18/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
14/10/2017: Removed disputed image and FMHT watermarks.
27/10/2019: Updated information.